2k Abyssal Dwarf list for critique

Discuss the game from Mantic here

Moderators: Lord Marcus, Baragash, Keepers of the Peace

Delf Chorf
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

2k Abyssal Dwarf list for critique

Postby Delf Chorf » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:12 pm

KoW seems to be taking off in my area, so I'm looking to join in on the action.

I've played a few games and really enjoyed it. It's basically what I always wished WHFB was. I was watching 9th Age develop, but basing it on 8th edition instead of 7th really bummed me out. I just can't get around random charge distances.

Now I'm looking to get serious with my Abyssal Dwarves.

Regiment of BlackSouls w/scrying gem

Horde of Decimators w/jar
Horde of Grotesques w/caterpillar
Horde of Grotesques w/brew of strength

Dragonfire team
Dragonfire team
Angkor heavy mortor

Overmaster on dragon w/enscorcelled armor
Overmaster with wings
Halfbreed champion
Halfbreed champion

I know it's a little character heavy, but I think they can all do serious work. I thought about Golems, but I didn't want to take characters to babysit (surge, heal) them. I think the Halfbreed champions are really good, so I wanted to test them out. Having two flying defense 6 guys seemed like a good idea too.

Nibbles

Re: 2k Abyssal Dwarf list for critique

Postby Nibbles » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:08 pm

Serious as in serious tournament gaming?

There's an official tournament comp pack coming out soon from Mantic, but if this list passes any local comp then sure, it looks fairly decent.

You might want to swap the Angkor Mortar for a Katsuchan Rocket launcher, as a single Mortar isn't much of a threat. A single rocket launcher will cause hits in most games before it gets neutralised by the enemy. And you want to cause those hits, as the enemy needs to be weakened before they charge your lines.

Jar of the Four Winds does not work on the Decimator unit. Breath Attacks and Spells can't be affected by magical artifacts, it says so on the first page of the magical artifact rules. You might want to swap this unit for something else if you don't want to field a Horde of regular decimators.

Two flyers with Defence 6 is fairly usual for the more competitive lists, some armies will field even more.
I do respect your opinions even when I do not state so, we are all free to disagree and agree here. And I certainly do not assume that my ideas about the rules would be the only proper ones. We all have our own ways for playing these games and that is fine.

Delf Chorf

Postby Delf Chorf » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:39 pm

Nibbles wrote:Serious as in serious tournament gaming?

There's an official tournament comp pack coming out soon from Mantic, but if this list passes any local comp then sure, it looks fairly decent.

Yup, and thanks for the heads up. I'll be sure to watch for it.

Nibbles wrote: You might want to swap the Angkor Mortar for a Katsuchan Rocket launcher, as a single Mortar isn't much of a threat. A single rocket launcher will cause hits in most games before it gets neutralised by the enemy. And you want to cause those hits, as the enemy needs to be weakened before they charge your lines.

Thanks, I'll strongly consider it. I have the Hellcannon model, that's honestly what tipped me in favor of the big guy. I may just use it as the Rocket Launcher though, I do like the more consistent damage.

Nibbles wrote: Jar of the Four Winds does not work on the Decimator unit. Breath Attacks and Spells can't be affected by magical artifacts, it says so on the first page of the magical artifact rules. You might want to swap this unit for something else if you don't want to field a Horde of regular decimators.

:evil: :evil: :evil: Dammit. It was seriously the selling point of the unit in my eyes. Hmmm a lot to think about now. That was the first unit I put in my list.

If I drop them and the mortar, I think I'll add something along the lines of a horde of blacksouls (probably with 2 handed weapons because I think other units will have my opponent's attention), 2 troops of gargoyles, and a rocket launcher.

Definitely pushed my list into a more offensive direction, but I gain 2 drops out of it. I'll need to cut some points, so I think the brew will vanish.

I gotta think about it some more. I still might keep the decimators. Have you played any games with/against them?

Nibbles

Postby Nibbles » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:08 am

Nope, haven't played any games yet nor seen an Abyssal Dwarf army yet. Chaos Dwarf fans were always a really niche group and I can imagine that group being even smaller for Kings of War. I've been thinking of buying the mega army deal though, I'm a Dwarf player from Warhammer myself.

Blacksouls & Gargoyles indeed sound better than a horde of Decimators. You already have plenty of Breath Weapons in your list elsewhere. I'm not sure about two handed weapons on the Blacksouls though, you already have great "hammer" units in your army in the form of the Grotesques, Halfbreeds and the Dragon. The Blacksouls are also more likely to get charged first, so that 5+ Defence would be good for them. Being slowest infantry in the game does make them more vulnerable to ranged attacks also, you'd end up having to screen them behind the Grotesques in many of your games and you don't want that kind of a narrow front with such a tiny army.

The throwing dogs can be a surprisingly effective secret weapon for the infantry, you should take them too.
I do respect your opinions even when I do not state so, we are all free to disagree and agree here. And I certainly do not assume that my ideas about the rules would be the only proper ones. We all have our own ways for playing these games and that is fine.

Shyanekh

Postby Shyanekh » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:22 am

Yep, two troops of gargoyles are probably among the first units I'd think to put in any abyssal dwarf list ;)

While going character heavy certainly can be a valid approach, you're going to have to be extremely careful how you choose your fights. Defense 6 is fantastic, but a lot of units out there can really punish you with a flank or (God forbid) a rear charge. The gargoyles would come in very handy there.

If you end up going for the blacksouls, it may be worth giving them +1 Sp since it's a cheap enough upgrade and will somewhat help them keep pace with your other units. Dragonfires are going to be vulnerable, but they're really only there to blast flyers and other fast units.

Delf Chorf

Postby Delf Chorf » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:17 pm

Okay, revised list:

Regiment Blacksouls, Scrying Gem
Horde Blacksouls, Fire Oil

Troop Gargoyles
Troop Gargoyles

Horde of Grotesques
Horde of Grotesques, Caterpillar

Dragonfire Team
Dragonfire Team
Katsuchan Rocket Launcher

Overmaster, Wings
Overmaster on Dragon, Ensorcelled Armor
Abyssal Halfbreed Champion
Abyssal Halfbreed Champion

I think I might like this list more. Not sure about the Fire Oil over the War Bow. I like putting items on Hordes though, just feels good. Unsure of the best spot for it, I put it on the Blacksouls because they need the extra punch more than the Horde of Grotesques does.

Shyanekh

Postby Shyanekh » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:54 pm

Yep looks good. Definitely think fire oil is a better bet than the war bow. There are a fair few regenerating units dotted about and an extra bit of combat punch can go a long way.

Return to “Kings of War”