WFB: Reworked and Rebalanced

Platform for development and rebalancing of the game with Furion

Moderators: Furion, Keepers of the Peace

Infyrna
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

Re: WFB: Reworked and Rebalanced

Postby Infyrna » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:14 pm

Any News on how the books are going. one of our campaign members is really struggling since the Skaven book is still not out yet for him.

I hope this awesome project is still being worked on?

Vulcan

Postby Vulcan » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:06 pm

Infyrna wrote:Any News on how the books are going. one of our campaign members is really struggling since the Skaven book is still not out yet for him.

I hope this awesome project is still being worked on?

You could let him use the 9th Age Skaven book until Furion gets done with his version. The 9th Age Skaven book is one of the better ones there.
Wrong Vulcan, you pointy-eared freak!

Infyrna

Postby Infyrna » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:03 pm

Problem with that is that 9th ed brings a lot of changes and new abilities.

Vulcan

Postby Vulcan » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:47 am

And the 7E Skaven AB didn't?

That's doubtless what's taking Furion so long updating it; the Skaven book is so whacky and weird compared to the mainstream WFB rules...

Vazalaar

Postby Vazalaar » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:18 pm

Infyrna wrote:I hope this awesome project is still being worked on?

I hope so, but I assume it is dead. It probably was to expected when ETC chosed for the 9th Age. :(

SuperJudas

Postby SuperJudas » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:15 pm

I would be fun to get the last armybooks updated. Everybody is not going over to 9th

v3n0m-RzR
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Postby v3n0m-RzR » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:44 pm

Please don't tell me this won't get finished, really looking forward to your version of the beastmen book
Watford Dirty Wizard

Basilisk15

Postby Basilisk15 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:46 am

Hey,

Just saw this after getting really tired of the imbalance that 9th age has done. I love what you have done with everything and I really look forward to all the books being done. This is what Fantasy needs to stay alive. Not some unbalanced fan thing my friends and I broke in 3 play through (We have about 70 games of it so far and we are done, only played it that long so we can say we gave it a try). We are a competitive group, in single games but really enjoy campaigns and story driven, of about 40 of us in the area and man is 9th super imbalanced. Yours is very well done and although I don't think all the changes were needed it brings so many new, old and unique lists back into the game. Sure you aren't rewriting everything and thats good. Fantasy was fun, AOS wasn't. Please let me know if you need anything from us. Some of us have tried Kings of War but after introducing everyone to your system. There is no way, we want to play fantasy.

Absolutely great work and let us know if you need any feedback and keep up the good work, the community needs this no matter what, it will keep the game alive. 9th age is just so bland. All the armies work the same but with different points cost, hence the imbalance but worst still is that none of them feel unique anymore. Can't wait for the next book.

Vulcan

Postby Vulcan » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:24 pm

Can you tell me more about the imbalances and your playtests of them? I've been hammering away at the 9th Age leaders about the imbalance issues and they've... been less than willing to listen to me, because I'm the only WFB player in a 120 mile radius and don't get any chances to do playtesting.

I'd love to be able to (figuratively) smack them in the face with some playtesting that supports what I've been saying.

Basilisk15

Postby Basilisk15 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:35 am

Yeah they have been really bad on doing anything other than their own thing. They won't respond to me at all with anything other than "you dont know what your talking about" and have on many occasions resorted to insults regarding my experience in the game so forth. They were not the best people to have taken over something like this. Their edition is truly a "Fan" edition.

But as for breaking everything there are honestly so many spots the one I'll talk bout right now while i have time is mounts. If you look at how you do wounds it's all based on the monster and so is the WS. So just take the monster and then put a completely killtacular lord on top (cheap guy with low WS, you use monsters) with a bunch of attack upgrades. This usually works best on dragons. He then gains the mounts weapon skill which can be a good or bad thing but you built him for killing with nor egard for defensive items so he's cheaper. Now you can't kill the lord. Artillery and big magic have been nerfed stupidly hard so one of my buddies brings 2 dragons(ridden) and another 4 big baddies and some books have no counter. I have a friend who plays demons and all he brings now are the flying melee monsters but hose don't even have riders and aren't as bad. You use the monsters skill on everything but leadership, which you use the riders so now not only is it a bad idea to put any defensive things on your rider (Why? when it's all about the monster, make him hit harder) but the monster no longer fails at what monsters usually failed at, loss due to combat resolution or a failed leadership roll. That's just one and some armies (Elves and Humans with T3 especially benefit from). Its really just a fan dream and we are no longer even following it.

Would rather quit fantasy than play the 9th Age. There are several unit types that magic and all the other things these fanboys hate and nerfed countered. So basically take as many of those as possible and roll into your opponent. They won't listen which is why I hope Furion finished his points balancing. It's what Fantasy actually needs.

Frederique

Postby Frederique » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:06 pm

Poor Furion, how many hours and days of his life must he use on this project? :shock:
I like this work too, but it's asking a bit too much isnt it?
Also, not to steal Furions thunder or anything, but KOW is seriously the new thing. Why wait for home made stuff when theres a proper one out just waiting to get played. (althought I think you need to have a love for "chess thinking" and esthetics/nice looking units to really love KOW. if you are all about "beating your opponent with the latest FAQ and rules trick" then I suspect Warmachine & Hordes is more your cup of tea. Skirmish game tho...)
Fred

2013-2015 WHFB ETC Head Ref & FAQ team
2015- KOW player

Herminard

Postby Herminard » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:43 am

@vulcan & basilisk

I dont know where you have directed your feedback - but either @abrasus for data mining, the relevant army group or a direct PM to me if all else fails are all open channels for feedback - we take feedback _very_ seriously - and we aim to make both top end tournament players, garage hammerers and hobbyist collectors fully able to play with what they have and not find that the _main_ limitation is the imbalance of the ruleset or the stats/cost of models.

Big release in +/- 30 days.

TLDR: PM me.

Cheers,

Vulcan

Postby Vulcan » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:26 pm

Herminard, Moose was quit the KoE ABC because he was told to stop trying to fix what I was pointing out in the threads. And yes, he quit because of it, not because of whatever PC BS he told you in his resignation letter. You see, we were in communication over those same issues...

I was often told to (basically) sit down, shut up, and take what the RT wanted to give us for KoE. So... here I am.

eriktheguy

Postby eriktheguy » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:21 am

Frederique wrote:KOW is seriously the new thing. Why wait for home made stuff when theres a proper one out just waiting to get played. (althought I think you need to have a love for "chess thinking" and esthetics/nice looking units to really love KOW.

I think that's why many players don't bother with KoW. They don't want the game to be chess. I've done a couple of games and my main complaint is that most armies (and units at that) have very little to distinguish them from each other. Maybe it's more strategic or less random, but I play warhammer for the chaos and I just don't get that from KoW.

KoW is less a replacement and more like something completely different.

Vulcan

Postby Vulcan » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:40 pm

I find KoW to be a suitable placeholder between the complexity of WFB and the idiot-level simplicity of AoS. It has some complexity, but nowhere near what WFB featured.

Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing depends on the level of complexity you desire in your wargames.

silashand

Postby silashand » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:42 pm

While there is much about WFB I miss in KoW, I do find the games are in general much more enjoyable overall. There is almost never an "argument phase" about the rules like what frequently happened during Warhammer games when something wasn't clear. Sure, I liked the customization available and the uniqueness of some elements of each army, but there is enough there to keep it interesting IMO. I do think there could be some more flavor added, but until that happens at least now *every* army I own is somewhat competitive and not dependent upon the vagaries of whatever new model GW decided to produce to make it so. That at least I absolutely do not miss about WFB. JMO though...
Admin - Bugman's Brewery

"Stand up for what you believe in, even if it means standing alone." - Unknown
"Every man is guilty of all the good he didn't do." - Voltaire (1694-1778)
"Each day you must choose: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret." - Unknown

6 x 9 = 42

hardyworld

Postby hardyworld » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:22 pm

Is this project dead? I really like what was put together here, is there no chance Furion will finish up the Beastmen and Skaven?

Allaric

Postby Allaric » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:29 pm

hardyworld wrote:Is this project dead? I really like what was put together here, is there no chance Furion will finish up the Beastmen and Skaven?

I think its a good bet that it has ended. If you watch Furions youtube he states that he was preparing the rules for ETC , and he said if the ETC went with his rules then he would make a final complete set of rules for all the armies. Since ETC went with 9th Age , I would figure it's over and there is no longer any reason for him to continue.

If you are still looking for new rules usable with 8th edition try this website Eighth Edition For Life they are working on continued 8th edition rules , and also there is this website for lots of 8th edition compatible rules Warhammer Armies Project they have a good list of army books.

Folomo

Postby Folomo » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:11 pm

Or you could try the same game Furion preferred over his own work, The 9th Age :)
It is a really good effort, and all armies are finished already. The beta will be done this week =D>
The fact that it is a big group effort (over 100 working on the background, art and rules) means no risk of one person getting tired and the project dying :D

http://www.the-ninth-age.com/

Have fun!

Vazalaar

Postby Vazalaar » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:42 pm

Folomo wrote:Or you could try the same game Furion preferred over his own work, The 9th Age :)
It is a really good effort, and all armies are finished already. The beta will be done this week =D>
The fact that it is a big group effort (over 100 working on the background, art and rules) means no risk of one person getting tired and the project dying :D

http://www.the-ninth-age.com/

Have fun!

What a shame, because I prefer his work instead of 9th Age. I am still using his changes for our Warhammer games.

Vulcan

Postby Vulcan » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:55 pm

I'd hardly call 9th Age armies finished; there are some rather glaring holes still to be fixed (not-Bretonnian cavalry being outperformed by cavalry from OTHER armies, for example).

Folomo

Postby Folomo » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:39 pm

A mistake on how I expressed myself.
The 9TH Age project is not done, but the beta is finished.
After 6 months of playtesting, there will be a new iteration (v1.1?) trying to get an even better balance (and hopefully expand the armies a little too.)

Vulcan

Postby Vulcan » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:38 pm

Furion, if you're still watching this, PLEASE finish this project. We desperately need a completed, balanced, fun NextHammer game.

As opposed to the NotHammer T9A has become.

Return to “WFB Reworked & Rebalanced”