SUCCESSOR TO WARHAMMER FANTASY?

Discuss the game from Mantic here

Moderators: Lord Marcus, Baragash, Keepers of the Peace

Koshtra Belorn
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

SUCCESSOR TO WARHAMMER FANTASY?

Postby Koshtra Belorn » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:49 pm

Some readers of this forum will recall the Warhammer battle reports I used to write. Unfortunately, I grew a bit disillusioned with Warhammer and decided to quit the hobby. I put my armies up for sale and switched to playing bridge.

Unfortunately, a lot of my models failed to sell and sat in the attic growing dusty.

And then I discovered Kings of War and my interest in fantasy wargaming was rekindled. I have found that Kings of War avoids many of the failings that drove me out of Warhammer and I really enjoy the system. Inevitably, it took some time to get to grips with the rules and there are some aspects that I initially found a bit limiting compared to Warhammer; but greater exposure has changed my mind and I have now fully embraced the game.

The particular plusses of the game are:

COST: One book covers the rules and 11 army lists. A second book covers another 10 armies. There is no insistence on using a particular brand of miniatures in competition play.

SIMPLICITY. I tried to teach my next door neighbour’s son to play Warhammer. Nightmare. Kings of War benefits from: simple and clear rules, no plethora of special rules for each race. When units fight each other, there is no need to monitor which model is fighting which enemy figure. Far fewer rules debates during tournaments.

TRANPARENCY. When I first started playing Warhammer, I grew frustrated with not knowing the special rules for other races and losing great chunks of my army to a previously unheard of special rule. With Kings of War it is generally pretty clear what the enemy units can do from a quick view of the battlefield. Where greater clarity is required there are only 2 books to refer to rather than the massive Warhammer 8th edition rule tome and the separate army books.

BALANCE. The armies are very well balanced against each other with no automatic wins. This makes for better balanced tournaments and fewer disappointing unavoidable losses. There are also no game-ending uber-spells or broken magic item combinations; while this may disappoint some players, I personally prefer gaming this way.

SPEED OF PLAY. Typically a 2,000 point game is allotted 2¼ hours or so. We generally finish within that time. There is no need to remove models from units during game play and it is therefore much quicker to reorganise between games.

VISUAL SATISFACTION. As models are not removed from bases during games and characters do not join units, regiments can be multi-based thus allowing artistic licence in preparing a visually satisfying army.

I am sold on the system and if anybody else is struggling with the successor systems to Warhammer Fantasy, I suggest giving Kings of War a trial You will be pleasantly surprised.
Last edited by Koshtra Belorn on Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

KB

YorkshireKings

Re: SUCCESSOR TO WARHAMMER FANTASY

Postby YorkshireKings » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:35 pm

Welcome to the games!

I can't believe how big it's become in just 6 months, pretty crazy.

Suffering from too many tournaments at the moment (never thought I'd say that) but I'd agree with your bonus points.

Hopefully 9th Age players will come on board too eventually, as it's near enough the same models and quite easy to play both games.

The future is bright :)

emrys

Postby emrys » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:27 am

I was another doubting thomas - playing wfb since 2nd ed - I was disillusioned with 8th ed and I gave AOS every possible chance but it just didn't do it for me.

Kings of War? I had read the rules but I thought it looked a little bland and as recently as January I had no real interest. Until I (reluctantly) played a game. WoW, it was an eyeopener - Lots of tactics, no crutches and games over in under 90 minutes?? Added to that the fact that I can use any models from any range and create scenic bases etc - well it is a hobbyist's dream.

I have painted more minis in the last 2 months than I had in previous 2 years. I am finally realising my dream of a halfling only army (check out glass cabinet) and already planning my next army project.

This game has given a cynical old gamer/hobbyist his mojo back =D> =D>

YorkshireKings

Postby YorkshireKings » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:27 pm

Loving KoW too!

Took me a while at first, didn't like it in the beginning, think I even reviewed it as a 6.5/10!

A few more games later and I was hooked, tactically it's great, and I'm enjoying it more than I have ever enjoyed 8th.

Gonna to give 9th age a shot once it's finally finished but tbh it just seems like a chore now and I can't see it lasting that long, hope it's great though.

Praise the lord Age of Sigmar came along and opened my eyes as I would never has even tried other games until then.

spikyandy
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Postby spikyandy » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:12 am

YorkshireKings wrote:Praise the lord Age of Sigmar came along and opened my eyes as I would never has even tried other games until then.

I wish it had happened sooner, I was not enjoying 8th over it's last year and a half, two years, but reluctant to try anything else. Age of Sigmar was the push to start new games, Kings of War among them and I'm having a much better time gaming now, and more inclination and want to paint as well.
Andy

Read about my wargaming exploits, Doctor Who interest, and general tweeting @Andy_Parker1982

My 2017 Painting Pledge

Wargaming in Reading & Berkshire, visit The Spiky Club

spikyandy's Market Feedback link

Jez [Skewtooth]

Postby Jez [Skewtooth] » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:34 am

I've been playing KoW for some time and I'm really pleased to see more and more players saying how much they enjoy it.

It is particularly noticeable in the way that the tournament scene is really taking off at the moment. In the UK right now the calendar is filling up with smallish one day events but I wouldn't be surprised to see larger events and two events becoming more common. The tournament scene in the US seems to be huge right now.

Nibbles

Postby Nibbles » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:20 pm

It indeed is the spiritual successor to some of the past editions of Warhammer Fantasy, it reminds me of the best parts of 6th, 7th and 8th. Broken item combinations and spells were part of the spirit of the game for some Warhammerists but I do not miss those aspects of the game at all. KoW is a refined, improved Fantasy Battle experience.
I do respect your opinions even when I do not state so, we are all free to disagree and agree here. And I certainly do not assume that my ideas about the rules would be the only proper ones. We all have our own ways for playing these games and that is fine.

The Nick

Postby The Nick » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:01 am

emrys wrote:WoW, it was an eyeopener - Lots of tactics, no crutches and games over in under 90 minutes??
Got a 1500 point game in 69 minutes - I know, because we used a chess clock for turns.

This included chatting with an onlooker and talking about the game AND getting a 7th turn into the game (I ran down to 4m 15s, but still got it done). That's amazing. And we're hardly "professionals" with the system, albeit experienced game runners (my opponent used to manage a G.W. store, in fact).

While I talked up the system long before AoS, I'm glad it's getting the attention it deserves, even if for some silly reasons in some situations.

"Spiritual successor" is a GREAT description. Alessio Cavatore's work is great, but he clearly knows his audience and what he's trying to achieve - the system grabs all the best parts of what gamers love while avoiding the surprisingly common pitfalls other game systems keep tripping over. It would be unfair to say he's just stripping away the "bad" and keeping the "good from other systems, since it's much more than that (and technically, he wrote 'the other systems' as well).

I like it a bunch.
Sleboda wrote:POOPOOPOOP

silashand

Re: SUCCESSOR TO WARHAMMER FANTASY?

Postby silashand » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:05 am

Having a lot of fun with KoW nowadays. I have honestly been more motivated to work on my armies than I have since mid-7th edition WFB. While I miss some elements of Warhammer, KoW is excellent in its own right and I am learning to like the streamlined system. Finishing games in 90 min? What's not to love? :-)
Admin - Bugman's Brewery

"Stand up for what you believe in, even if it means standing alone." - Unknown
"Every man is guilty of all the good he didn't do." - Voltaire (1694-1778)
"Each day you must choose: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret." - Unknown

6 x 9 = 42

Return to “Kings of War”