Kingdom of Men missile unit sizes

Discuss the game from Mantic here

Moderators: Lord Marcus, Baragash, Keepers of the Peace

spikyandy
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Kingdom of Men missile unit sizes

Postby spikyandy » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:21 pm

I've been fielding my missile units(or Kingdom of Men) as regiments for the higher nerve, however, I'm now wondering if it is worth just taking two units of troops instead of one regiment to get more shots out at the expense of nerve. I am also aware that two units instead of one will take up more of the deployment line, however, 16 shots over 10 seems quite good. Is this mad?
Andy

Read about my wargaming exploits, Doctor Who interest, and general tweeting @Andy_Parker1982

My 2017 Painting Pledge

Wargaming in Reading & Berkshire, visit The Spiky Club

spikyandy's Market Feedback link

Nibbles
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

Re: Kingdom of Men missile unit sizes

Postby Nibbles » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:32 pm

It's a gamble which either pays off or does not, depending on the ranged capability of the opposing army and terrain. You lose the benefit of a hero/monster/war engine slot also, but if that's not an issue then go for it and see what happens. :)
I do respect your opinions even when I do not state so, we are all free to disagree and agree here. And I certainly do not assume that my ideas about the rules would be the only proper ones. We all have our own ways for playing these games and that is fine.

spikyandy

Postby spikyandy » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:33 pm

Nibbles wrote: You lose the benefit of a hero/monster/war engine slot also, but if that's not an issue then go for it and see what happens. :)

I hadn't even thought of that. I'd probably drop a wizard to accommodate the extra points but also to free up the slot.
Andy

Read about my wargaming exploits, Doctor Who interest, and general tweeting @Andy_Parker1982

My 2017 Painting Pledge

Jez [Skewtooth]

Postby Jez [Skewtooth] » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:58 pm

In v1 troops were the way to go. In v2 it is a more even choice and it depends on the build of your particular army.

Two troops put out more shots and are harder to shut down with disruption but cost more points and don't unlock other choices in the way that regiments do. It is swings and roundabouts.

neilbrown

Postby neilbrown » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:48 pm

Jez [Skewtooth] wrote:In v1 troops were the way to go. In v2 it is a more even choice and it depends on the build of your particular army.

Two troops put out more shots and are harder to shut down with disruption but cost more points and don't unlock other choices in the way that regiments do. It is swings and roundabouts.

Ok I got it, thanks for the clarification.

The Nick

Postby The Nick » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:51 am

There's always more value to 'more units' than less. You're getting something for it, but you're giving something up. Bunching men into one big unit gives you the nerve and reduces your footprint as well as the "cost" of the unit, while spreading them out gives you more tactical versatility.

There's something to be said for smaller units of shooters in the Manly Kingdoms. My 1,500 point army has 11 drops plus two heroes, no hordes. It's vulnerable everywhere, but gives you lots of options.

I get a lot out of tiny troops of crossbows. They can reach out and put out a little hurt, but their real benefit is they're an obnoxious size at an obnoxious cost - it's hard to justify not dealing with them, but it's equally hard to justify eliminating them. You can stick them off to one side and just shoot for days. If something big meanders off to the flanks to take them out, you can punish them for it. If they ignore it, they're suddenly much more dangerous when they get in the flank or the rear - not as bad as "real" troops, but suddenly a threat.

And finally, multiple troops are harder to eliminate in close combat than regiments or hordes. Clogging up the line with troops of these shooters lets you put some rounds of shooting on a big horde that might be advancing. When it gets close enough, you can charge your whole line at it whereas the response is forced to eliminate your relatively inexpensive troops in detail, counter-charging each one individually while you charge/shoot.

Smaller troops of shooters have a specific use ("shooting at stuff from afar") on their own, but their REAL benefit is they can be "attached" to a flank and suddenly get some extra options - maybe that group of nine or ten handgunners doubles as chaff? Maybe they'll get a flank charge in? Maybe they're a diversion to draw some outriders far from the battle where their efforts are better served? Maybe they just stick advance up a flank so they can start sniping away at damaged, retreating units, intending to force additional Nerve checks on units that a smart general planned to withdraw from battle to save from destruction?

Regiments and hordes have their place, but I'm loving having lots of troops!

(The clear disadvantage is the lower Nerve and need to know your opponent and play it hard, as you're much closer to balancing on a knife's edge than a safer, regimentier build. Pros and cons. Neither way is "right" or "wrong").
Sleboda wrote:POOPOOPOOP

Koshtra Belorn

Postby Koshtra Belorn » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:06 am

One other advantage of larger units is that the benefit of magical artefacts is increased. Blessing of the Gods, Chant of Hate, Heart-Seeking Chant, Jar of Four Winds and Brew of Keen-Eyeness are all options to enhance the impact of ranged units but offer a greater benefit to those units with a larger number of attacks for the same price.
Regards,

KB

spikyandy

Postby spikyandy » Tue May 03, 2016 12:33 pm

The Nick, some interesting thoughts there, thank you for sharing.
Andy

My 2017 Painting Pledge

Return to “Kings of War”