Cool Kids Strike First

Tales of your glorious victories and bitter defeats

Moderator: Keepers of the Peace

Bobo the Vampire Monkey

Cool Kids Strike First

Postby Bobo the Vampire Monkey » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:05 pm

Cool Kids Strike First
Bobo at the ETC

I not a talented man. I struggle to talk to girls, I can rarely beat my computer at Solitaire, I only learned how to whistle about a year ago, I don’t play sport, and if you were to ask me for directions there’s a good chance you could end up in Somalia.
In the past I have been tricked no less than three times into contributing to charities (two of those three, it turned out, were fronts for money laundering), and last Christmas I somehow managed to elbow myself in the eye. These are not traits that one looks for in the hero of a story.
The one thing I (arguably) have going for me is the ability to play Warhammer, and to subsequently regale my battlefield experiences to the world. Or, at least, the portion of the world that frequents this particular sub-forum at 3am on a Wednesday morning (what do you mean “niche market”?).

Lately I have been a bit absent when it comes to writing battle reports, and to be totally frank it has been largely due to a frustration with the Warhammer game itself. I recently moved to England and have played quite extensively in the tournament scene there, but after a while I discovered that facing the same few prominent armies and players over and over again tends to lead to boredom followed by alcoholism.

If haven’t gotten bored of reading this and wandered off to watch some random stuff on YouTube yet, you might be wondering what changed my mind – why is the Bobo back? Allow me to explain. In the past I have always been quite selfish with my battle report writing, in the sense that I have always written them for my own enjoyment. Despite the massive amount of work that goes into them (or perhaps because of it) I really do get a great deal of satisfaction from recounting my recent games and opponents. The fact that those who read the reports enjoyed them too was somewhat of a bonus, I suppose. However, I recently went to the European Team Championships in Germany, and the amount of people that approached me and said how much they’ve enjoyed reading my reports was just staggering. Putting faces to names has more than guilted me into taking up my pen (keyboard) once again, and so, dear readers, for the first time in so very long, I dedicate this report to you.
Last edited by Bobo the Vampire Monkey on Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:58 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Bobo the Vampire Monkey

Re: Cool Kids Strike First

Postby Bobo the Vampire Monkey » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:07 pm

The Long-Winded Introduction Bit
(how exactly do you measure the wind, anyway?)

The ETC is a phenomenal event. There is nothing else in the world that compares to it. If you’ve no idea what it is, it’s the largest Warhammer (and 40k) event in the world, this year with around 600 people in attendance. It’s a teams event too, with 8 people representing each country, and I think this aspect alone makes it far more popular than it could ever be as a singles event. Last year I went along and played as a last-minute ring-in for team Northern Ireland – a very non-competitive bunch of lads who I had a great time with. This year I was once again intending to go to the event despite (once again) not having a team. But, once again, I was contracted to play for a ‘casual’ nation – New Zealand this time, attending the ETC for the first year.

When I was inducted onto the team the other seven players had pretty much already decided on their armies. The races that I’d been using lately (Daemons, Lizardmen, Tomb Kings, Dark Elves) held very little interest for me but were all taken anyway, and my options basically boiled down to a choice between High Elves, Vampire Counts and Wood Elves. The choice was a fairly easy one – High Elves were my first army and I have always really liked their models and background fluff, but due to competitive urges I never actually took them to a tournament. This seemed like the perfect opportunity, not only to rekindle my interest for the game with my old favourite army but also to bid 7th edition goodbye the way I had started it – in a skirt.

With 8th Edition Fever thick in the air, and the style of ETC games being somewhat standoffish in nature, I really struggled to find anyone to have test games against. In the end I only played a single game, against former UK #1 Ben Curry’s Dark Elves. I faced his (horrific) ETC list, and actually managed to beat him 17-3 thanks to a Mage unexpectedly charging a unit of Harpies. :) With a lack of test games and utter virginity when it came to playing the current High Elves, the best I could do when it came to brainstorming army lists was look at those used by players at the previous ETCs and decided which elements I did and didn’t like.

A Star Dragon is more or less essential in this sort of environment, I felt. Not only is it an incredible amount of points tied up in a mobile, rock-hard unit that very few people will be able to get, but the amount of influence it has on the game is just unreal. I am personally a big fan of flexibility in Warhammer, so discarded the combat Prince setup favoured by most players (halberd, Vambraces of Defence, Armour of Caledor, Amulet of Light) and instead took one of my own design which I thought gave me quite a few more options during the game. Namely, shooting people. This quickly became a theme throughout my list, which can be seen below:

Prince: lance, shield, dragon armour, Reaver Bow, Helm of Fortune, Talisman of Loec, Guardian Phoenix, lots of Chow to feed his Star Dragon
Mage: level 2, Silver Wand, Dispel Scroll, Dispel Scroll, cool sunglasses
Mage: level 2, Seerstaff, Dispel Scroll, stutter

10 Archers: musician
10 Archers: musician
10 Archers: imaginary musician
5 Shadow Warriors: bad attitudes
15 White Lions: full command, Lion Standard, Gem of Courage, fabric softener
10 Phoenix Guard: full command, Banner of Sorcery, signal cards
Repeater Bolt Thrower: laser pointer
Repeater Bolt Thrower: no laser pointer, envy
Great Eagle: permed feathers
Great Eagle: lots of poop

A couple of thoughts, both pre and post tournament:
The setup on the Mages is pretty optimised, and despite the innate awesomeness contained within the Ring of Fury I was convinced that going into this tournament with only 4DD and one scroll would have been suicide. I’d make the same decision again. The Shadow Warriors, not usually popular with High Elf players, were originally included as a skirmishing Mage bunker to be used against armies which wouldn’t be able to obliterate them at range. I didn’t face many of those, so they actually ended up being used as shooting scouts instead, but they filled this role perfectly and I was really happy with their inclusion. In hindsight 10 Phoenix Guard are probably just as easy to kill as 5 Phoenix Guard, so maybe reducing them for another unit of Shadow Warriors would have been an idea. The army plays pretty much the way it looks on paper, usually deploying somewhere between 1-7” onto the board and shooting away the enemy’s most vulnerable units while diverting and ignoring the more hardy ones. The dragon is both my biggest asset and biggest liability, capable of either destroying death stars or flunking horribly and giving up 738VPs depending on what kind of mood he’s in. As a result he tries not to get in combat very much, using his breath weapon and Reaver Bow in combination with the rest of the army’s shooting to round up the enemy’s easy points and disrupting their ability to move unthreatened or claim table quarters later in the game.

The army is awesome and there is very little I would change about it, if anything. The White Lions are a bit of a nervous affair with no BSB around, so I gave them the Gem of Courage to make sure they at least passed their first break test, but to be honest so few people want to fight them that it usually got used for panic.

Forewarning:
My army list fits very well into the style of Warhammer played at the ETC. That is to say it shoots a lot, has a dragon, and conserves points very well. You may already be able to guess what some of the games will read or look like, so if you don’t think you’re up for it, close the web browser now, pour yourself a glass of milk, and go out onto the patio to watch the kids play cricket (that is, if you actually think cricket is entertaining – personally I find it akin to watching paint dry). I will of course attempt to make each and every game as entertaining as possible to read, but do not be surprised if one could sum up an encounter with the words “I shot him a bit and ran away”.
(Also, it’s worth noting that all of the games at the ETC were played in 7th edition.)

Bobo the Vampire Monkey

Postby Bobo the Vampire Monkey » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:13 pm

Interlude #1 – The Silver Fern

I’m going to experiment with a new format of report this time, with a non-game interlude in between each “chapter”. I’ve changed things up in the past (with mixed results – let’s not do another Lonely Planet guide anytime soon, eh?) and always like keeping things fresh. Moreover, the ETC is so much more than just a tournament. You literally spend four days hanging out with some of the coolest guys in the world, and the time is made even more enjoyable since you know you might not get to see them again until the next ETC.

This was true in fashion for my part, since I knew most of the New Zealand team from back home in Australia, and with me living in Europe for the past year I hadn’t seen them in ages. It was brilliant to catch up with them – you may even recognise one or two them from the photo below...

From left to right: Chris “Bunny” Cousens (Warriors of Chaos), James Milner (Daemons), Harry Dixon (Tomb Kings), Isaac “Oops, forgot my black shirt” Alexander (High Elves), Mark Skilton (Dark Elves), Chris “Skeletor” Willcox (Dwarfs), John Matthews (Empire), Dave Grant (Captain, Lizardmen).

The idea for a NZ team was hatched by John Matthews at last year’s Australian Masters, and ended up being largely comprised of (dirty) foreigners like myself. Despite it being the “rookie” team’s first year at the ETC (and watch out, spoiler incoming) we managed to place 14th overall out of 32 teams – well beyond our expectations and very chuffing (I think that’s a word) indeed.

On top of this, in the 50-man singles tournament in the days before the main event, team New Zealand managed to claim no less than both 1st place (Harry) and 2nd place overall (Dave)! I didn’t play in the side event myself, contenting myself with lounging about the venue, drinking beer, building trestle towers (see Interlude #2), and catching up with old friends.

BaeronvonBleat

Postby BaeronvonBleat » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:14 pm

*cough* not to intrude on the mass posting, but positively giddy we get to see the High Elves perspective of the vampire monkey...

*shuffles into silent reading*

Ben Curry
ETC Chairman
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

Postby Ben Curry » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:27 pm

And this is where he comes in with " for the rest of the report see issue 5 of Unseen Lerker" :)

gladomain

Postby gladomain » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:55 pm

Looking forward to this Bobo! If the rest of the army is painted as brilliant as the dragon show us some close ups please!

Cheers,

Bobo the Vampire Monkey

Postby Bobo the Vampire Monkey » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:56 pm

Ben Curry wrote:And this is where he comes in with " for the rest of the report see issue 5 of Unseen Lerker" :)

Oh, go play with your microphone. :lol:

I'll post some actual game reports tomorrow. I'm currently immersed in shaping my hair into what can only be described as "The Hugh Jackman look".

Bobo

PS: Thanks for the compliment on the dragon, I've had that sitting around for years and finally worked up the courage to paint it. The rest of the army I used was borrowed, and sadly I have no additional photos of it. I'll ask Skeletor (the owner), he might be able to take a snapshot or two.

Daniel

Postby Daniel » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:03 pm

Your Lord isn't WSIWYG, my faith in the EC is shattered, SHATTERED I tellyou [-(

Just kidding, looking forwards to reading the reports. I must've played at least 20 games against very similar ETC-style High Elf lists in the last year (with only 2 core units usually, mind you) and they've never given me any trouble- my partytrick is to break the Dragon and run it down with a unit/model who has flaming attacks for bonus irony points :D So it will be interesting to see how someone like yourself did with it :)

Lord of Nonsensical Crap

Postby Lord of Nonsensical Crap » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:59 pm

(Cackles madly as he grabs some popcorn and settles down to read what will undoubtedly be another awesome Boboreport.(Tm) )

manicpsychotic

Postby manicpsychotic » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:15 am

YAY!! Go NZ!

I've played against James before and his army is amazing. You should post some pics of it if you took any.

Razon
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Postby Razon » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:05 pm

Really looking forward to this one! :)
ETC Team Croatia Vampire Counts 2010 & 2014, Skaven 2011, Tomb Kings 2013. Captain for 2013, 2014, 2015.
Member of ETC FAQ.com 2011, AR.com 2012
ETC Team Serbia Orcs&Goblins 2017

Bobo the Vampire Monkey

Postby Bobo the Vampire Monkey » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:33 am

Chapter One: Vive la France

So there we were. Saturday morning. Also known as Hell to those of us who are inclined to engage in liquid-based recreation in the evenings previous. For my part I vaguely recall having my buttocks grabbed by a large Irishman and then later chasing rabbits through a town roundabout with a large Danish man. Good times.

Anyway, apparently we were there to play Warhammer or something, I dunno. I rocked up in my suave black team shirt, to join the ranks of “Kiwis” already festooning the venue (yes, festooning). Chris Cousens was there, and I dropped him a sly wink which said “yes, I saw you talking to that lamp post last night”. So was Skeletor, who I gave an affectionate punch in the shoulder to say, “yeah, buddy, just like old times, you staggering and me supporting.” Dave Grant was there too. Dave doesn’t drink, so there was none of that male bonding stuff. We sort of looked at each other for a long moment. Now I was the one being judged. Had he seen me steal bread from that homeless guy the night before?

The random pairings for the first round were announced, and we got pitted against France on table row #1 – the first and only time we would witness such great heights during the tournament. For those uneducated hippies among you, dear readers, the teams competition worked in the following way: each team has eight players all with different armies. There is then a complex pairing system involving cards, suspense and footsies under the table to determine who plays against who from which team. Apparently there are tactics and stuff that can be used during this whole process, but I wasn’t really paying much attention. It was around this point in time that Captain Dave elbowed me in the ribs. “What?” I protested. He went on to inform me that as vice captain I should be more involved in making sure our team got good matchups. I was vice captain? Blimey. Alright then, let’s have a look at this pairing malarkey then. Tomb Kings, hmm, I didn’t fancy facing them. Ooh, Skaven, no, rather not fight them. Lizardmen – cripes no!
“Bobo,” says Dave to me. “You’re going to have to play one of them.”
“Yeah, I know. Jipped, eh?”

Finally the possible combinations began to discombobulate my rodent-sized brain, and I stepped away from the table saying, “Just give me anything, Dave, I trust you. Just make sure I don’t play Dark Elves – my army pretty much auto-loses against them.”

Game One
Sylvain – Dark Elves

Dreadlord on dragon: regen armour, Seal of Ghrond, mundane gear, Killer Sneer
Sorceress: Dispel Scroll, Dispel Scroll, horsey
Assassin: extra hand weapon, Rending Stars, Manbane, a hint of cliché

10 Crossbowmen: shields, musician
10 Crossbowmen: shields, musician
5 Harpies: herpes
5 Dark Riders: musician, lack of ambition
5 Dark Riders: musician, PSPs
8 Shades: great weapons, sinister laughs
7 Shades: great weapons, lots of hair gel
19 Black Guard: full command, Ring of Hotek, ASF Banner, Bells and Whistles
Cold One Chariot
Reaper Bolt Thrower: bolts
Reaper Bolt Thrower: more bolts

I’m just glad my captain has my back, y’know?

The reason I say “auto-lose” is that my although my playtesting for this tournament involved precisely one game of Warhammer, it also involved a bored afternoon of number crunching statistics, crafted using information pillaged from wh-etc.com. I basically entered in the results of every High Elf game from the previous year’s ETC, and made conclusions based on that:

As you can see, from 19 games of Warhammer High Elves managed to beat Dark Elves a total of two times with a total average score of a 6-14 loss or so. As we say in the business: that’s a bit sh*t.
One thing that I could claim some reassurance from was the fact that the one playtest game I DID have was against Ben Curry (UK Dark Elf king) and I managed to massacre him 17-3. I also managed to sneak in a warm-up game against Asger the Destroyer (between pints, naturally), and managed to win there as well.

I met my opponent at the table (table 1 on row 1 in round 1 – it doesn’t get much better than this), and he introduced himself as Sylvain. I always get a real kick out of people’s accents – probably because I’ve lived in Australia for the last ten years where the accents are sharp enough to make a shark flinch in mid-bite or to cause a wallaby to keel over dead – and Sylvain sounded, funnily enough, quite French! He apologised in advance and explained (using a Powerpoint presentation) that he didn’t speak much English, but I told him not to worry, regaling him with the story of when I actually lost my voice during a tournament and played the entire final round by simply pointing at things and rolling dice.

Am I boring you with my chatter? I’m sorry, let’s get to the graphic image of elves murdering the cack out of each other, shall we?

As you can see by the deployment photo, my army deployed rather, well, deep. You’ll probably notice this becoming a theme during the tournament. With the aid of some rudimentary maths (alright, you got me, I can’t add so I asked a spectator to add for me) I calculated that deploying on the 7” line or further back would mean that none of Sylvain’s Crossbowmen would be able to shoot me in the first turn. In a matchup like this it’s more or less crucial to get the first round of shooting against the enemy, since obviously if you cripple their shooting with yours then they won’t be able to shoot back so well. Reminds me of this other game, come to think of it…

Anyway, my dragon hid behind one forest (from Sylvain’s bolt throwers) while Sylvain’s dragon hid behind another forest (from my bolt throwers). The Sorceress decided to hang out with the Black Guard, but strangely didn’t want to cast any spells while in the vicinity of the champion’s shiny ring. My Mages could take a hint and stayed right the hell away from them, selecting Heavens magic and deploying with the Phoenix Guard in the board corner about 60” from the Dark Elf dragon. Surprising, you say? Not at all. Sylvain then deployed his 15 Shades on the east flank as well. He might has well have just hammered a wooden sign into that side of the table with the word ‘Mine’ emblazoned across it.

Winning the first turn, I leapt into action.

Or at least the dragon did. Everything else was kind of out of range and decided they liked it that way. Come to think of it, the dragon only moved forward about 5” to get his Reaver Bow in range, while the Shadow Warriors popped out from behind their hill and shot a couple of Dark Riders. Magic was directed at Sylvain’s isolated bolt thrower – pretty much the only thing outside the Ring of Hotek bubble (assuming he had the Ring of Hotek, of course – he might actually not have had it and just had the best poker face in the world instead). I killed a crewman and did a happy dance despite the enormous futility of my achievement. My own bolt throwers killed some Crossbowmen, but no one (not even the Crossbowmen) cared.

In return, I was shocked at how hesitant Sylvain’s moves were. The Shades edged out of the forest, clearly very aware of the Star Dragon’s dormant breath weapon. The Black Dragon too decided to “pussyfoot” about a bit, since I’d covered his best advance lanes with the Star Dragon and, frankly, my dragon kicks the crap out of his in combat. His shooting proved out of range, except for the bolt throwers which hammered a few of my Archers into oblivion.

This was it – now was the time to be aggressive!

Actually, no. No it wasn’t.

Prancing about a bit more, as elves are wont to do, I tasked the Eagles with the long term mission of hunting down the Dark Elf bolt throwers (yeah right, who are we kidding? In combat the crew would turn them into crumbed chicken wings and gobble them up with a splash of sweet chilli and mayo. Mmm, mayo). The White Lions, though, they were dead hard. Yeah! They were itching for a fight. Yeah! They should run forward and show those Black Guard who were boss, mano-a-mano, elfo-a-elfo. No! Instead they would mostly be shuffling sideways to make sure the Harpies couldn’t charge my bolt thrower, thank you very much.

Did I mention that I’d strategically positioned my bolt thrower crew during deployment to make sure Sylvain’s dragon would have to come at a really awkward angle to cover them both with a breath template? I love Warhammer.

This turn it was time for me to shoot the Shades. Everyone loves shooting Shades. I think I had the Reaver Bow, 10 Archers and a bolt thrower on them. The Reaver Bow rolled triple 1 to hit while the other stuff killed a couple of models.

In retaliation the two surviving Crossbowmen from a depleted unit, with nothing better to shoot, opened fire on the Star Dragon. One hit. Randomises onto the Prince. Wounds. Okay, against that I’ve got a 4+ re-rollable armour save and a 5+ ward. Armour save: 1. Re-roll: 1. Ward save: 1. Sigh.

On the left flank I had decided that the Cold One Chariot was becoming a bit of a concern. Considering that my three main combat units were either enjoying some Earl Grey tea with the Mages (Phoenix Guard), ironing their lion cloaks near the bolt thrower (White Lions) or alternating between checking out its own reflection in a mirror and licking its anus (Star Dragon), my options for dealing with said chariot very quickly narrowed down to shooting it with as much strength 3 shooting as possible and hoping Sylvain didn’t make many armour saves. This plan actually seemed to work quite well, with the Shadow Warriors inflicting three wounds over three rounds of shooting to the beastly beast. A failed stupidity test left just enough time for the Mages to run out of the Phoenix Guard screaming like girls (or maybe that was me), before the chariot impacted into them with all the force of a small child running into a plate glass window. Whammy. Sylvain had cheekily killed one of the Phoenix Guard with the chariot’s crossbows, which meant I didn’t even have a rank, and when he killed two with impact hits alone I began to get worried. Those Phoenix Guard are expensive, man! Fortunately the Keeper of the Flame (where does he keep it, exactly? In his pants?) stepped up to the task and used his patented gopher-chucks to finish the chariot off.

NOW it was time to be aggressive. (Yes, I am quite ashamed to know that reference.)

The Star Dragon leapt forward, breathing fire all over the Black Guard and burning most of them to a crisp. Then the Reaver Bow and the rest of my shooting piled in, wiping them out completely and leaving no unit for the evil, evil Rending Star Assassin to reveal himself (eww) in. At least, that’s what my plan was. What actually happened was the same, except I only killed about 8 Black Guard in total. Leaving 10 Or so. Plus the Assassin. Uh oh. This resulted in Fluffy the Star Dragon taking several sharp projectiles in the gonads. Fortunately Sylvain’s bolt throwers were unable to capitalise and were subsequently ‘Eagled’ (as opposed to being ‘Ducked’). The rest of Sylvain’s shooting also bounced off the dragon.

Well, I say “the rest”.

Remember those two surviving Crossbowmen I was telling you about? Well, they scored a single hit on the Star Dragon again. Which randomised onto the Prince. And wounded. Who then rolled a 1 for his armour save, a 1 for his re-roll, and a 1 for his ward save.
Now that’s just hunky dorey.

So here we were, turn 3 or so. I hadn’t actually lost a model yet, while having killed about twenty of Sylvain’s. Thanks to the half points now gone from the Prince, I was losing the game. I guess we won’t be using that Talisman of Loec then? (“No, Imrik, DON’T TAKE THE RED PILL!!”)

My Dragon was presented with the rather worrying prospect of charging into the Black Guard, where he would be treated to some more Manbane-style loving from the Assassin, or stand there and get shot some more. I chickened out and charged Sylvain’s other bolt thrower, overrunning off the table.

This poor quality photo of a Great Eagle is in no way intended to distract you from the fact that I forgot to take other photos during the game. At all. Look at the birdy, isn't he purdy...stroke him, ruffle his feathers...he likes it.

Elsewhere, some magic had finally managed to go through and finish off the closest Dark Rider unit (just as well really, I was sick of them sneaking in at dawn and stealing my newspaper – I’ve shot people for less), while my Archers were craning their necks to try and figure out just where the Harpies had disappeared to. The crew of the second bolt thrower found out the hard way, torn to shreds by the flappy-winged thingies. The other bolt thrower crew discovered that while the White Lions were great for protecting them from combat there was little they could do about the dozen or so Shades camped out a mile away, and were torn to shreds as the Shades opened fire. The White Lions felt sad for a little while but then went and hugged some trees and felt better. There’s a good tree… My Archers on that flank tried to reduce one of the Shade units to half strength, but failed miserably and resigned themselves to writing poetry instead, about flowers and birds and Justin Bieber.

Sylvain’s dragon, with no bolt throwers or Star Dragon around, suddenly got a lot braver and zoomed out of its hiding place with an airspeed velocity rivalling that of an unladen European swallow. Once out in the open though it didn’t really seem to know what to do. It began eyeing up the White Lions, but I performed some highly shady manoeuvres and managed to get them into the forest properly. The Black Guard, withering now under my sustained fire (all the peanuts and lint I was throwing at the models was finally taking its toll), didn’t fancy a straight up fight either and instead tried to impress the Sorceress by demonstrating their evil laughs and racing their guinea pigs.

The Star Dragon came back on the table, and used its last turn to fry some Dark Riders who were loitering in the vicinity. The frying side of things didn’t go so well (over-easy is always hard to achieve) but the Reaver Bow made sure they weren’t going to be zipping off and contesting a table quarter in the last turn.

The Harpies, meanwhile, were giving me issues on the other flank. Despite two units of Archers and my Shadow Warriors shooting them I just couldn’t get them to fail a Panic test, and my Mages were forced to abandon their thousand-piece blue sky jigsaw puzzle (the lore of Heavens being such a bore) and take residence within the Shadow Warriors, where they immediately had their pocketwatches stolen. There were still three Harpies left when they charged in, and I couldn’t even get a stand and shoot in. This meant I had to finish the infidels off in combat with my awesome strikey firsty capabilities. Dirty infidels. Three Shadow Warriors did little to impress me with their so-called Hatred (more of a mild indifference, apparently), while one of the Mages did manage to throw his monocle in a particularly vicious fashion and drop a Harpy. This left one to attack the other Mage and one to attack the Shadow Warriors. The two attacks on the Shadow Warriors killed two models. That’s a serious problem. What it meant was that the combat was currently a draw, and if Sylvain managed to wound the Mage with the other Harpy (which he has a 50/50 shot at doing, basically) then I’d be taking a break test on Ld7 and stand to lose potentially 500VP or so.

By this stage there was somewhat of a small crowd gathered at the edge of the table watching the game. Could you readers stop telling people I’m famous? I’m sick of having to leave the house in large dark glasses and fend off the attentions of the paparazzos. Anyway, there was tension in the air as Sylvain rolled his attack dice. One hit… No wounds. Safe. There were several groans from the spectators, and a couple of sighs of relief (for my part, I sighed from both ends).

This meant that all that was left to do was retrieve my supply of lint, “accidentally” lean on a few of my opponent's models to sabotage the French war effort, and add up victory points. The final scores were me 734VP to Sylvain’s 459VP.

Which meant I’d won 11-9!

Three games against Dark Elves with this army, three wins. Just goes to show that with a little bit of luck, some improvised tactics, and a whole sh*tload of cheating anything is possible.

The rest of my team did less well though and it looked like we were on our way downwards. Oh well.

Tune in tomorrow for more tales of wicked debauchery, deploying in the distance, and making one of the most stupendous mistakes in my Warhammer career.

Bobo
Last edited by Bobo the Vampire Monkey on Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Overhamsteren

Re: Cool Kids Strike First (1)

Postby Overhamsteren » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:08 am

Yeah back in form! \:D/
give up. sniff glue

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull

Postby Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:04 am

Great read Bobo, I'm looking forward to part 2.

Cheers,
G
The only good stunty is a dead stunty

Haplo

Postby Haplo » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:24 am

Chuckle chuckle :lol: Are you comming to GF?
Rasmus Hammer

Coach Team Denmark ETC 2009 - Munster, Germany
Coach Team Denmark ETC 2010 - Munster, Germany
Coach Team Denmark ETC 2011 - Montreux, Switcherland
Dark Elf Player Team Denmark ETC 2012 - Gorsow, Polen
Dark Elf Player Team Austria ETC 2014 - Novi Sad, Serbia

Davros

Postby Davros » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:27 am

Good report Bobo !! Very amusing indeed looking faorward to yer next report as well !!
Hail the Empire !!

kOOn

Postby kOOn » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:26 am

You just made my day Bobo :mrgreen:

It's been far too long, but You're back in style.

Can't wait for the next installment. Do punch Ben somewhere to keep the snide remarks to a minimum

Kim
Best Sportsman GF 2009

Best painted army 2MD Open 2008
Best painted army SydCon 2008

"To all those who say that the players in favour of soft-scores are only in favour because they can’t hack it in a proper unrestricted tournament – erk you." - Victorious Andy P

My Eternal Waagh - Now a real Waagh:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=46741

Bobo the Vampire Monkey

Postby Bobo the Vampire Monkey » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:37 am

Interlude #2 – Build to the Sky

Due to the massive number of gaming board required for the ETC, a bunch of gamers who were standing around got drafted into helping paint some more. I wasn’t one of these helpy helpers, but seeing as they had beer I wandered outside after them and pranced around annoying them and taking photos like the annoying tourist I am.

Later, after all the hard work was done (all of which I managed to avoid, mwhahaha), everyone sat down to part-take in aforementioned beer. Unfortunately I couldn’t seem to understand what the other guys were saying: either I was drunk or they were speaking Danish. Or both. I can speak fluent(ish) Swedish, so can understand every second or third word in Danish, but the nature of the language is such that I’m not even sure Danish people can understand it.

Anyway, after a few beers and crap talking someone (Asger) decided it would be a good idea to construct a tower out of all the trestle-stands being used to hold up the painted boards. A couple of others had had enough beer that this seemed like a perfectly reasonable idea.

The dozen or so spectators naturally goaded the amateur architects on, insisting with every new layer that the tower still wasn’t high enough. In the end it became too dangerous to climb on and add new layers, so we called it quits. At which stage the spectators fell upon the tower and knocked it down. Barstards.

Anyway, I’m sad to report that in about an hour I am going away for the weekend and thus you will have to do without my ramblings for a few days. I am, however, playing in a Warhammer tournament, so at least I will have some stories for you when I get back. In the meantime, here's a blurry photo of some bolt throwers to distract you:

Arrivederci,

Bobo

kOOn

Postby kOOn » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:58 pm

Bummer! We have to wait more.

But then we may rejoice in the promise of yet another BoboTaletm

And now I've got no excuse for not painting the remaining 30 ghouls that I need for GF13 during the weekend :oops:

Actually I'll manage like 5 at 3-4 hours a piece :mrgreen:

Go bash some lads Bobo!

Kim
Best Sportsman GF 2009

"To all those who say that the players in favour of soft-scores are only in favour because they can’t hack it in a proper unrestricted tournament – erk you." - Victorious Andy P

frapermax

Postby frapermax » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:26 pm

Can anyone please tell our kiwi in a bowler hat to stop playing silly wargames and write reports!
People in the Northern hemisphere would be much obliged. (Those in the South were already thankful that he left for the rainy motherland and stopped bothering their livestock)
Good Luck at the tournament (deadline for a report on that one would be Tuesday September 21 (2010) around the time I get up)
greets
FPM

Bobo the Vampire Monkey

Postby Bobo the Vampire Monkey » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:00 pm

Unexpected middle bit: 'Nothing to see here...'

The Bobo has returned! Normal reporting service shall resume tomorrow, but find below a run-down of my weekend just gone.

I went to the Warrington Warlords GT, with a WHFB field of about 110 players. I was using my new brand of Lizardmen army, with the biggest 'target' being a unit of 16 Saurus. That's right folks, no Stegadons, no Temple Guard, no Kroxigor, no nothing. I spoke a bit about the army on the Bad Dice podcast over the weekend, but in short it's a Slann and a bunch of skirmishy shooters designed to win each game by a "reliable" margin while taking absolutely zero risks. After playing it for the course of the weekend, I am pretty convinced that in a pure win-loss-draw scoring system it's one of (if not THE) best army lists in the game. The field of armies was VERY hard, and I felt under pressure in every game.

I played against:
- Daemons with 12 Flamers and 50 Horrors (Battleline). His Herald with Dwellers was making me poo myself in rapid and colourful manner. And let's not talk about when the Slann rolled a '4' on Miscast result and then failed to bounce it with the Cupped Hands... In the end I managed to win by 320VPs.
- Dark Elves with 2 Hydras, 3 wizards, 3 Shade units, 2 bolt throwers (Dawn Attack). I think I made a mistake with my Terradons by trying to kill his Shades instead of just rushing his army. By turn 2 I was getting shot to bits and thought I was going to get massacred. Then my opponent threw an 8-dice Purple Sun, forgetting that my Slann gets a look out sir. I let it through, made the look out, then hit him with 5 wounds from a Feedback Scroll. With the magical advantage I managed to Sun off a Hydra while the Skinks eventually got round the back and finished off the bolt throwers. Win by 400VPs.
- All infantry Dark Elves with Cauldron, Hydra, combat lord in Black Guard (Battle for the Pass). I killed the enemy Level 4 in turn 1 with an irresistible Caress and then the Cupped bounce. I also bombed a unit of Dark Riders (his only shooting) which panicked his Pegasus hero. The hero failed to rally, and the remainder of the game very quickly became me getting half of my army either side of his and just continually peppering (and salting) his units until the end. I didn't lose a model. Win by 1547VPs.
- Lizardmen mirror match but him with Life instead of Death and Stegadons instead of annoying skirmishy stuff (Blood and Glory). We only had Fortitude 4 each, meaning if either of us lost our Saurus or Slann it was game over. I played ultra-cagey as usual, and managed to Sun off his Engine in turn 2. The weight of my extra Chameleons and Terradons began to tell and in the end he was left just the Slann, a Steg and the Saurus, meaning I won on VPs by about 1000.
- Standard Empire with Stank, Altar, 2 cannon, 2 mortar, 2 wizard, etc. (Diagonal deployment). My army set up in the most incredible fashion I have ever witnessed - everything 1 rank wide deployed in layers all throughout my deployment zone to minimize the effect of templates. Turn 1 rock drops bounced off a pegasus hero and killed some Pistoliers. My opponent had some shockingly bad luck on his Cannons which meant my Terradons managed to kill a Mortar in turn 2. The Slann also killed a wizard early on. I won with 344VPs to 90.
- Final round I faced Skaven (the Watchtower). I was utterly terrified going in to this game. Not only was I one of three people to have won all my games by this stage, meaning I was within striking position of the podium. For the tournament they had (incorrectly, in my opinion) ruled that the 13th Spell can kill characters in a unit, and my opponent had the Power Scroll on his Grey Seer. He won the roll-off to control the building (not good) but then discovered that he didn't have any units below 21 models in size (good!). Which meant that I got to go first. He also had the Doomrocket and two Warp Lightning Cannons, meaning my Saurus were as good as dead. I managed to gain a significant advantage in deployment by luring his scouts out to the flanks, meaning my Chameleons and Terradons were right in his face. My first turn, I chuck everything I have into my Death sniping spells on his Grey Seer. I manage to kill him, and I breathe a massive sigh of relief. I sacrifice my entire army to keep his units away from the Watchtower with 4 Saurus and the Slann in there, including both Skink Priests who got reduced to speedbumps. I had to make about 20 Ld tests on the Slann's unit, and for a three hour period or so my stress levels were through the roof. End result 1118VPs to 1118VPs :), but I'm in the tower so I win.

At the end of the weekend I had 6 wins from 6 games, but so did Michael Biggs with his Daemons and he had about 2500VPs more than me, so he took 1st place and I came 2nd. Michael played some great Warhammer over the weekend, with his crowning achievement (which he insisted on telling everyone about! ;)) being a Daemonette charge which carried the furthest model approximately 43" in one turn.

I won't be doing a full report for the tournament, since the games will make for such dull reading that your eyes will bleed (I gave up less than 1000VPs in my first 5 games - you fill in the blanks...), but thought I would give you a brief summation since I shirked my reporting duties over the weekend.

The tales of the ETC shall continue tomorrow as I play against the Australians (well, one of them), and will feature: a 738VP brainfart, some bad jokes, and possibly even a little innuendo...

kOOn

Postby kOOn » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:52 am

Congratz Bobo, nice rundown.

Looking forward to see the full armylist.

And waiting eagerly for service to resume.

Stupid enough to forget the basecolor for my ghouls, so didn't really get much painted anyways. :oops:

Kim
Best Sportsman GF 2009

Kholdaimon

Postby Kholdaimon » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:59 am

Bobo the Vampire Monkey wrote:So there we were. Saturday morning. Also known as Hell to those of us who are inclined to engage in liquid-based recreation in the evenings previous. For my part I vaguely recall having my buttocks grabbed by a large Irishman and then later chasing rabbits through a town roundabout with a large Danish man. Good times.

This happened on the thursday night, surely you didn't still suffer the ill effects of that night on saturday morning?

Christiaan

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull

Postby Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:56 pm

Thanks for the quick summary Bobo, I'm looking forward to the 2nd report from the etc.

Cheers,
G

Ben Curry
ETC Chairman
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

Postby Ben Curry » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:54 pm

Bobo deploys. (he actually came across the hall to fetch me!)

http://yfrog.com/nahvzpj
Last edited by Ben Curry on Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bobo the Vampire Monkey

Postby Bobo the Vampire Monkey » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:17 am

Chapter Two: Fair Dinkum

It’s fairly common knowledge that I was an active member of the Australian tournament scene for a few years. What’s less well known is that I am actually Swedish, but that’s hardly relevant to the story. During my time in Australia I got to meet and play against most of the top players in the country, and became good friends with a lot of them. At the 2009 ETC (when I played for Northern Ireland) I was really looking forward to meeting and playing against some new gamers. Thus I suppose it was typical that I had to face the Australians. ;) And, more to the point, typical that I had to face them again this year!

Jeff Traish – Bretonnia

Lord: cavalry kit, Virtue of Audacity, grail vow, Heartwood Lance, Tress of Isolde (probably), compensating for something
BSB: questing vow, cavalry kit, shiny sword, subscription to ‘Tuff magazine
Damsel: a purty pony, 2x Dispel Scroll, suspicious moustache
Damsel: horsey worsey, Silver Mirror, helpful reminder that reads ‘don’t look into the mirror!’

9 Knights Errant: full command, youthful zest
9 Knights of the Realm: full command
6 Knights Errant: champion, musician
6 Knights of the Realm: champion, musician
7 Questing Knights: full command, shields, Valorous Standard (at a guess – wouldn’t you take it?)
7 Grail Knights: full command (except for the champion and musician), War Banner, great pie recipes
Trebuchet: dreams of greatness, accuracy of drunks

Jeff Traish (“Traishy”) is famous not only for his bristling chest hair and blackbelt ninja skills, but also for being one of the best players on the Australian tourney scene (in my opinion, THE best). I’ve faced him multiple times in the past and always feel like I’m being educated when we play. Regardless, Jeff is also one of my favourite opponents of all time so I was really pleased to get drawn against him during the pairings.

I’d seen Jeff play against USA’s High Elf wonderboy, Arash, in a practice game the day before. Despite being one of the most capable (or at least most documented ;)) High Elf players in the world Arash lost heavily, and I was struggling to see what I could do differently in his place. Still, only one way to find out, eh?

As you can see we had a very open board to play on, and I was really crapping myself trying to figure out how to limit the effectiveness of Jeff’s many lances. In the end I settled for leaving a couple of Archer units out to the side as bait while bunkering up my main points in the difficult to get to right hand corner, where there were very limited advance lanes and the Star Dragon could hopefully bluff the Brets into stalling their advance. I know from experience that even flank charging Bretonnian lance units can see you lose combat by up to 8, so I was going to be avoiding combat as much as possible while looking like I actually had some dangerous charges – the threat far more powerful than the execution, after all.

I was also trembling a little bit as I deployed my Mages by their lonesome on the 12” line, preparing to dash into the forest. This plan relied entirely on Jeff praying and giving me the first turn, since if he decided to forgo the blessing and roll off instead he had a chance to land a Trebuchet shot on the Mages. As he usually does though Jeff took the more long-term beneficially option though and prayed, making sure that his units would at least have some insurance against the dragon and single bolt thrower shots. I was in a bit of an indecisive state when it came to selecting my magic lores for the game. Usually I like Heavens on the Mages since it means you can stay at a distance and still partake in the game. Metal always seems like the obvious choice against an army like Bretonnians, but to be perfectly honest with you it felt like so much of a no-brainer that I was sure it was the incorrect decision. I discussed it a bit with Arash before the game, and he pretty much confirmed my suspicions that Beasts on at least one wizard would be a good idea. I then made a last minute decision and took Beasts with both Mages, and managed to acquire Beast Cowers and Wolf Hunts on both wizards. This meant Jeff had to be doubly careful with his movement, since it would take very little for the Star Dragon to flank or even rear charge a unit. Moreover, if his lines got intertangled (shut up, it so is a real word) through Eagle shenanigans or otherwise I could potentially stall multiple units via Beast Cowers and give my shooting more time to soften him up and cause some vital panic tests.

Speaking of my shooting… I was very worried about this matchup because it really did feel like the rock to my scissors – my army relies entirely on hiding in the distance and riddling people full of S3 missiles, something which Brets in general just don’t care about. This meant that my Archers were literally reduced to glorified speedbumps, and the units deployed on the far left and in the deep centre were both eradicated by the end of the third turn.

In the centre and right was where the real action was. I foresaw some problems when it came to protecting the Mages and their Shadow Warrior bodyguard, but I figured that it would take a lot of resources to force them out of their forest, and I’d deal with that problem when it arose.

The game more or less revolved around the Star Dragon trying his best to cordon off the right flank. I flew him to a threatening position beside the forest, out of the Trebuchet’s arc and keeping an eye on Jeff’s most advantageous advance lanes. Truth be told I had no idea what I was doing – there were so many knights on the other side of the table I was just making it up as I went along and hoping for the best. Jeff had screened his Grail Knights with a 5-wide unit of Realm Knights, and my first magic phase took advantage of this by successfully Beast Cowering the unit in front, forcing the Grail Knights to waste their entire first turn’s movement sidestepping their meatshields. That was my only success though, as the Archers were all out of range and bolt throwers were deflected by the knights’ armour.

Jeff’s first turn was more or less as expected, with a very hard push on the left and in the centre while the right stalled almost completely thanks to the dragon. It quickly became evident that the dragon could not be everywhere at once and it was only a matter of time before Jeff’s remaining units skirted around the forest and came to bear on my sheltered army. An amusing moment did occur in Jeff’s first turn when a Trebuchet shot aimed for a partially exposed Eagle with a good potential to scatter either onto the Shadow Warriors or the dragon scattered instead onto the front rank of Jeff’s Questing Knights, killing one. Fortunately Jeff’s BSB made his Look Out Sir roll – I would have felt bad for him if he’d accidentally killed his own character with a wind blown piece of granite!

I’ve just remembered that I’ve forgotten to mention my first (yes, first) blunder of the match. The second Great Eagle had gone hell for leather and flown the full 20” towards the Bretonnian lines. Unfortunately I couldn’t quite get it out of line of sight of all the units, so instead stuck it on an angle within sight of a central Realm lance, with the plan being to hold the charge and take the Realm Knights out of the game for a turn while making sure it was within marchblocking range of a second unit. Of course, when Jeff declared the charge I completely forgot all about my plan and thought, “ooh, if the Eagle flees it can maybe survive!”. A flee roll of 6” later and the Realm Knights zoomed a full 16” towards my lines, and the second unit could march move unimpeded. Doh!

Now, my turn 2, and this is where it was starting to get interesting. I knew full well that by all reason I should just continue to do what I was doing and using the dragon as a long-distance pain courier, but with my left flank being decimated already I was feeling under pressure, so instead I flew it forward in a position to cause a bunch of terror tests on Jeff’s army and try and reduce the number of naughty boys on horses who were coming for me. Here’s where it gets a bit more complicated. The Grail Knights were butted up about 2” from the rear of a big lance of Errants, meaning they couldn’t wheel past them. I used this to my full advantage, landing the dragon beside the Errants (out of their vision) and looking straight at the Grail Knights, confident that they wouldn’t be able to charge me. I knew that Jeff had the Falcon Horn in his army (though you’ll notice I haven’t put it in his army list above, mainly due to forgetting who had it), but I was still confident in my plan. The remainder of my movement phase was spent moving back with all of my units, making sure that the Errants couldn’t declare a charge first and then allow the Grail Knights (complete with superultrachoppy lord) to charge past and into the dragon. The Eagle got out of sight, the White Lions backed up, and the Phoenix Guard got nice and entrenched behind their big obelisk and started telling dirty jokes in sign language. And then, for some reason which I still cannot fathom, I moved a unit of Archers FORWARD. I don’t know if I was idiotically trying to get them into short range or if I’d simply forgotten to take my anti Tyler Durden pills that morning, but the end result was that the Errants were able to charge the Archers and then the Grail Knights could charge the Star Dragon.

Bobo = Dumbass.

I couldn’t even flee the charge, in my usual elfy manner, since Jeff used the Falcon Horn to ensure my flee move would be limited to 2d6” for the turn. Oh, he then moved up another small unit of Knights behind the dragon to ensure that if I broke I’d be crossfired and instantly killed. On the upside the Pegasus Knights failed their Terror test and ran off (which is typical in my experience – Peg Knights always tend to have shocking Ld dice), failing to rally for two turns and fleeing off the table, panicking the Trebuchet to boot. Not bad.

Elsewhere things were far more grim. Some success from my central Archers saw them drop the Questing Knights to below 5 rank and file models, which allowed the bolt throwers to open up in the next few turns and successfully randomise onto the unit’s Damsel, killing her. This was largely overshadowed by the Archers then being annihilated, but whaddaya do? The other Archers (the fools who had gotten the dragon charged) were also summarily skewered, leaving the Errants dangerously close to my base camp. My next turn’s shooting finally managed to panic them though, sending them back to their deployment zone. In combat Jeff’s combat turned out to be suitably nails and he inflicted 3 or so wounds on the dragon, which sadly failed to eat him in return. The dragon lost combat and needed a 4 to hold – typically I rolled a 5, and was run down.

Due to the large traffic jam this created for Jeff it meant he had a couple of units of Knights milling around with nothing else to do, so he began using them all to limit the movements of my Mages, sending one unit through the forest to flush them out and several others to cover their escape routes.

A little innovation and callous sacrifice on my part saw me get away with only losing the remaining Great Eagle and half points on both Mages – the second wound of which I should have avoided since I guessed he had the Silver Mirror and then cast a spell anyway like a chump.

The White Lions and Phoenix Guard timidly stuck their heads out to see what was going on, but they were either too late to influence the game (Lions) or too damned scared to even try (Guard). And to be honest, there really wasn’t much more to the game than that. Jeff’s Grail Knights performed a rather impressive march move towards my bolt throwers, who forewent their last turn of shooting in favour of dragging the machines 5” backwards in an attempt to get out of the enemy’s 16” charge range. Alas the charge still proved to be a tenth of an inch in range, and I lost a bolt thrower (though not after one of the crew performed a high flying ninja kick in an attempt to wound Jeff’s lord, only to strike his full faced metal helm and shatter his attacking foot into a million pieces).

Result: 3-17 Loss.

I can’t really complain about the result, and I’ve no reason to. I made several silly mistakes during the game and Jeff played a solid game with a good army. The terrain pieces at the ETC in general are very small in size, and combined with the very specific (low-ish) number of pieces on each table meant that the Brets were always gong to be all over me in this matchup. It was a pleasure to play Jeff and I was surprised to find myself quite chirpy after being massacred so horrendously – just goes to show that I take the game less seriously than I once did, I suppose.

Next up, an interlude featuring a little too much man-flesh, and a game against Canada’s Dogs of War player involving some sneaky use of buildings, an incident with a bear-thing, and one of the more unlikely happenstances of modern day Warhammer. Yay.

greenskinpower

Re: Cool Kids Strike First (2)

Postby greenskinpower » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:28 am

I have been trying to convince people that slann+ a billion skinks was a nasty build, glad you proved it for me :lol:

Glad to see you are writing a report again, especially glad it is about the best tournament in the world!

Kasbark

Postby Kasbark » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:59 am

Wohoo, bobo is back!

Great stuff, can't wait for the rest :)

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull

Postby Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:34 am

Great read, don't worry about doing stupid things I lost my two mages saturday because of the ring of hotek while I knew it was there, I guessed I wouldn't throw any doubles.

Cheers,
G

kOOn

Postby kOOn » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:11 am

Nice to see that even the Bobo makes brainfarts like me.

That archer move brings back not too fond memories of battles lost due to a single error like that :oops:

Nice report though.

Keep it up

Kim
Best Sportsman GF 2009

Return to “Reports from the Battlefield”