Easiest army to play in KoW?

Discuss the game from Mantic here

Moderators: Lord Marcus, Baragash, Keepers of the Peace

Time of Madness
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Easiest army to play in KoW?

Postby Time of Madness » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:43 am

My local hobby store has been hosting a bi-weekly warhammer night for as long as I can remember....15+ years?

When AoS hit they moved from 8th edition to AoS. It started off strong, but soon failed until they got to the point where no one was showing up. Next week the shop has moved from AoS to KoW and I'd like to go out for a demo game. I have 4 painted armies and have yet to read the KoW rules. Which army would be the easiest to show up and play with? Tzeentch Daemons, Orcs, Vampires or Lizardmen?

Thanks,
Time of Madness
"The lions sing and the hills take flight.
The moon by day, and the sun by night.
Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
Let the Lord of Chaos rule."
- Robert Jordan

Dwarf Giant

Re: Easiest army to play in KoW?

Postby Dwarf Giant » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:09 pm

I'd imagine the Orc's or Vampires would be the easiest. They both have lists in the official rulebook and have unit so that can easily be transported across. I'd be using one of them to start with I think.
Tris

Just suck it up and keep on punching.

Market feedback link: viewtopic.php?f=68&t=127286

Brother Glacius

Postby Brother Glacius » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:48 pm

I'd go with orcs. Undead requires you to know Surge and Shambling well. Plus the global CS of orcs is pretty handy. Undead are fun to play though.

Nibbles
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

Postby Nibbles » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:27 pm

Undead aren't easy at all, Skeletons, Zombies and Ghouls are rubbish units and the real power of the army lies in small elite regiments of Vampires, Mummies and Wraiths. If the player is transitioning from Warhammer to KoW then chances are his army will be really weak for KoW.

I have found Elves to be the most easiest army, they have the best shooting in the game and decent elite combat units as well. You can soften the enemy units as they advance on you and then finish them off with your melee units.

Orcs are one of the strongest melee armies out there but their ranged support is on the usual level of KoW, which means sub-par when compared to that of the Elves.
I do respect your opinions even when I do not state so, we are all free to disagree and agree here. And I certainly do not assume that my ideas about the rules would be the only proper ones. We all have our own ways for playing these games and that is fine.

Dwarf Giant

Postby Dwarf Giant » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:50 pm

I suppose I should clarify my post - I think the Vampires and Orc's are the easiest to convert over and turn up with out of what you have, not necessarily most easy to use competitively.
Tris

Just suck it up and keep on punching.

Market feedback link: viewtopic.php?f=68&t=127286

Nibbles

Postby Nibbles » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:16 am

Elves are a better choice there as well.

My final purchase in 8th was a used High Elf army. The only thing I can't use from that would be the single Tiranoc Chariot.

a High Elf army(heck, even Wood Elves have it better than Undead) converting from Warhammer to KoW has more units that have a direct counterpart in KoW. Undead players are likely to have an extremely narrow selection of units, unless they collected both Tomb Kings & VC.

Orcs are harder to convert since Orcs and Goblins are separate armies in KoW. You'll have to use the ally rules, but even then the allied contingent can only use up 25% of the available points.

But sure, if you had a pure Orc army in Warhammer, that converts well into KoW. Same goes for the Goblins.
I do respect your opinions even when I do not state so, we are all free to disagree and agree here. And I certainly do not assume that my ideas about the rules would be the only proper ones. We all have our own ways for playing these games and that is fine.

Essexkiwi

Postby Essexkiwi » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:08 am

+1 to using your Orcs. A good place to start.

Agreed though it's frustrating for ex WFB Greenskin players to have to split your old army up into two separate ones for KoW so I hope you have a very large army from the days of 6th or before with loads of Orc infantry.

I thought I had a big army model-count wise when playing Fantasy, but shifting to KoW where the model count is higher and having to halve my army in the process I'm scratching now to make my Orc or Goblin force big enough to play games.

Two saving graces though are GW's Orcs being oversize compared to Mantic ones, and the joy of multibasing.
Spacing miniatures out more on multibases, and adding some themed fillers diorama-style means you can stretch out your model-count of Orcs nicely to make more units, and big ol' GW Orcs space out nicely.

Pretty much all of your WFB Greenskin army is usable in either the Orc or Goblin KoW forces. I think out of my entire Greenskin army only my Doom Divers won't see light of day in KoW.

Snake1311

Postby Snake1311 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:28 pm

Essexkiwi wrote:Agreed though it's frustrating for ex WFB Greenskin players to have to split your old army up into two separate ones for KoW so I hope you have a very large army from the days of 6th or before with loads of Orc infantry.

Makes it even more frustrating that the Uncharted Empires armies pander so much to the WHFB lineup, eh? ;)

In this particular case its worth remembering that 25% allies is part of the core rules, and both Orcs and Gobbos have the same alignment

Hristo Nikolov
ETC WHFB Bulgaria 2012-16

AKI

Postby AKI » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:55 pm

Yeah, you can be careful about which list you buy your elite units and so on from and it is easy to make an Orcs and Goblins army work. It would be wrong to call any army in KoW point and click but Orcs are fairly simple to handle and fairly forgiving.
"I'm not even supposed to be here today!"

Check out my Blog - http://toomuchlead.blogspot.com/ - all sorts of wargaming stuff!

YorkshireKings

Postby YorkshireKings » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:48 am

Snake1311 wrote:
Essexkiwi wrote:Agreed though it's frustrating for ex WFB Greenskin players to have to split your old army up into two separate ones for KoW so I hope you have a very large army from the days of 6th or before with loads of Orc infantry.

Makes it even more frustrating that the Uncharted Empires armies pander so much to the WHFB lineup, eh? ;)

In this particular case its worth remembering that 25% allies is part of the core rules, and both Orcs and Gobbos have the same alignment

It would have been nice if they had a special rule that let them use allies inspiring though, would have just kept them together that little bit more.

Darklord

Postby Darklord » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:58 pm

Nibbles wrote:The only thing I can't use from that would be the single Tiranoc Chariot.

We moved single chariots to the Hero slots so they would need to be unlocked. (to prevent spamming them) So you can use it as a Noble War Chariot.

Daniel.
Member of the Kings of War Rules Committee
UK Kings of War Champion

Nibbles

Postby Nibbles » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:02 pm

Cool, hadn't noticed that! This game just keeps coming up with more awesome stuff after another. :)

Lostcarpark

Postby Lostcarpark » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:41 pm

Really, compared to Warhammer, all KOW armies are a doddle. I guess some might be marginally easier than others, but the rule book has only four pages of special rules, and only 6 spells. You can be up and running with any army in a few hours.

The bit that will take you time is learning strategy, and that's just something you're going to have to pick up by playing games.

I think the beauty of the game is the simplicity, that means you don't have to worry about the rules and allows you to focus on strategy, and that's what makes games interesting.

James
2011 - Bought: quite a lot. Painted: a few.

James's blogs: Ork Deff Knight - Orks - Squats - Dreadball teams - Everything else

Return to “Kings of War”