US Masters votes for Kings of War!

Discuss the game from Mantic here

Moderators: Lord Marcus, Baragash, Keepers of the Peace

johnbailey
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

US Masters votes for Kings of War!

Postby johnbailey » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:48 pm

Cheers! As some of the US folks in this venerable forum may know, I am presently serving a two year term as Chair of the Organizing Committee of the US Masters fantasy wargaming championships. The shift in direction of GW this summer required Masters to make a choice whether to continue playing Warhammer 8th edition, or to switch to another gaming system- be it AoS, Kings of War, one of the fan-made warhammers that are being worked on, or some other system.

Masters is, and always will be, a US fantasy wargaming championship system by gamers for gamers- a voluntary coming together of gamers from across the US to share our hobby. Each of the 8 regions of Masters voted their preference, the regional voting for which game system Masters will use for the upcoming season January 2016 through December 2016, culminating in the championship in February 2017 has closed today. The decisive winner was Kings of War by a regional vote of 7-1, with the one vote against a very close one within their own region.

Although I would have been happy as Chair to press forward with whatever game system the Regions came to a consensus on, I am most glad that it was such an overwhelming vote for a single system. Keeping this national community of gamers united is good for everybody, providing choice and community for gamers, helping bolster attendance in a time of unprecedented transition for TO's, it's win-win all the way around.

Now that a system has been chosen, the Regions can start talking with their player bases about Regional methods of team selection, as that is decided by each Region internally within the bounds of the Charter. For some Regions like South, little will change about the selection process since all GT's in the Region went 100% Kings of War, but for some it may be a little different so I urge all players to get active in the regional subforums of the Masters forum to stay informed. The names of all of the regional reps are stickied in this board, they are your first point of contact for questions about selection of regional teams. The Masters forum is at:

www.wargamersusa.com

Turning to Kings of War itself, while I would have thrown my whole heart and effort behind whatever system the Regions chose, there are some particular upsides to Kings of War and the game company behind it, Mantic Games. As folks in this subforum know, Mantic is a very accessible to its fans, and is very interested in and supportive of, a competitive scene for its games. Being openly embraced as competitive gamers by a game company is a great feeling. I have already had some very positive conversations with Mantic about developing a mutually beneficial relationship between Masters and Mantic moving forward, and should have some really interesting announcements to make in the near future as we look ahead to the Masters championship in Vegas in February. Since February is the culmination of the January 2015- December 2015 qualifying season it will still be warhammer 8th one last time.

The first of those announcements is that I will be running a small three game Kings of War event at US Masters Vegas 2016 on the Friday before the Masters event proper. Now that the vote is official, I can give Frontline the details so it can be added to the LVO list of events and will post them here. Mantic leadership will have a strong presence at LVO (and now at Masters), and so my thought was that a small event was a good way to look forward and get a small taste of what KoW might feel like on the Masters level as we all start to look ahead to the 2017 Championship weekend.

For more information about US Masters, that link again is:

www.wargamersusa.com

--
john bailey
Chair, US Masters Organizing Committee

Darklord

Re: US Masters votes for Kings of War!

Postby Darklord » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:10 pm

Great news, I hope everyone over there has as much playing KoW as I do. :)

Daniel.
Member of the Kings of War Rules Committee
UK Kings of War Champion

johnbailey

Postby johnbailey » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:13 pm

Thanks, Daniel! Maybe someday we can send our US Masters champ over to play in the UK Clash of Kings! Or a whole team! We are all very excited about the future over here. So many possibilities.

--
john

Darklord

Postby Darklord » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:30 pm

johnbailey wrote:Thanks, Daniel! Maybe someday we can send our US Masters champ over to play in the UK Clash of Kings! Or a whole team! We are all very excited about the future over here. So many possibilities.

--
john

I would LOVE that, I would also love to head over for a US tournie one day! :D

Daniel.
Member of the Kings of War Rules Committee
UK Kings of War Champion

Edroulfo
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Postby Edroulfo » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:45 am

=D> =D> =D>

Excellent decision!!
French Renaissance writer

The world is the expanding Greece and Greece is the shrinking world.

Captain Of Team Greece , ETC 2015.

silashand

Postby silashand » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:41 pm

Awesome! Nice to see the community rallying behind KoW.
Admin - Bugman's Brewery

"Stand up for what you believe in, even if it means standing alone." - Unknown
"Every man is guilty of all the good he didn't do." - Voltaire (1694-1778)
"Each day you must choose: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret." - Unknown

6 x 9 = 42

MillerXL

Postby MillerXL » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:08 am

Well that should wrap up all the nonsense games in the US then.

Good riddance.

DM Crew

Postby DM Crew » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:47 pm

My sincere congrats!!)) =D> =D>
2011- ETC Latvia DE player, MVP of the ETC (107 points; ESC 2011- 3rd place)
2012- ETC Latvia HE player
2013- ETC Russia DE player
2014- ETC Russia DE player (ESC 2014- 2nd place), ETC Best Painted Armies - Winners
2015- ETC Russia WE player (ESC 2015- 3rd place)
2016- ETC KoW AR member; ETC Russia KoW Captain (2nd place, yay!!)

Sir Robert

Postby Sir Robert » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:23 pm

Awesome. I think it's a much better system for competition. =D>
No One Can Escape Destiny: http://www.diredestiny.com
A tale of swords and magic in a land under threat.

BroxusMaximus

Postby BroxusMaximus » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:31 pm

So this will be referred to as the Kings of War masters? I don't think it should be called "US fantasy masters" since there is Age of Sigmar, WHFB 9th, and other fantasy game systems. This allows other systems to go there own way and make a clean break from those playing KoW.

Return to “Kings of War”