Discuss the game from Mantic here

Moderators: Lord Marcus, Baragash, Keepers of the Peace

HappyFeet1402
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

Getting Started

Postby HappyFeet1402 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:35 pm

Hi all,

Looking for just a bit of info/advice, I used to play WFB & 40k but upon looking into them lately it seems like WFB has gone the way of the Dodo, and GW keeps putting prices up,

With KoW can I ask for the forums expertise...

1: I have an 11yr old son, and WFB would've been too complicated, but would this system be friendlier to learn?

2: Regarding the minis, are they as customisable as GWs used to be, or are they pretty much sold assembled?

3: with Mantics paints etc are they as good as GWs used to be or would I be best getting a different supplier?

Thanks in advance,

Frederique

Re: Getting Started

Postby Frederique » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:28 am

Much easier to learn.

Minis not as customisable or detailed, but getting better, and to be fair most of us just use our old GW minis in the game anyway (which mantic has no problem with, as they do not have minis for all their own armies yet) I have of course made an entire mantic undead army because of principle, but my Elf army is just made up of my old GW Dark Elves.

Do mantic even do paints? Stick to the ones you know. I wanted to stop using GW paints (again, because of principle) but came crawling back after I wasnt able to become friendly with the other brands... I just have so much habit and know-how tied up in the GW ones that it's too much trouble to "learn" a new range.
Fred

2013-2015 WHFB ETC Head Ref & FAQ team
2015- KOW player

Jez [Skewtooth]
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Postby Jez [Skewtooth] » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:08 am

The paints Mantic sell are the Army Painter Warpaints range.

I've not used the paints themselves but I highly recommend the Quickshade Inks (the dropper bottles - not the tins) - they are very useful indeed.

spikyandy
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Postby spikyandy » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:56 am

HappyFeet1402 wrote:1: I have an 11yr old son, and WFB would've been too complicated, but would this system be friendlier to learn?

Yes it is much easier than warhammer to learn. The movement rules are very straight forward. There is no ambiguity and it is simple system to follow.

HappyFeet1402 wrote:2: Regarding the minis, are they as customisable as GWs used to be, or are they pretty much sold assembled?

From looking at Mantic's miniatures they seem very posed, however, I'm not totally sure as I'm using GW models to play (being an ex warhammer player. I would say the new GW miniatures seem to be posed these days as well.

HappyFeet1402 wrote:3: with Mantics paints etc are they as good as GWs used to be or would I be best getting a different supplier?

GW's paints have really improved lately so I'm sticking with them myself.
Andy

Read about my wargaming exploits, Doctor Who interest, and general tweeting @Andy_Parker1982

My 2017 Painting Pledge

Wargaming in Reading & Berkshire, visit The Spiky Club

spikyandy's Market Feedback link

Nibbles

Postby Nibbles » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:06 pm

40 pages of background story, 40 pages of rules and 40 pages of 11 army lists, all in the same main book. It's fantastic value for money and an easy game to learn, with plenty enough depth on the path to mastering it.

The official models aren't of such high quality though as the GW miniatures of old. The plastic is a little bit harder to deal with too, but the models are also much better value for your money as well as you get more and pay less than you'd pay for new GW stuff. But it is also written into the rules that you are free to use models from whatever manufacturer you like, and there are plenty of those to be found on the internet. This game enables a far broader experience of the whole collecting hobby, and won't lock your son into becoming a victim of corporate greed.
I do respect your opinions even when I do not state so, we are all free to disagree and agree here. And I certainly do not assume that my ideas about the rules would be the only proper ones. We all have our own ways for playing these games and that is fine.

The Nick

Postby The Nick » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:39 am

1: I have an 11yr old son, and WFB would've been too complicated, but would this system be friendlier to learn?
It's very friendly to learn. It plays as deep but is much more streamlined, fewer words, better diagrams. Everything everybody said so far is true.

2: Regarding the minis, are they as customisable as GWs used to be, or are they pretty much sold assembled?

Afraid I don't know enough about them. From just looking at prices, the value looks better, although from peeking at a few finished products, GW is still top tier quality.

3: with Mantics paints etc are they as good as GWs used to be or would I be best getting a different supplier?

GW paints are great, but they're not "double the price" great. Army Painter and Vallejo are just fine.

If you're stuck with the color knowledge, there are bunches of places online that do 'color conversions' for you. Look it up or just ask here and somebody (maybe me) will throw some links out.
Sleboda wrote:POOPOOPOOP

Sceleris

Postby Sceleris » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:38 pm

Pretty much covered above.

The rules are straight forward, turn sequence simple (move, shoot/magic, combat) and they are both free on line and with an active rules committee with an up to date FAQ when things do need clarifying. Unit, not model, based so everything are standardized sizes

Mantic has a core number of armies for which it does models. Some are fairly generic (elves, goblins, orcs, undead) others more "their own" - basilea (who are religious lot with sisters, panther riders and angels) , some mer-people and a variety of unique units.

Some of their early stuff doesn't get a good rep (cos it doesn't fit with gw style and some sculpts aren't great) and some people don't like the resin/plastic style of other units but in general its worth a look. Ghouls, zombies especially are v nice and good value.

Pretty much free rein with models, plus its a unit based game so multibasing is king.

Give it a go.

Return to “Kings of War”