Swordmaster's KoW Battle Reports - 2000 vs Undead

Discuss the game from Mantic here

Moderators: Lord Marcus, Baragash, Keepers of the Peace

Nibbles
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

Re: Swordmaster's KoW Battle Reports - vs Basileans - 5.11

Postby Nibbles » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:58 pm

I think I said already that your army isn't from the stronger end at all, it's quite reasonable for an Elven army. Mine have been a lot cheesier and so were the ones I saw at that tournament. :)

Elves in general can be a frustrating and challenging enemy to a beginner who doesn't have the proper tools or the knowledge to use them. He needs to come up with a way that lets him charge at your units before his chargers take any damage or are charged themselves. Because this is what the Elves do, it is their game.

I might try to deploy in two lines, and then when your elves smash through the first line, they get charged by the second. This might be possible with some cheap Troops in the front, though they are vulnerable to getting routed by the Elven ranged attacks. If the Elves refuse to commit to charging the Troops in front, they get eventually charged by the Troops and soon after by the Regiments and Hordes that follow behind them.

If both sides don't have a Dragon Lord, maybe that could be taken off the Elven list too? Don't use any flyers at all in the Elven list and see what happens?
I do respect your opinions even when I do not state so, we are all free to disagree and agree here. And I certainly do not assume that my ideas about the rules would be the only proper ones. We all have our own ways for playing these games and that is fine.

Swordmaster
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Re: Swordmaster's KoW Battle Reports - vs Basileans - 5.11

Postby Swordmaster » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:52 pm

Hi guys,

Another report where OP Elves shoot out their opposition and finish the rest with their Elite strikes :P

Battle 7 (12/11/2015) - 2000 vs. Forces of Abyss

Cheers!
Blog: Path of an Outcast

Follow me @SwordOfHoeth

Battle Log with shortcuts to Battle Reports: HE MSU
Article on HE MSU: HE MSU - Observations
Rate my Battle Reports at: Sigmar's Fantasy Battles

Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?

Nibbles

Re: Swordmaster's KoW Battle Reports - Forces of Abyss - 12.11

Postby Nibbles » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:29 pm

Yeah I think you need to learn how to roll 2's and 3's with your bolt throwers, I've found this to be a nice way to balance the Elven shooting. :)
I do respect your opinions even when I do not state so, we are all free to disagree and agree here. And I certainly do not assume that my ideas about the rules would be the only proper ones. We all have our own ways for playing these games and that is fine.

Swordmaster

Postby Swordmaster » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:46 pm

I was actually doing that for Bane Chant so yes, I can! :)

Follow me @SwordOfHoeth

Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?

Swordmaster

Postby Swordmaster » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:25 pm

Hi guys,

A new report for you, this time a rematch against Forces of Abyss:

Battle 8 (19/11/2015) - 2000 vs. Forces of Abyss

Cheers!

Follow me @SwordOfHoeth

Nibbles

Re: Swordmaster's KoW Battle Reports - Forces of Abyss - 19.11

Postby Nibbles » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:37 pm

Well done! I knew you could lose with your lists too, you just had to find this power within you, young champion. =D>

EB has probably found new vigour for the hobby as well, so the result was actually win-win.

Swordmaster

Postby Swordmaster » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:08 pm

It was definitely win-win situation :) While it was pretty embarrassing to leave Drakon Lord for a charge like that, the whole game was really packed with action and we punched each other heavily. Now wonder only so few units were left standing.

I am glad EB got his well deserved victory and I am sure it is just the beginning of a longer streak of matches to come. Hopefully, even more entertaining to read about!

Cheers!

Follow me @SwordOfHoeth

Swordmaster

Postby Swordmaster » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:52 pm

Hi guys,

This time my Elves faced Slamanders led by Mr. laridbold from this very forum!

Battle 9 (27/11/2015) - 2000 vs. Salamanders

Although the shooting had some impact I think this time it was mainly decided in melee!

Thanks for reading!

Follow me @SwordOfHoeth

Nibbles

Re: Swordmaster's KoW Battle Reports - Salamanders - 27.11

Postby Nibbles » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:14 pm

I've seen people saying the Salamanders aren't a top tier army, this report seems to corroborate that. I think you should start fighting Ratmen, they're a more appropriate foe for the Elves.

Swordmaster

Postby Swordmaster » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:08 pm

Hi Nibbles,

I think such far reaching conclusion is premature. This was the game between two players with very limited experience. The report also shows where my opponent made mistakes that cost him the game. Last but not least I don't think it is logical to draw a conclusion like that after a single game :)

Finally, I would not really bother with listening to such opinions anyway. The Salamanders in particular but many armies in general are official for a very short time and Beta versions were not around for that long anyway.

As to opponents I will do my best to organize games with as great variety of armies as possible.

Cheers!

Follow me @SwordOfHoeth

Swordmaster

Postby Swordmaster » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:41 pm

Hello,

Round 3 against EB and his Forces of Abyss in Loot scenario:

Battle 10 (05/12/2015) - 2000 vs. Forces of Abyss

Cheers!
Last edited by Swordmaster on Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Follow me @SwordOfHoeth

Nibbles

Re: Swordmaster's KoW Battle Reports - Forces of Abyss - 5.12

Postby Nibbles » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:58 pm

Link is not clickable. :?

That sure was a fast & furious game though, you guys really had some unlikely rolls there which ended things prematurely, so it wasn't so much about an uneven match-up.

Anyways, fight Ratmen next! I really want to see how that goes. :)

Swordmaster

Postby Swordmaster » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:47 pm

Link fixed, should work now.

I don't think it would be uneven match up anyway :-P

Well, can't promise Ratmen yet. But it would be nice to have a game against each and every army out there for sure!

Follow me @SwordOfHoeth

Nibbles

Postby Nibbles » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:15 pm

The reason why I'm so keen on seeing you fight Ratmen is that they also have Speed 6 infantry and ranged units that hit on 4+. It doesn't get much more even from that, unless you fight other Elves but that'd be somewhat boring.

Swordmaster

Postby Swordmaster » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:40 pm

I actually hope to have a game against another Elven army because (and that was the same with Warhammer) I have not seen any other force that is even close to mine in terms of composition. And since Elves are apparently Space Marines of KoW then I better learn how to fight against these shooting/flying hordes too! :)

Game against Ratkin would be interesting for me simply because they look so different on paper than Elves. And they usually have so many hordes!

Follow me @SwordOfHoeth

Nibbles

Postby Nibbles » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:41 pm

Space Marines are more like the most marketable army in 40k, they're not the actual epitome of overpoweredness except in mano a mano comparisons. I'd compare KoW Elves to something in 40k which moves faster & has more firepower than anyone else, if there's such an army in that game these days. I know that Eldar used to be like that in several editions, but I haven't kept my eye on the most recent one(every now and then there's such a wail in the wind though).

Ratkin definitely have lots of unique stuff in their army which does give them a different look, but the most important thing is that they can play on the same level as the Elves. They can face Elves and not automatically be the underdog. When I faced Ratmen with my Elves, I did find their best shooters(the long rifle things with large shields) quite hard to shift and did in fact lose my heavy cavalry before they could play a role in the battle. If I hadn't had such absurd luck elsewhere(archer regiment routing a horde of rat ogres in one round, Treeman regenerating like 15 points of damage in a couple of turns) and the Ratmen player had deployed more carefully, I could have easily lost the game.

Swordmaster

Postby Swordmaster » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:38 pm

In comparing Elves to Space Marines I was referring to one of the most recent podcasts by Four Foot Snake guys who used that in their title. :)

I can't really discuss Ratkin as I haven't even studied their list much. I have observed a few games briefly only, not enough to form any opinion. Hence, I cannot comment on yours about Elves not automatically making another army an underdog in the case of Ratkin. But I see you really like coming back to your approach that match ups, not players, determine the outcome of the game. :-P

Follow me @SwordOfHoeth

Nibbles

Postby Nibbles » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:00 pm

Oh, the outcome isn't purely determined by match-ups in KoW. If you have a slower army which shoots less accurately as well, you are merely the underdog. Being the underdog doesn't mean you will automatically lose. It's a game of dice and skill after all.

I just enjoy games where neither side is the underdog a lot more. :)

Swordmaster

Postby Swordmaster » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:34 pm

I got used to be an underdog all the time :P

Follow me @SwordOfHoeth

Nibbles

Postby Nibbles » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:34 pm

Swordmaster wrote:I got used to be an underdog all the time :P

Yes, and now you're not, since you play with an Elven army. Oh how the tables have turned. :)

Swordmaster

Postby Swordmaster » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:03 pm

yes, you can never please the people. Before they complained I played against not experienced players now no matter what I do it will be thanks to the OP army. Ah well :-P

Follow me @SwordOfHoeth

Swordmaster

Postby Swordmaster » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:57 pm

Hello!

Round 3 of the rivalry games between Forces of Basilea and Elves:

Battle 11 (18/12/2015) - 2000 vs. Forces of Basilea

Thanks for reading!

Follow me @SwordOfHoeth

Nibbles

Postby Nibbles » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:56 pm

Yeah, I can see how this one ended up being less bloody due to both of you hesitating to commit and making those deployment mistakes. The terrain seemed quite tricky in this one, cutting off units from influencing the main fight at the objective. Basileans should have perhaps advanced there in columns instead of using a wide front.

Let's hope you get to fight against those ratmen soon, or else I have to learn how to use UB myself. :wink:

Still waiting for my UE book though, it did not get sent early enough to avoid the Christmas rush so it'll still take a week or two... :(

Ps. the reason I keep posting here instead of the actual report thread is that the report thread is not tablet friendly, too many pictures to load on one page...

Swordmaster

Postby Swordmaster » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:12 pm

Hi guys,

It's been a while but here is a link to my most recent report:

Battle 12 (26/01/2016) - 2000 vs. Abyssal Dwarfs

Enjoy!

Follow me @SwordOfHoeth

Nibbles

Re: Swordmaster's KoW Battle Reports - Abyssal Dwarfs - 26.01

Postby Nibbles » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:41 am

Another quite close game, I'm sure you could have lost this one if it weren't for those Abyssal dice rolls.

Do try to get that game against a Speed 6 army, though. :smt064

I'm thinking of trying my old Ogre army next, a Legion of Warriors with the Fog magic item could be troublesome for Elves too.

Swordmaster

Postby Swordmaster » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:15 pm

Yeap, I decided that playing with over powered army is not enough and I need to have the aid of loaded dice :lol: #-o

Follow me @SwordOfHoeth

Swordmaster

Postby Swordmaster » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:43 pm

Hello,

Here is a most recent report against laribold and his Brotherhood of Dobrensk, the army of Knights represented by old school Kislev miniatures in real life:

Battle 13 (31/01/2016) - 2000 vs. Brotherhood

Thanks for reading!

Follow me @SwordOfHoeth

wardancer

Re: Swordmaster's KoW Battle Reports - Brotherhood - 31.01

Postby wardancer » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:59 pm

I finally got to read that report, great work putting it together bro and yet another win with cheesy elves ;) But honestly, well played and laribold is obviously still looking for the army he likes most (oh how I know the feeling :) )

Swordmaster

Postby Swordmaster » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:40 am

Thanks!

You might be interested in laribold's assessment of the situation which he posted here:

http://vb.manticforum.com/forum/kings-o ... orts/page8

I also know he is going to add allied contingent of some mounted troops from Kingdom of Men to have fast cavalry that shoots.

Follow me @SwordOfHoeth

Swordmaster

Postby Swordmaster » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:24 am

Greetings,

The most recent battle report can be found here:

Battle 14 (13/03/2016) - 2000 vs. Dwarfs

Thanks!

Follow me @SwordOfHoeth

Return to “Kings of War”