KoW tournament experiences

Discuss the game from Mantic here

Moderators: Lord Marcus, Baragash, Keepers of the Peace

Nibbles
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

KoW tournament experiences

Postby Nibbles » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:11 pm

I participated in my first ever KoW tournament today.

I have to say that it was an awesome event and the armies were really well balanced, everyone found their appropriate level and final scoring was quite close, neither the people at the top nor those at the bottom had a bigger TP difference than five within their group. I think no one got 0 points repeatedly, could be that no one even got 0 points in any of their games at all.

Top three were Ratkin, Elves and Elves. The armies that could reliably shoot and then have strong melee units to finish off their weakened foes proved to be the powerhouses. In the middle there were Forces of the Abyss and Orcs.

Bottom three were my Undead, a Herd army and Kingdoms of Men(I played against The Orcs, The Herd and the Kingdoms of Men) It was a mini-tournament though since the miniature player community in Finland is so small. We had just eight players from the ten that initially signed up but could have had potentially up to twelve if the date had been suitable for everyone. This is a typical size for miniature tournaments here these days.

I lost the first two of the three games that were played, but they were still quite enjoyable and very fast; everyone got to finish all their turns even when the games stretched to seven turns long, with ample time for chatting and preparing for the next round.

I would rate it my best miniature tournament experience to date, despite not positioning very well. Back when I ended up with these kind of positions in Warhammer tournaments the games were usually miserable failures where one side had been completely overwhelming from start to finish. But now the victory hanged in the air for both sides during the various stages of the game, with heroic feats happening in every game no matter who lost and won in the end. It was fun all the way through.
Last edited by Nibbles on Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I do respect your opinions even when I do not state so, we are all free to disagree and agree here. And I certainly do not assume that my ideas about the rules would be the only proper ones. We all have our own ways for playing these games and that is fine.

Darklord

Re: KoW tournament experiences

Postby Darklord » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:20 pm

Glad you had such a good time! :)

Daniel.
Member of the Kings of War Rules Committee
UK Kings of War Champion

Nibbles

Postby Nibbles » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:04 pm

No one needed to go for 20-0 in order to win the tournament, either. That was always the lamest thing about Warhammer tournaments; you had to make others fail completely so that you'd win.
I do respect your opinions even when I do not state so, we are all free to disagree and agree here. And I certainly do not assume that my ideas about the rules would be the only proper ones. We all have our own ways for playing these games and that is fine.

Hofferber

Postby Hofferber » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:25 pm

Now, I'm knowing you managing KOW tournaments it's a new reason to think in a trip to Finland =D> of the other fistfull I have.
Mantic Pathfinder - Madrid (Spain) based.
Whatever you do, never leave witnesses

Nibbles

Postby Nibbles » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:27 am

Yeah, if/when you decide to come here, contact me with a PM. I'll tell you the scheduled gaming days and tournaments of the country, Google Translate is notoriously bad with our language and you aren't likely to find any useful information yourself.

BTW, this thread is a place for everyone to share their KoW tournament experiences. Both positive and negatives, it is always important to see things from all sides.

YorkshireKings

Postby YorkshireKings » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:52 am

I've only played in one, it was really good, can't wait for my next one.

Return to “Kings of War”