'Usual' points for pick up games?

Discuss the game from Mantic here

Moderators: Lord Marcus, Baragash, Keepers of the Peace

Dwarf Giant
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

'Usual' points for pick up games?

Postby Dwarf Giant » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:53 pm

Hi, I received my new rule book and have been trying to convert my Warhammer Army over to KoW. I have noticed that the recent/upcoming Clash of Kings tournament requires a 2500 point force. Is this the usual size? It seems like this makes for a rather large force. Most of my 2-3000 point Warhammer forces, when transferred over, are hitting around the 1500 mark.
Tris

Just suck it up and keep on punching.

Market feedback link: viewtopic.php?f=68&t=127286

Nibbles
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

Re: 'Usual' points for pick up games?

Postby Nibbles » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:03 pm

2500 point armies are massive in KoW. The games are still quite fast and suitable for tournament play. I guess that's the main point.

I've noticed as well that Warhammer armies shrink in points when transferred over. Proper grand armies in KoW would cost a fortune if built purely from Warhammer miniatures. They're much more affordable if built from Mantic miniatures, and I guess that's the main selling point for Mantic as well.

It's still much more tolerable than collecting GW armies as the armies in KoW can be built more slowly because games with lower point values are already great, Warhammer is not nearly as much fun with small armies.

I don't know about the usual sizes of tournament armies though, there aren't many KoW events in my country yet. So far, just one 1750p event of 2nd edition has popped up.
I do respect your opinions even when I do not state so, we are all free to disagree and agree here. And I certainly do not assume that my ideas about the rules would be the only proper ones. We all have our own ways for playing these games and that is fine.

Baragash

Postby Baragash » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:13 am

2000pts is the "standard" size insomuch as there is one. On a related note, there was an underlying 25% increase in points values across the board as everything was base-lined around a KoM Shieldwall costing 100pts, compared to it costing 80pts in 1st Ed. I think 1600pts was the "standard" size for 1st Ed so existing players shouldn't find themselves being put out and the barrier for entry hasn't changed for new players.
Mantic Kings of War & Warpath Rules Committee Member
"The Emperor is obviously not a dictator, he's a couch."
Starbuck: "Why can't we use the starboard launch bays?"
Engineer: "Because it's a gift shop!"

Nibbles

Postby Nibbles » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:32 pm

Yeah, that sounds fair indeed. I know I'm already going to buy a mega-army deal and some additional stuff at the end of the month, and really looking forward to collecting Abyssal Dwarfs. <3
I do respect your opinions even when I do not state so, we are all free to disagree and agree here. And I certainly do not assume that my ideas about the rules would be the only proper ones. We all have our own ways for playing these games and that is fine.

YorkshireKings

Postby YorkshireKings » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:30 am

2000pts seems to be a nice number, it's what all the cool kids are playing.

Darklord

Postby Darklord » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:19 am

Yeah 2K is standard, it is nice to break out larger sized games once in a while though. Tris, don't forget you can take 25% allies as needed to get you up to 2K.

Daniel.
Member of the Kings of War Rules Committee
UK Kings of War Champion

rudedog

Postby rudedog » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:49 am

I do 1,500 points for "teaching" games. After that we all enjoy 2,000 points for pick up games.

Every other month we have some guys who like to throw down 8,000 points for a Mega-clash.

Return to “Kings of War”