Twighlight kin queries?

Discuss the game from Mantic here

Moderators: Lord Marcus, Baragash, Keepers of the Peace

dreadlord

Twighlight kin queries?

Postby dreadlord » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:16 pm

Hi all.

How do you interpret the rule for the hydra breath weapon. i.e. the rule seems to say that the more damage you accumulate the more attacks it gets? Or does it start off with 5 attacks, with 15 damage = 20 attacks, which seems like an awful lot but as it gets wounded it loses attacks. This might make up for it's lack of a breath weapon?

Also the dark lord on black dragon has the lightning bolt (5), is this instead of a breath attack. Seems unfair, sure it has extra range 24" compared to a 12" breath attack but the good elf dragon gets a breath 15 attack, a lot more potent...

Any hoo nice to be asking rules questions once again, takes me back to the old warhammer days lol..

Baragash
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

Re: Twighlight kin queries?

Postby Baragash » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:53 pm

Hydra - correct, but on average it will only reach 15 attacks total before it dies.

Lightning Bolt (5) is excellent, combined with being H4, the model is excellent for sniping characters, much better than the Elf one.
Mantic Kings of War & Warpath Rules Committee Member
"The Emperor is obviously not a dictator, he's a couch."
Starbuck: "Why can't we use the starboard launch bays?"
Engineer: "Because it's a gift shop!"

dreadlord

Postby dreadlord » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:37 pm

Cheers for info especially the sniping thing....

Lostcarpark

Postby Lostcarpark » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:29 am

This is one of my favourite rules in the whole games!

You have to know a little Greek mythology - for every head cut off, two grow in its place. As the previous poster said, with Ne of 15/17, it won't usually survive more than about 10 points of damage, but it's always possible it will take a massive amount of damage from a flank attack, roll a double 1 on it's nerve check, and have an insane number of attacks the next turn.

This sort of thing is why I love this game!

James
2011 - Bought: quite a lot. Painted: a few.

James's blogs: Ork Deff Knight - Orks - Squats - Dreadball teams - Everything else

Nibbles

Postby Nibbles » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:42 am

I like it too, that the chance for wacky incredible stuff is only slight, but is always there nevertheless. This leads to a greater number of enjoyable games than if the wacky OP thing would nearly always be present and could be counted on as a deliberate strategy.

When it's that reliable, the game starts to boil down to gimmicks that lead to instant wins on turn 1 or 2, and why would I bother spending countless hours preparing my miniatures for something that can be done in 15 minutes with a card deck instead.

For me, strengths of a miniature game lie in that it is NOT like a lighthearted CCG with instant win combo gimmicks, but a more realistic representation of a historic or fantastic battle. Instawins too often also turn your opponent into a bystander and deny him the opportunity to play a game, once again defeating the entire purpose why you set your stuff on the table in the first place.
I do respect your opinions even when I do not state so, we are all free to disagree and agree here. And I certainly do not assume that my ideas about the rules would be the only proper ones. We all have our own ways for playing these games and that is fine.

Return to “Kings of War”