Onward to The 9th Age!

Tales of your glorious victories and bitter defeats

Moderator: Keepers of the Peace

kylek2235
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

Onward to The 9th Age!

Postby kylek2235 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:45 am

After the AoS fiasco, my gaming group, like many of your groups, gathered together with a tough decision to make: What gaming system do we want to play.

AoS.... was not for us, so we decided to soldier on with 8th edition for awhile. That and I got voted to be our group's videographer. I don't even remember volunteering for the job, but here I am. Anyway, we tested out a few rules changes, but then we happened upon The 9th Age and we've been rocking out ever since.

I'll keep updating this as I post more videos, so let me know what you think since I'm always looking to get better:

1. Ogres vs Beastmen
Big Fat takes on Triple T in an 8th edition battle where we laugh at how bad I am.

2. Dark Elves vs Orcs and Goblins
More 8th Edition action where Boned67 uses every unpainted model he owns, just to spite me, and calls out Martin van Buren and his Dark Elves.

3. Ogres vs. Beastmen
Yep, Beastmen again, but more different Beastmen led by WP Piglet! That and it's all Yhetee action for me. We also make the switch to The 9th Age Beta.

4. Ogre Tribes vs. Vampire Covenants
More 9th Age Beta action where my Yhetees and Thundertusk do actual work against Turkey Sub's VC.

5. Ogre Tribes vs. Warriors of the Wastes
Ack, the elderly decide to take me down a few pegs for our last game using The 9th Age Alpha. Next up: Beta rules!

6. Ogre Khans vs. The Undying Dynasties
To prove I'm not dead, I've got another Battle Report. This time against the undead..... which isn't me.
Last edited by kylek2235 on Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bobo the Vampire Monkey

Re: Onward to The 9th Age!

Postby Bobo the Vampire Monkey » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:08 am

Dear Mr Fat,
I like your reports. Thank you for taking the time and effort. Glad to see you guys are represe'in the 9th.

kylek2235

Postby kylek2235 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:50 pm

Thanks, but the choice wasn't that hard. KoW is fun, but we kept wishing it was more like Warhammer. The 9th Age is an awesome ruleset and I think has a good chance of being better than 7th edition Warhammer.

Marquis

Postby Marquis » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:33 pm

These look great, thanks for posting them! We are looking forward to more with the new 9th Age temp army lists.

kylek2235

Postby kylek2235 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:40 am

I just put up Episode 5. Unfortunately, it's still Alpha 9th Age, but it's the last Alpha. It's all Beta from this point forward. It's a great game against a pretty balanced Warriors army. Well, balanced for Warriors that is.

kylek2235

Postby kylek2235 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:21 am

Episode 6 is up and I take on a friend's midget Undying Dynasties. Yep, midgets. The amy, although unpainted, is heavily converted and looks great.

Lil' Ed's List:
Nomarch on Sphinx
Death Cult Hierarch w/ pathfinder and Cloak of Dunes

20 skeletons with bows
20 skeletons with bows
6 chariots with flame banner
5 skeletal cav

4 scarab swarms
3 sand stalkers
sand scorpion
6 shabtis
2 winged reapers

war colossus
soul colossus
casket of phatep

Big Fat's Ogre Khans:
Warlord (+3 attacks and potion of Strength)
BSB

8 Tribesmen w/ shields FC
8 Ironclad FC

4 Yetis
4 Yetis
6 Ogre Mercenaries w/ brace of pistols FC
deformed outcast
deformed outcast

giant
giant
Frosthorn

All of that leads up to a day of fun. My overall plan? Not get run over. My list has no magic and I need to get rid of his support units if I want any sort of chance of staying in this game.

wardancer

Postby wardancer » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:14 am

Unfortunately I don't really have enough time to properly watch your reports although I glanced at them and they seem to be prepared really well, so i will attempt to do it at some point. I definitelyu like your army, not a standard approach, something I always appreciate. How did you find new ogres? and how about new Desert Undead? :)
Cheers

kylek2235

Postby kylek2235 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:54 am

No shame in that. There are far better battle reporters than I in the world and I honestly wish I had more time for them as well. I'm way way behind in both Swordmasters and Oncebittens battle reports.

There's lots of things I like about the new Ogres. Expanded access to magic is well done, the lore of butchery is finally a decent lore, the Rockhorn changes are excellent. Finally, someone started looking at him like a Triceratops and not like a chariot. Hmmmm..... what else. Weapon rules changes for things like additional hand weapons (although not Ogre specific) and the leadbelcher cannons are great too. Although I really liked the vanguarding Yetis, Scouting Yetis are ok. Still light years ahead of what they were before. I really love the Chaos Ogre and Hunter/Yeti list options too

Things I'm not sold on: Only -3 to Int with a min of 1 from the Frosthorn is hard to swallow. It really limits the usefullness since so much of the army either doesn't need him (yetis) won't benefit (Ironclad and Leadbelchers) or aren't good in combat (fragglins and Tribesmen). I'm just not feeling the synergy there. Also, Trackers still have no monster hunting roll in the army, which leaves the heavy lifting to the cannons. I'm still waiting on the winter themed units to pick up the slack and keep the Thundercracker and Mountain Raiders from being mainstays again.

Post Character Shield Walls might be a rough era for the fatties as well.

As for the Undying Dynasties: It's all about the constructs for me. It really seems like they can fill a void in the army now. The War Colossus is awesome. The Shabtis are probably my favorite though. Not becauase they're the best, but because I own some of the GW Ushabti and they've never really made it to the table because of how awful they were and now they've found new (un)life. At some point I'll have to shelve the Ogres and bring out some of my other armies. I'm spoiled for choice I guess. :D

Return to “Reports from the Battlefield”