MSU in action! - 9th Age! New Battle Report!

Tales of your glorious victories and bitter defeats

Moderator: Keepers of the Peace

SmithF
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

MSU in action! - 9th Age! New Battle Report!

Postby SmithF » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:33 am

SUMMARY

The MSU Empire Chronicles (7th edition book)
1. Dark Elves (monster mash)
2. High Elves (Shadowmage)
3. High Elves (short report)
4. Tomb Kings (Razon)
5.Skaven
6. Ogres (Shadownet)
7. Ogres (deathstar)
8. Warriors of Slaanesh
9. High Elves
10. Daemons MSU
11.Skaven
12. Lizardmen (Kanadian)
13. Dwarfs (castle)
14. Skaven (Wardancer)
15.Lizardmen (Conan)
16. Vampire Counts (Edrulfo)
17.Ogre Kingdoms

MSU Empire 8th edition book
(List)
1. Dark Elves
2. Ogre Kingdoms
3. Lizardmen (The Kremlin)
4. Warriors of Chaos (Razon)

Guest Reports
1. Warriors of Chaos MSU vs Lizardmen
2. Dwarves MSU vs Orcs and Goblins
3. Warriors of Chaos MSU vs Goblins (Squigkikka)
4. Orcs and Goblins MSU vs Lizardmen (Kanadian)
5.Grudgebringer Empire vs Skaven (Frapermax)
6. MSU Dwarves vs High Elves (Pkng)

The Fluffyhammer Chronicles (list)
1.Vampire Counts
2. Ogre Kingdoms
3. Orcs and Goblins

MSU Wood Elves: The 2013 Challenge
1. Dark Elves
2. Lizardmen
3. Dwarves

Tournament Report
4. High Elves
5. Dark Elves
6. Daemons of Chaos
7. Dark Elves
8. Warriors of Chaos
AFTERMATH

9. Vampire Counts

BGO 2013
Introduction
10. Wood Elves
11. High Elves
12. Empire
13. Warriors of Chaos
14. Dark Elves

So, what is this all about? This thread in the Warhammer fantasy section prompted me to start yet another Battle Report topic, reporting games played with an unusual, MSU army. I’ve always liked the empire and the mental image of common folk standing up against monsters and supernatural foes, but the standard empire builds do nothing for me, fluff-wise. Here’s what I came up with:

HEROES:
Archlector, Armour of Meteoric Iron, GW, Van Horstmann's Speculum
Wizard Lord, lvl4, Ironcurse Icon (Metal)
Captain, BSB, FPA, Barded Warhorse
Captain, Pegasus, FPA, Charmed Shield, Sword of Fate, Potion of Foolhardiness
Captain, Pegasus, FPA, Shield, Lance, Casket of Sorcery

CORE:
40 Halberdiers, Standard, Musician
-10 Halberds (detachment)
-10 Halberds (detachment)
5 Knights, Standard, Musician
5 Knights, Standard, Musician
14 Flagellants, Prophet

SPECIAL:
10 Greatswords, Musician
10 Greatswords, Musician
10 Greatswords, Musician
5 Outriders
5 Outriders
Mortar
Mortar

RARE:
14 Flagellants, Prophet
14 Flagellants, Prophet

For my third game I faced a quite powerful dark elf build:

Dreadlord on Black Dragon, Caledor’s Bane, Crown of Command, 1+ Save, 5+ ward
Sorceress, Lvl2, Dark Magic, Death Mask
Sorceress, Lvl2, Dark Magic, Feedback Scroll

40 Corsairs, Musician
22 Repeater Crossbows, Musician
5 Harpies
5 Harpies

20 Black Guard, Musician
6 Shades, Extra Hand Weapons
6 Shades, Extra Hand Weapons

War Hydra
War Hydra

So all in all a very compact, very hard-hitting 8th edition army.

Magic: My Wizard lord got Glittering Robe, Golden Hounds of Gehenna, Final Transmutation and the Signature spell.
The sorceresses rolled Word of Pain/Dark Horror and Doombolt/Signature spell respectively.
The sword of Fate singled out the hydra that was deployed on the far right side of the board.

We rolled a pitched battle scenario, and the deployment looked like this after vanguard moves:

*Explanation: knights-flagellants-2xgreatswords-Fate pegasus-outriders-flagellants-halberdier detachment w/wizard lord-halberd horde w/arch lector-greatswords-flagellants-halberdier det-Casketasus-knights-outriders*

Turn 1 - DE

Winning the roll for the first turn, the elves took it and advanced at full speed on both flanks. Magic was uneventful, the empire’s extra dice and +4 to dispel shutting down everything the elves cast. (in fact, dark elf magic played no part at all in this battle, so I won’t be mentioning it again).
Shooting was more effective, the crossbows managing to fell 6 flagellants from the unit in the centre. The shades put a wound on the Casket pegasus captain.

Turn 1 – EMPIRE

The empire declared some first turn charges: Leftmost greatswords charged the harpies, who held. Other harpies were charged by depleted flagellants, who missed by a very small margin. The knights forced one unit of shades to flee their charge and then redirected onto the other. Some shuffling and angling took place, and the archlector’s unit entered the building to benefit from that nice 12” leadership radius.
Magic saw an irresistible force low-power Searing Doom cast on the right hydra, claiming 3 of its wounds and making my mage lose the spell and a level. In other news, a Final Transmutation dropped 11 of the corsairs, without hurting the sorceress.
Shooting: One direct mortar hit on the crossbows claimed 7 of them and the outriders showered the wounded hydra with shots. Two failed regen saves later, the big beast was no more!
The knights predictably beat the shades and overrun into the black guard, for lack of a better plan. Greatswords made short work of the harpies and then reformed to face the incoming corsairs. (In hindsight, this reform could have cost me the game. More on this later.)

Turn 2- Dark Elves
The elves go on the offensive: The remaining hydra takes the flagellant bait (they are angled to ensure a flank charge from the nearby sword of fate captain), corsairs go into the victorious greatswords and the Dragon chases the outriders out of the table, stranding himself on the far right flank. The remaining harpies spot the middle greatswords’ flank and charge in. (they will be beaten and flee behind the house)The shades fail their rally test and keep on running.
Shooting sees the death of a couple more flagellants from crossbow bolts.
Now, looking at the previous turn’s picture, it becomes clear why the greatsword reform was not such a great move: It could potentially give an overrun path into the flagellants, who would be summarily murdered before they got to strike. Thankfully, this never came to pass as my opponent elected to fight the hydra combat first. (I’m also under the impression that the hydra placement wouldn’t have permitted the overrun charge anyway)
So, the hydra’s handlers screamed and slashed at the flagellants for two casualties.. The lunatics weren’t very impressed; they martyred a couple of their own, gaining hatred and re-roll failed to wound rolls. 13 s5 attacks later, a very dead hydra lay before their feet, before it even got to strike!
The corsairs made short work of the greatswords, but their overrun brought them 1” short of the now reformed flagellants. Finally, the Black Guard hacked knights to pieces and ran down the remnants.

Turn 2 – Empire
Now here comes the sneaky part: due to the reform of the flagellants last turn, the knights can barely wheel past them to charge the corsairs. This brings us to a forced clipping situation which is very favorable for the empire: With the Greatswords charging the flank and knights engaging the front in such a way, I’m denying my opponent his combat reform, keeping his horde pinned down and at the same time limiting the return attacks to a minimum. Not willing to give away free combat resolution points, the flagellants pass their frenzy check and gather daisies. The now depleted central flagellants force harpies to flee further away.
On the right hand flank, fleeing shades are ran down by Pegasus captain who reforms to face the crossbows. The rest of the army maneuvers to where it’s most needed.
No useful magic can be cast, so I forego the phase altogether.
Shooting whittles down crossbowmen to 10 strong.
Greatswords and knights hack away vs the corsairs for minimal losses in return, but the elves are steadfast and couldn’t care less.

Turn 3 – Dark Elves
With very little maneuver elements left, the turn is fast: Dragon moves up to threaten the empire front, Black guard reform, harpies rally and crossbows fail their quick reform test and just turn to face the outriders/Pegasus.
In combat, the corsairs yet again pass their stubborn ld test.

Turn 3 – Empire
The unscathed flagellant unit charges in, hitting the corsairs’ rear. The rightmost flagellants fail yet another very long charge against the crossbows. A bit of shuffling here and there, Pegasus captains flying in to threaten the remaining crossbows.
In the magic phase I manage to cast gehenna’s golden hounds on the dragon, only to have my mage feedbacked for two wounds. The dragon and his rider survived without a scratch! Pah!
Shooting goes a lot better for the empire: Two direct mortar hits on the black guard see them reduced to 5 models + sorceress, while the outriders whittle crossbowmen to under 25% and force them to flee after a failed panic check.
Combat: The corsairs strike first against the flagellants, portraying perfectly why the other flagellants didn’t dare a frontal assault; 7 flaggies die before they get to strike, another being martyrized. Thankfully for the empire, the return attacks fell 11 corsairs who, having lost their rank are no longer steadfast. They flee and are cut down by the imperial troops. (Fun fact: 3 out of 5 knights died in the pursuit, to rogue branches/forest roots)

Turns 4-6
No need to go into detail here, the rest of the battle featured a dragon rampaging amongst warmachines, my wizard lord casting gehenna’s golden hounds another 3 times, but by turn 6 the dragon still had 2 wounds left. The outriders shot the black guard some more, which leads us to turn 6:

The dragon declares a charge against the flagellants and –given the outcome of the game- I don’t bother challenging him with the prophet and pinning him into place for the rest of the game. So he kills the flagellants, overruns into the greatswords with wizard and makes short work of him. In return, the dragon is almost killed, a very shaky armour save roll leaving him with one wound remaining!

The other major combat was that of the black guard vs Pegasus captains: 4 pegasus attacks, 6 captain attacks and 2 stomps were not enough to kill the remaining three elves, but –fate being fickle and all – the dark elf elite fail their break test and are ran down before endgame:
Endgame:
The Empire has lost a unit each of: knights, outriders, flagellants, greatswords. Plus 2 mortars and the wizard lord.
Dark elves have a wounded Dreadlord on a nearly dead dragon remaining.

EMPIRE: 1925 points
DARK ELVES: 865 points

IMPERIAL VICTORY!
Last edited by SmithF on Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:23 pm, edited 84 times in total.

Are Verlo

Re: MSU Empire in action! (piccies!) 2500 points

Postby Are Verlo » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:20 am

So far so good! I´ve been following the MSU thread and love to see the battle unfold step by step.

Btw, where did you deploy your lvl 4? In the 40 strong halberdier unit or with some greatswords?

SmithF

Re: MSU Empire in action! (piccies!) 2500 points

Postby SmithF » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:38 pm

He was originally deployed within a 10-strong detachment of halberdiers, then moved to a greatsword unit. One of the tricks with the list is not giving any juicy targets for enemy big spells (black horror in this instance), shooting or elite combat units. So putting all of my magic power in my single biggest unit would create a 600-point objective for the enemy.

SmithF

Re: MSU Empire in action! (piccies!) 2500 points *GAME 2 ADDED*

Postby SmithF » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:25 pm

GAME 2 - High Elves

This was a game against ShadowMage, a very nice fellow who has been playing elves on and off for a long long time. His usual list comprises of two white lion hordes plus magic support plus chaff, but he wanted to try something else:
HEROES:
Archmage, Lvl4, Lore of Light, Ironcurse Icon, Annulian Crystal
Mage, Lvl 2, Lore of Light
Noble, BSB, Flaming Standard, mundane equipment

CORE:
30 Archers, Musician, Standard
17 Spearelves, standard, musician
10 Archers, musician

SPECIAL:
30 White Lions, Standard, Musician, Banner of Sorcery
Tiranoc Chariot
Tiranoc Chariot
Tiranoc Chariot

RARE:
Great Eagle
Great Eagle
Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower

(there probably were other items that didn't come into play)

Magic:
The Wizard lord got Glittering robe, Gehenna's Hounds, Transmutation of Lead and Final Transmutation
The Archmage got Signature spell, Banishment, Pha's Illumination and Birona's Timewarp
The lvl2 Mage got Signature spell and Amyntok's net

My opponent went for a refused flank maneuver, setting up a shooting battery centrally and protecting it with chariots. While I understand the idea of creating a no-go zone with shooting, I felt a little relieved to see the white lions so far off to the left side of the board, where they couldn't possibly do much damage early on.

The first turn went to the high elves, who gladly took it.

TURN 1 - HE
Not much movement from the high elves, apart from the white lions who went into the house and the chariots that shuffled a bit to create threat zones.
Magic saw an attempt to Banish my casket Pegasus dispelled, but I had to let through Pha's Illumination bubble, rendering my next turn's shooting less effective..
Shooting resulted in the death of the rightmost unit of outriders, a casualty from the other unit, while 20 archers' arrows bounced harmlessly off the knights' armour.

TURN 1 - Empire
Given the amount of shooting and the rate of death of my outriders, I had to move quickly to threaten the bolt throwers. The entire right side moved up, the pegasus captain threatening any chariots that dared charge the flagellants. the centre advanced in an organised manner as well, the small units trying to expand to provide cover to each other. Then I saw an opportunity: due to the very tight deployment of the elves, parking my pegasus captain in front of the house would create an important issue, unless the units blocking the white lions' exit charged out of the way. Careful not to provide any charges to the archers on the far left (who were also blocking the swordmasters), i advanced my knights with bsb to tempt the archer horde.
Magic was uneventful, due to the combined effect of a low roll, the annulian crystal and the +5 to dispel from the archmange. Shooting failed to impress as well, the outriders failing to wound a RBT and a mortar shell proving to be a dud, as it hit a chariot but failed to wound.

TURN 2- HE
The archers took the bait, charging in against the 1+ save knights. Thankfully, the chariot right beside them failed its charge by 1", leaving them unsupported. The elven left flank advanced at full speed this turn, white lions occupied the space left from the charging archers. Right hand flank played the positioning game, dancing around happily while the RBT prepared to erase another unit from the board!
Magic: All my dice went into dispelling Pha's Illumination on the archers, so Birona's Timewarp had to go through on them. Finally, 5 greatswords were Banished, the other five remaining muttering something about never having liked them anyway.
Shooting amounted for another dead outrider unit.
In combat, ninja elves struck first with 36 attacks, rerolling failed to hit rolls. Imperial steel would have none of that, though, and only 2 knights fell. The attacks back were not equally impressive, felling a single elf. After a shaky ld6 test, the knights stood their ground as the entire empire army was approaching.

TURN 2 - EMPIRE
Saying that I had the elves exactly were I wanted them wouldn't be true, but there were some countercharges to be had: Greatswords vs archers on the left, Greatswords + Flagellants (flank/front) vs the pinned down archers. The leftmost chariot fled from the pegasus captain's charge and got away. The git didn't pass his Ld test to redirect into the spearelf bunker. Oh well..
On the left hand flank all the units angled themselves in preparation for the inevitable turn 3 lion charge, while the right hand flank advanced at full speed to cover the distance between them and the RBT.
Magic was completely shut down, the elves being masters of magic and all.
Shooting fared better, one mortar shell killing 5 white lions and the other 4 swordmasters.
In combat the left archers received a beating from the GS, but stood their ground. In the main event, 40 something attacks from the archers bounced harmlessly off the knights' and the greatswords' armour. The flagellants martyred three of their own and killed 5 elves, the greatswords adding another 6 to the mix. When the smoke cleared, the archers were no longer steadfast, ran away and were cut down.

At this point, my opponent decided -to my surprise- to concede. He justified this by saying that his white lions would now be avoided all game long and that I'd be able to pick my battles as I saw fit. While it is one possibility, i feel the game was far from over. The positioning of the empire was better and the pegasus could start killing RBT (if he survived the barrage thanks to his Charmed Shield). As far as the lion unit is concerned, it is probable that it would end up sandwitched between knights and halberdiers on its two flanks, unable to reform while my troops would slowly kill the remaining lions. Furthermore, his magic didn't worry me while Final Transmutation could put a serious dent on that white lion unit.
So, a victory on paper but in a game that was far from over.

VICTORY to the empire!

SmithF

Re: MSU Empire in action! (piccies!) 2500 points *GAME 2 ADDED!*

Postby SmithF » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:36 pm

Short report of my latest game vs High Elves, which shows the limitations of the list as well: If NOTHING goes your way, the army won't win by itself. :)

Faced a high elf army comprising of:
Archmage, lvl4, Death magic, Silver Wand, Folaraith's robe
Mage, lvl2, Beasts, Seerstaff
Noble BSB, Banner of the world Dragon

50 Spearelves, FC
12 Archers, Banner, musician

27 White lions, FC, gleaming pendant
27 White lions, FC, stuff
10 White lions, Standard, Musician, Banner of Sorcery

2 Great Eagles

So, in esssence, a true to form 8th edition army.

The battle started out fine, with sort of a refused flank which left his spearelf bunker stranded along with a white lion brick, searching for opponents. I figured I could deal with the other units and redirect/whittle down the aforementioned juicy targets. Problems began when 14 flagellants with hatred and reroll to wound couldn't kill more than 2 white lions and lost 8 of their number to 8 attacks! The same motif continued for the rest of the game, with the empire throwing flank charging units at white lions, only to have the elves cause maximum number of wounds for little to no casualties. Really frustrating at times.
Failing to roll over 14 on 5 dice for casting purposes didn't provide any help either. Combo charge of the two flying captains on both flanks of the spearelf bunker kept it pinned for 3 turns, until the white lions nearby got a clear charge and made a mess of the situation. Still worth it, though; saved me from any serious magic for a couple of turns. By the end of turn 4, things were looking bleak and time had ran out, so we called it.
Endgame pic:

Looking at the victory points, it is not as bad as I thought, a minor loss although the 5 remaining white lions were worth 500 points! (and it took 20 greatswords and 10 halberdiers, all flank charging, to take them from 13 to 5!!!)

So, the message of this story is that when faced with an 8th edition optimised army, you need SOMETHING to go your way, in addition to good tactics, to win the game. As one said, the best laid plans of mice and men...
Oh, and never underestimate white lions, even if there's only a handful of them! Still, a very fun game with a nice opponent!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know it's a bit selfish, but I'd appreciate a comment here and there, to gauge the interest in these battle reports and also to discuss tactics. Thanks for reading!

Smith

Are Verlo

Postby Are Verlo » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:34 am

I like the concept of msu. And the way I see it you need some of the following traits to pull it off:

Some unbreakable troops like slayers or flaggies. Unstable just wont do it. You need *true* unbreakable

Some Stubborn hammers like hammerers, greatswords, Whitle lions

Something fast like fast cav or decent flyers like the captasus

I tried a similar approach with TK a few weeks ago, but as we all know: unstable makes small support units extremely fragile. And unlike empire and dwarves, who can combine flaggies/slayers with either hvy cav or stubborn hammers, multiple small unstable units just wont last through the combat.

I would love to see some more games vs the "top armies of 8th": Lizards, daemons and dance-spamm VC

Vanyon

Postby Vanyon » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:12 pm

I watched part of that game, as well as the one you were playing today. Everytime the dice rolled I said something like" You have got to be kidding me???" Your dice sucked in both games. I do enjoy watching you play. I play dwarves and am a bit stubborn in that I dont like to use cookie cutter lists. I dont own hammerers and love the look of shields on dwarves so I play a lot of them. Usually a unit of longbeards with shield, ironbreakers and 1 unit of GW as I need something that can kill stuff. I would like to play smaller units and vary what I have, BUT, I play against elves a lot, and those Swordmasters would simply eliminate any unit that was not at least 20 strong and in all likelyhood I would run away and be caught as I am at a -1 to my flee range. Against units with so much combat power(even in small numbers) I absolutely need the extra ranks for steadfast. Any suggestions? I would love to hear them.

SmithF

Postby SmithF » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:57 pm

Cheers for the reply!
Lately dice have been hating me a bit, that's true. With a precision army such as this one, failing a series of crucial rolls may lose you the game. With any other army, failing one of two of these would have done the same. Meaning that in a way, an MSU army offers you more basic elements from which to craft solutions to your tactical problems. 3 or 4 contingency plans is as far as I go, normally. The problems start when you're out of contingency plans! :)

As for your dwarf army, have you tried using an anvil of doom and some miners? What you can achieve with the anvil is that you won't be fighting these uber units to the front, but to the side where they can't hurt you as much. In the current setting I prefer to prepare my army for killing the opposition rather than running them down, so great weapons are a better option. However, 25 warriors with shields to the flank will probably force a very shaky break test!

Here's a link to a dwarven army I've been using, never looked back. It reminds me of the description of Dain's army in The Hobbit: Ironclad dwarves marching with great pickaxes in their hands.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=82295

You only need steadfast if you plan your strategy around it. By planning ahead a turn or two you can instead use multiple small units that will grind the opposition for small losses in return. It has a steep learning curve, but it works.

In other news, I have pictures for one of the most awesome games of warhammer 8th I've ever played! It is against none other than Razon from this board and I assure you it will be a treat! Stay tuned.

(AND LEAVE A COMMENT, YOU GITS :) )

The Kremlin

Postby The Kremlin » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:18 pm

This is really interesting me - I've always felt that MSU can work in 8th with the right setup, and it's good to see other people having the same experience.

Look forward to the next report.

Swordmaster
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Re: MSU Empire in action! (piccies!) 2500 points *GAME 3 ADDED!*

Postby Swordmaster » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:36 pm

Hi SmithF!

Your MSU armies are very interesting indeed and I am happy to see one of them in action. I actually saw part of your battles live but due to time difference could not watch them until the end. Hence I am grateful for these reports. :)

A few questions, if you don't mind:

1. Did you play against Seredain or was it somebody using his army? His approach is quite famous among the Asur. :)

2. What army Razon plays?

3. Any chances to see your army playing against Daemons/double Terrorgeist VC/special characters? I think that would be even more challenging for your MSU army.

Looking forward to reading more about your battles!

Cheers!
Blog: Path of an Outcast

Follow me @SwordOfHoeth

Battle Log with shortcuts to Battle Reports: HE MSU
Article on HE MSU: HE MSU - Observations
Rate my Battle Reports at: Sigmar's Fantasy Battles

Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?

SmithF

Postby SmithF » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:07 pm

GAME 4 vs RAZON the eternal (queue dramatic music)

So, after a couple of games with this list, I was confident enough to respond to an invitation from Razon, one of team Croatia's ETC players and possibly the best warhammer player I've ever faced. The fun thing with games against him is that they tend do be like a well coordinated dance, lots of interesting tactics going on every time.
I am confident that you will enjoy this report as much as I enjoyed the game itself!

So, on to the Tomb King list (from memory):
HEROES:
Liche High Priest, lvl4, Lore of Nehekara, Dispel Scroll, stuff
Tomb Prince, Chariot, LA, Shield, GW, Ironcurse Icon, 4+ Ward

CORE:
22 Skeleton Archers, Standard, musician
10 Skeleton Archers, musician
10 Skeleton Archers, musician
16 Skeleton Warriors, Shield, musician
5 Chariots, Full Command, Flaming Banner

SPECIAL:
4 Necropolis Knights, Champion
Khemrian Warsphinx, fiery breath
Khemrian Warsphinx, fiery breath
3 Carrion
3 Carrion

RARE:
Casket of Souls
Hierotitan
Screaming Skull Catapult

So a very decent magic phase, hard hitting and hard to kill monsters, plus a couple of fast hard hitters on top of that! Everything one needs to play the wonderful game of warhammer, and win.
Also, with 14 deployment drops, my army would get the +1 to play first for the first time!

So, our spells:
Wizard Lord: Metal 0,4,5,6
Liche High Priest: Nehekara 0,1,2,3

Pre game thoughts:
Looking at Razon's list, the two big threats that I could see were the warsphinxes and the casket of souls. Having played with another empire army vs the casket, I know for a fact that pegasus captains don't like to look at what's inside that little box. As for the sphinxes, the army doesn't have much that can deal with GW's latest "cool idea" (T8 monsters, that is). So, my plan was simple:
Dealing with sphinxes:
-Outrider fire (many shots, and every 6 to wound allows no save to the monster)
-Searing Doom/Gehenna's golden hounds (it might be a 5+ to wound, but each monster only has 5 wounds; so definitely worth trying to cast it at a weakened sphinx)
-Sword of Fate (with 4 attacks at 3+/2+ d3 W, this guy can take the sphinx down in one phase)

Dealing with casket:
-Dispel it at all costs!
-Use pegasus to kill it, fast!

The rest of the army seemed manageable, the big chariot unit representing a threat, but at the same time seemingly easy to lure into a trap with that many small hard hitting units.

So, deployment looked like this:
Sword of Fate captain (leftmost pegasus) chose the leftmost sphinx as his target and off we went!
The empire got the first turn, which was a first!

TURN 1 - Empire

With the two sphinxes centrally deployed, I had to find a way to deal with them before advancing, so the imperial centre performed a cautious advance, mostly opening potential charge lanes and creating threat zones. The Fate Pegasus used the house's cover to get closer to his designated target, ensuring nothing could charge him next turn. The Casket pegasus saw the opportunity and flew 20" over to the TK flank, ready to charge the casket next turn.
Magic gave me 6 dice, which I used to cast Final Transmutation on the hierophant's bunker; he got it with Irresistible Force, and got dimensionally cascaded for his troubles. Thankfully, he just suffered a wound and wasn't sucked into the warp! The hierophant didn't take any damage, but the real beauty of the spell is its Stupidity effect, especially vs an army so closely bunched up, with medium Ld and no BSB present!
In the shooting phase one sphinx suffered two wounds from outrider shots, while their counterparts on the right shot at the other for 1 more. One mortar caused 2 wounds to the necropolis knights, while the other hit dead on the chariots and caused a total of 4 wounds, allocated between the champion, the unit and the tomb prince.
So, all in all, a perfect first turn!

TURN 1 - TK

First thing in order was to take about a dozen stupidity tests, out of which Razon failed that of his Knights, his leftmost archers and his hierophant's! (that last one meant no spells for the big guy, which was great for the empire) The carrion on the right charged against my pegasus captain, losing a wound as they flew through the forest to engage him. Razon advanced on the left flank with chariots and sphinx, bearing on the outriders. Centrally, he had to deal with the stupidity issue, so the sphinx could only move backwards 3" and hope for the best, since his stupid archers were blocking most of the maneuvering. Finally, the hierotitan turned to face the incoming Fate Pegasus.
Magic saw 11 dice generated, but only two spells could be cast: A magic missile from the hierotitan to the aforementioned pegasus bounced off harmlessly, while the casket failed to get irresistible and was promptly dispelled.
Shooting was more eventful, the Screaming Skull Catapult firing its opening shot vs the wizard lord standing inside a 4-strong detachment (thanks to the miscast). He was quite relieved when the shot scattered and killed a single greatsword instead! The combined fire from chariots and bowmen fared better, killing two of the rightmost outriders and panicking the rest.
In combat the pegasus captain performed very well, dealing the 3 wounds necessary to pop the carrion in one turn, for no wounds back. This left me in a very good position, my two pegasus captains ready to charge their respective targets and the tomb king army in disarray after the failed stupidity tests.

TURN 2 - EMPIRE

So, both pegasus captains declared their charges, 16 and 19" respectively... and both failed, losing a great opportunity to win the game before it even started! (TBH, it was rolling 1-1-2 for the sphinx charge that hurt)
The outriders on the right failed to rally and fled off the field, while the left ones failed their test to march and could't reposition themselves somewhere where they'd have an impact on the battle.
The rest of the army continued to play the angling game.
In magic the winds were weak and Razon didn't hesitate to use his dispel scroll to prevent another final transmutation from forcing 10+ stupidity checks!
Shooting was fast, the right mortar misfiring and blowing up and the left one scattering off target.
And with that ended one of the most failed turns of warhammer I've ever had. :)

TURN 2 - TK

The undead had escaped the danger and had the upper hand now! The Necropolis knights charged Fate Pegasus, who decided to be a man and take it. (The fact that due to angling only one knight would be able to clip probably helped with this decision!) The carrion moved up to the rear of outriders, and the rest of the army shuffled to prepare for the incoming pegasus charge vs the casket. With the sword of fate captain engaged, the Warsphinxes became more extrovert and came closer to play.
In magic the casket was stopped but I had to let through the movement spell, which healed Sphinxes and Chariots and propelled them towards my lines while hierotitan and skeleton bunkers turned to face the pegasus captain.
Shooting saw another dud from the SSC, but the hierophant's archers put a wound on the pegasus captain and the chariots picked off one of the greatswords in front of them.
In combat, the captain had to accept a challenge from the champion and managed to put a single wound to him, before Razon saw what TK muscle is made of and rolled no less than 3 Killing Blows, chopping him up Tarantino-style.

TURN 3 - EMPIRE

Having dodged the incoming skulls and taken speed from last turn's failed charge, the pegasus captain finally managed to charge the casket.The greatswords decided against charging the necropolis knights, since with their ASL the'd get slaughtered, even if both units went in. Now that some juicy enemy units were committed, the empire army surged forward, threatening flanks everywhere on the table! The halberdier horde got out of the building, and moved in such a way so as to tempt a charge from the rightmost sphinx; with steadfast they'd be able to hold and then the flagellants would fall upon it and hopefully make short work of it.
Magic was dispelled or failed to cast (was going for searing doom on the knights and then transmutation of lead on them.).
In shooting nothing interesting happened, the mortar scattering away from its intended target (chariots and tomb prince) and the outriders only managing one unsaved wound on the necropolis knights
Combat then! The pegasus captain managed to miss with all of his attacks and his pegasus caused one wound. To add to the insult, the casket priest wounded the captain, who failed his 2+ save! The remaining casket guard then dealt another unsaved wound and the pegasus captain was no more.. So the casket still lived and there was nothing to silence the catapult.
Things are looking bleak for the empire...

TURN 3 - TK

Two charges this turn for the tomb kings: carrion fly into the rear of the outriders and the chariot unit goes into the greatsword speedbump. Razon didn't fall for the halberdiers' flank bait, which was a pity! Both units hold and both charges are auto in. The rest of the movement was marked by another bold 6" move from the sphinxes towards the big block and the necropolis knights backing off towards the house.
Magic sees us get both 6 dice, and the hierophant uses all of them to get off the big movement spell, not rolling an IF and actually getting a relatively low result (something like 18 or so). My wizard lord then proves he comes from the same school of magic as Rincewind, rolling exactly one lower to dispel! Catastrophe is knocking on my door now! Both sphinxes move next to my big halberdier block, and the wind cries "s4 breath weapon"... As a bonus, both monsters get healed on top of that.
So, what happened in the shooting phase is that between them the two sphinxes killed 30 halberdiers, though the survivors passed their panic and tried to blend in with the green backdrop, whistling inconspicuously!
Combat then, carrion struck first and dropped two of the outriders for two wounds back. The riders fled and surprisingly escaped their pursuers. In the main event, 3d6 s5 impact hits plus a ton of s4 and s3 hits managed to kill a grand total of 7 greatswords! (Razon rolled poorly and I had good saving rolls) The survivors dropped the unit champion and then passed their stubborn Ld test to hold the chariots in place. One combat reform later:

TURN 4 - EMPIRE

Knowing an opportunity when they see one, the empire troops declared no less than 8 charges: First off, the depleted halberdier detachment went straight for the necropolis knights in order to open the path to them for the flagellants. For the very same reason the greatswords declared a charge against the 10-strong archer unit; while doing so, I had an idea: by punching through that unit, I'd have a relatively clear shot to the hierophant bunker, and hierophants don't like s5 greatswords one bit! So the archlector abandoned his precarious position inside the halberdiers and charged out on his own vs the same bowmen! The bsb and his unit decided to get rid or the carrion, their redirecting capabilities could pose a problem later on. So, a charge through the forest later, the BSB had lost one of his wounds to a rogue branch!!
Finally, on the right flank the two units of halberdiers front and flank charged the chariots respectively, with the halberdier detachment joining them because...why not?
A pleasant surprise was in stock for the empire, as all the units made their charge ranges. So the battlefield looked like this:
Changed, innit?
Outriders rallied, and the few units that remained shuffled around to get into position, wary of the Sphinxes nearby.
In magic Final Transmutation was dispelled, but the archlector managed to force through a Soulfire, that killed a single skeleton.
In the Necropolis combat, the flagellants martyred a couple of their own to get rerolls on to hit and to wound; the resulting melee saw the knights pop in one turn, taking with them a total of 6 flagellants and 2 halberdiers. The greatswords and archlector didn't do as well: Nine archers going first killed a greatsword and the remaining 7 plus archlector couldn't kill more than three of the undead, getting stuck in place and foiling my plans.
In the carrion combat, the bsb caused a wound to the decaying birds, and 3 s4 attacks later, he was lying dead inside the forest; dead from a tree and a carrion! (got to appreciate the irony though :) )
And for last, the big one! Flagellants got hatred from martyrdom and went first, along with the halberds; 25 s5 attacks later, three chariots and the prince were dead! The unit went pop and units overrun/reformed as shown in the picture below:

TURN 4 – TK

It had taken a couple of sneaky moves and perfect charge rolls, but empire had at last made some points back! Razon wasn’t taken aback by that turn of events, and proceeded to charge the vicorious flagellants’ flank with his Hierotitan. The nearby bowmen charged the knights opposite them and one of the sphinxes charged into the remainders of the halberdier horde, now rendered much more manageable. In the remaining moves the other sphinx turned to face the greatswords advancing from the left and the skeleton bunkers moved away from the bowmen/archlector combat, just in case.
*In retrospect, this was a bad movement phase from Razon: The hierotitan couldn’t possibly beat all of the flagellants before support arrived, while the bowmen charging the knights could be easily wiped out with slightly above average rolls (needed 5 wounds), giving them a free charge path into the hierophant’s bunker*

Magic saw a big roll giving the hierophant no less than 11 dice to play with! A high roll of the killing blow spell at the charging bowmen was dispelled, but this left the empire unable to deal with the rest of the spells: All units within 12” got an extra attack/multishot, then the movement spell was cast again, healing the unengaged tomb king units completely!

Shooting resulted in 6 dead flagellants from the unit nearest the enemy lines, leaving just the champion to do the dirty job! (multishot bowmen are nasty!)

In combat, the carrion finally died to the knights’ combat resolution, but they had already dealt their damage. (them and that damned branch!) The knights reformed in such a way as to get away from the warsphinx, at this point of the game there was nothing they could do to hurt it. Needless to say, the Halberdier/Warsphinx fight went south, and the 3 survivors fled, eventually getting off the board on turn 6. Between his –now 4- attacks and his thunderstomp, the hierotitan managed to deal 6 wounds for none back, but the 4 remaining flagellants pinned him in place. In the two crucial combats, disaster struck for the empire: Against greatswords, the bowmen struck first and dealt an impressive 4 unsaved wounds against them, for a couple of casualties back. Thankfully, the lector’s Ld kept them into the fight. Finally, the knights and horses struck first, 3+/4+ with 10 attacks, dealing a single wound! The bowmen showed them what tomb kings are made of, felling one knight in return!
So, not only hadn’t my units been able to punch through the TK bowmen, they were being ground down by them as well!

TURN 5 – Empire

The leftmost, fresh unit of greatswords piled in into the bowmen combat and the rightmost flagellants fell upon the flank of the hierotitan. Other units moved a bit here and there, but nothing of consequence.

Before magic, I told Razon I really needed a good magic phase. Then I rolled the dice. And got snakeeyes. : ) I then proceeded to roll my two dice to cast a spell, and came up with double sixes. A small blast later, the mage was reduced to a single wound.
Still, gehenna’s golden hounds was cast on the wounded sphinx, dealing a wound.
In the shooting phase the mortar crew had the good idea of dropping a mortar shell directly on top of the hierophant’s head, but he passed his “Look out Sir!” test.
Combat: Greatswords’ combined efforts kill the bowmen, but it’s a turn too late! Same for knights, who make short work of the skeletons. On a happier note, the flanking flagellants martyr a couple of their own, then proceed to kill the hierotitan outright in a display of awesomeness!

Turn 5 – TK

One of the warsphinxes declares a charge against the now unengaged archlector. Not fancying his chances vs 4 killing blow attacks and the attacks of the beast, he flees. A total of 3”. The top archers force him to flee again, and he now flees long enough to arrive right in front of his original charger, and be rendered a bit dead.
In magic I let the movement spell pass, so as to dispel the casket of souls. However, rolling to dispel it I came one short, so my lvl4 mage on one wound had to pass a Ld8 test on 3 dice. He promptly rolled a “9” and got disintegrated.
In the shooting phase the three remaining outriders received a huge flaming skull to the face, and all died.
So a huge points swing in this turn, giving 600 points to razon for my wizard lord, general and outriders!

Turn 6 and Endgame

At this point the empire army was in pieces and I decided to see if I could pull off a spectacular comeback by declaring lots of desperate charges that COULD go well enough and give me the win. The small flagellants on the right went for the 3-wound sphinx, the ones behind them spotted the rear of the mages’ bunker and said “why not?” and the one remaining greatsword charged vs his nearby sphinx all by himself just in order to make way for the bigger unit, that wanted to engage the mage bunker as well. Finally, the single Flagellant prophet charged vs the screaming skull catapult, intent on silencing it in the closing stages of the game.
Things didn’t go exactly as planned, greatswords couldn’t fit due to Razon’s clever placement and the small flagellants failed, but they moved far enough to opens the space for the slightly bigger unit to rear charge the bunker (just 3 flags were in contact, though).
Shooting failed to accomplish anything, and in combat the prophet only did one wound to the SSC and got killed for his trouble. The flagellants killed a couple of skeletons, which killed a couple back in return.

In the closing turn of the game, Razon charged the wounded sphinx vs the 4 remaining Flagellants and proceeded to kill all of them for a single wound back. Shooting and magic left just a couple of greatswords alive, fleeing from a failed panic. Finally, the mage bunker that had in the meantime reformed made short work of the last flagellants, sealing the outcome of the game!

Endgame pic

Now, counting victory points the empire had 665 points left, whereas the TK had a healthy 1167, meaning I had lost (counting the general + bsb bonuses) by 600 points.

RESULT: TOMB KINGS WIN!

Conclusion:
A very intense game, with a lot of back-and-forths! In short, the empire had the game in the bag at the beginning of turn 2, then passed it to the Tomb Kings for turns 2-3, then reclaimed it for a bit on turn 4 and finally gave it back at the bottom of turn 5.
Highlights of the game:
-Final transmutation: Although it was only cast once, it almost won me the game! The lack of BSB in the tomb king army as well as the mediocre all around Ld made this spell a high dispel priority for Razon.
-Pegasus Captains: Failed charges, getting multi-killing blowed and dying to a s3 casket priest gives these guys the FAILURE award. They could have won the game for the empire, but didn’t!
-Warsphinxes breathing fire on the Halberdier horde, incinerating 30 troops!
-Flagellants: Killed 4 Necropolis Knights, 6 Chariots including Tomb Prince, Hierotitan and almost killed a Warsphinx!
-Carrion: After the one unit’s failure on the first turn, which nearly cost the TK flank, their counterparts more than made up for it by keeping outriders occupied and eventually killing the imperial BSB!

Overall, dice were very weird all game long for the empire, and Razon, being the general that he is, capitalized on that and left my empire little room for retaliation.

Looking at the 5th turn pictures, I realize that in certain situations it is better to try and conserve points, even if it doesn’t feel right; and I explain! The last turn’s charges were gambles, and I knew perfectly well that they had a 50% or less chance of working. Lets see how many points I gave up that could have been saved: 3x150 for the flagellants, 106 for the greatswords for a total of 556 points! Keeping these safe would have made the game a draw, so it’s something to consider..

So there you have it, the end of one of the best games of Warhammer 8th edition I’ve ever had! Very unpredictable, at times frustrating, but in the end absolutely satisfying!
Last edited by SmithF on Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:02 am, edited 6 times in total.

ironcold

Postby ironcold » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:15 pm

Ok to start off this I normaly just read through the forums and upon your request I actually signed up to comment on your batreps.

AWESOME is one word to describe that you are doing well with the multipule units vrs the usual suspects of 3 big units with lvl 4. I am a die hard movement-hammer player and i am so enjoying the "dances" instead of playing "listhammer" all the time.

Regards,
IC

dafruk

Re: MSU Empire in action! (piccies!) 2500 points *G4 -TK!*

Postby dafruk » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:50 pm

I'm enjoying your report style, very engaging.

Veskit

Postby Veskit » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:21 pm

Good reports so far

In combat the pegasus captain performed very well, dealing the 3 wounds necessary to pop the carrion in one turn, for no wounds back.

Wouldn't this only cause 2 wounds from Combat resolution since the carrion charged thus leaving them with a carrion with a single wound left?

luckysevens

Postby luckysevens » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:48 am

Thanks for these reports, they're a good read!

Veskit wrote:Wouldn't this only cause 2 wounds from Combat resolution since the carrion charged thus leaving them with a carrion with a single wound left?

They lost a wound to dangerous terrain on the way in.

Herminard

Postby Herminard » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:40 am

Great reports. UB.com is just perfect for good battlereports. It looks like you are getting much mileage form you combatoriented MSU play too. In the reports that are posted here I feel perhaps you are being a little too cautious with your Halberdiers, even if having your Lector alive is pivotal to your build. I also think deploying them 5 wide would make them more able to get charges off, since that 10 wide wall will often be blocked by friendly units. Oh, and I love how you employ actual tactics to your games.

Best of luck Smithy!

-H-

Veskit

Postby Veskit » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:47 pm

luckysevens wrote:Thanks for these reports, they're a good read!

Veskit wrote:Wouldn't this only cause 2 wounds from Combat resolution since the carrion charged thus leaving them with a carrion with a single wound left?

They lost a wound to dangerous terrain on the way in.

Ah thanks I missed that!

I really appreciate the overhead maps, I'm guessing you're playing these games online, what are you using for this?

EDIT: I did some searching using the UB.com clue above, looks interesting maybe I'll have to try it out.

SmithF

Postby SmithF » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:33 pm

Thanks for the comments and praise, guys! It has been a while since I wrote a report, but this whole empire army thing has gotten me motivated again! So as long as there is interest, there will be battle reports (time permitting, of course).

Herminard wrote:Great reports. UB.com is just perfect for good battlereports. It looks like you are getting much mileage form you combatoriented MSU play too. In the reports that are posted here I feel perhaps you are being a little too cautious with your Halberdiers, even if having your Lector alive is pivotal to your build. I also think deploying them 5 wide would make them more able to get charges off, since that 10 wide wall will often be blocked by friendly units. Oh, and I love how you employ actual tactics to your games.

You know, after my game vs Daniel's OnG I was thinking the exact same thing; What's the point of having a 200 point unit if I don't use it aggressively? It didn't happen on purpose, I just like having plan b's and the idea of a horde crashing into the enemy once they are pinned down appeals to me. But I'll have to figure out how not to block it with my own units, agreed.

ironcold wrote:Ok to start off this I normaly just read through the forums and upon your request I actually signed up to comment on your batreps.

AWESOME is one word to describe that you are doing well with the multipule units vrs the usual suspects of 3 big units with lvl 4. I am a die hard movement-hammer player and i am so enjoying the "dances" instead of playing "listhammer" all the time.

Cheers mate, look me up on UB and we'll have a good old movement-hammer game!

Swordmaster wrote:1. Did you play against Seredain or was it somebody using his army? His approach is quite famous among the Asur. :)
*snip*
3. Any chances to see your army playing against Daemons/double Terrorgeist VC/special characters? I think that would be even more challenging for your MSU army.

It was probably not Seredain, but the list was identical to his. (although this is referring to the Dwarven msu army detailed in the relevant thread) As for the matchups you're proposing, I can't say I'd object to playing such opposition once in a while, could be a good test for the list. For the time being, I'm enjoying games of warhammer vs good opponents using reasonable lists. Even if I get pummeled, the game is a good one!

*Update: Added two more turns in the TK report, rest to come as soon as possible!

Stay tuned for the rest of the TK battle, as well as yet another great game vs Daniel's Dirty Goblins!

Veskit

Postby Veskit » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:20 pm

Yikes, you're having some terrible luck on the TK game, things are looking pretty bleak.

Joey_Boy

Postby Joey_Boy » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:42 pm

Am I right when I total up your army to 2570p?
You don´t snuggle with Max Power, you just strap on and feel the G´s!

Come on over and discuss the MSU fun time with us!
http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22678

SmithF

Postby SmithF » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:10 pm

Joey_Boy wrote:Am I right when I total up your army to 2570p?

I've been known to miscalculate by a couple of points, but not by that much!
In fact, after the TK game I was playing around with options in AB and noticed that I hadn't "ticked" the Full Plate Armour upgrade for the two captains; that meant 16 points more, which was dealt with by dropping a champion upgrade for one flagellant unit and a couple of halberdiers from the big unit.

But no, in no way 70 points more, that wouldn't be an honest mistake :)

Joey_Boy

Postby Joey_Boy » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:16 pm

Ah, my bad. I just ran the list in AB and got it to be 2523p total with the units and items your listing. Not as big a miss as I thought but the list needs to be trimmed down a bit :)

A quick question on the BSB. Where do you place him and have you thought about giving him the flaming banner to help out with regeneration? I really like the way the list looks and plays, reminds me of a more combat oriented version of my WE lists. I tend to focus more on avoidance and shooting to soften units up before I engage them in combat.

SmithF

Postby SmithF » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:00 pm

After my last game I'm thinking of incorporating that flaming banner on the bsb, 10 points is not a steep price for a solution to abominations and trolls!

As for the list, with 37 halberdiers and minus a prophet it stands at a comfortable 2498. The first thing that will be going will be the Ironcurse Icon, given the list's nature I don't think it serves any purpose. So, another 3 points and I'll get myself a brand new Flaming Banner! :)

Turns 3 and part of 4 up!

Hardrad Hammerhand

Postby Hardrad Hammerhand » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:08 pm

Really enjoying these reports. Good, entertaining tactical games and a good read.

Thinking about trying MSU warriors at my next tournament, lot of food for thought here. And sneaky tricks, especially the forced clip on the corsair horde, may borrow that :twisted: .

Razon

Postby Razon » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:19 pm

I'll add a quick comment or two on the game, hope you don't mind Mr.Smith. :)

After the failed Captasus charges and demise of both of them, this was the situation:
And I thought game was over and I've won. :mrgreen:
Horde has been eradicated, my units weer all in position.
Even though knights and chariots might be in trouble on each flank, my center was solid as a rock.
I expected Smith to charge both sphinxes in front and flanks with everything he's got, knowing they will hold their ground and eventually kill opposition off with a supporting charge or two. That is why my both archer units went forward, to set up counter charges; and people usually don't notice/ fear small archer units...
If he didn't go 'for the bait' and charged my flanks I expected some help from 8th ed knowing in a multiple charge at least one unit will fail to reach, if not even more! And I was confident both knights and chariots could hold a round or two and that help (in form of counter charges and magic) would arrive. After all, in the first turn carrion failed miserably, and luck has turned my way. :8)

And then Smith done his thing again and tuned around the whole table. So frustrating! Also left me wondering what could I do now... :-k
ETC Team Croatia Vampire Counts 2010 & 2014, Skaven 2011, Tomb Kings 2013. Captain for 2013, 2014, 2015.
Member of ETC FAQ.com 2011, AR.com 2012
ETC Team Serbia Orcs&Goblins 2017

Swordmaster

Postby Swordmaster » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:53 pm

I like this topic more and more! I also thought that after failed charges of Pegasus Captains (especially the one who was sphinx-hunting) and huge punishment of your big Halberdiers unit it is going to be down the hill now. I guess I underestimated your army greatly and I am looking forward to seeing further development of the situation on the battlefield. Your execution of these charges was superb, especially that by doing so you left sphinxes kind of confused as where to go now.

Cheers!
Blog: Path of an Outcast

Follow me @SwordOfHoeth

Battle Log with shortcuts to Battle Reports: HE MSU
Article on HE MSU: HE MSU - Observations
Rate my Battle Reports at: Sigmar's Fantasy Battles

Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?

Von

Postby Von » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:44 am

Some interesting games here, and I like that you're man enough to provide some evidence for your claims instead of just butting heads. Plus MSUhammer strikes me as more interesting than pushing long lines of dudes forward and looking for more dice because 36 just isn't enough any more, so I follow your experiences with interest...

I'm not very good at decoding nicknames and abbreviations, so... what is UB.com? PM me if there's some reason it can't be described by name on a public board (I know what those GW-IP sniffer dogs are like). I've tried using Battle Chronicler for maps and I find it too fiddly and pedantic to really work with...
I'm the best there is at what I do.
Unfortunately, what I do is lose.

KAPTAINVON.COM

Von's trading feedback thread

Joey_Boy

Postby Joey_Boy » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:04 am

Von wrote:I'm not very good at decoding nicknames and abbreviations, so... what is UB.com? PM me if there's some reason it can't be described by name on a public board (I know what those GW-IP sniffer dogs are like). I've tried using Battle Chronicler for maps and I find it too fiddly and pedantic to really work with...

It's a web based on-line program for playing games of miniatures. It's all generic and you create your own units and rules for the miniatures your using. So basically you can play any game you want with anyone in the world.

http://www.universalbattle.com/

Squigkikka

Postby Squigkikka » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:53 am

Loving the battle reports, and it gets me super pumped to develop my Dwarf army similar to yours with my own tweaks and favorite units (I'll include an organ gun instead of a gyrocopter and more slayers! MORE SLAYERS!).

I only wish I could do a similar MSU with my OnG army. Sadly, I don't think that's possible with the lack of stubborn/unbreakable troops and animosity, since forced charges and units standing still + the risk of several units standing still on a 1-1 only increasing the more units oyu have.

wardancer

Postby wardancer » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:27 pm

i guess it can be done- small units of black orcs for example? single chariots?

Return to “Reports from the Battlefield”