++ Getting Started with Kings of War ++

Discuss the game from Mantic here

Moderators: Lord Marcus, Baragash, Keepers of the Peace

Gaz Taylor
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

++ Getting Started with Kings of War ++

Postby Gaz Taylor » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:07 am

Thought I would add a stickie to help people migrating over to Kings of War. A free/starter copy of the rules can be found on the Mantic Games Website or you can click on THIS LINK. Models can be brought from Mantic Games or from any indie retailer (such as the Forum Sponsors).

Also Lord Marcus who is a Mantic Games Pathfinder, has posted some helpful tips below......

Lord Marcus wrote:
1. Remember characters are not one man death machines for units. they are powerful support units in and of themselves. i found this out using a vampire lord for the first time with my undead.

2. Remember the stat lines represent units, not individual models. Nerve is not wounds, although it may seem like it. I guess it's easier if you've had a taste of some historical rules like i did, but nerve represents the units will to fight on, not how many individual guys are left. hence no removing models (This is also easy to get over, despite the misconception that it is not. it takes a few games to get used to removing units instead of models individually.

3. Furthermore, the turn and combat system will be odd for the first game or so, due to each turn being self contained. specifically i reference the melee combat section, as the opposing player does nothing, which will seem odd for those used to taking armor saves. The way I explain this in my demo's is that by dealing wounds, and thus getting through your toughness value, my warriors blades are going through the armor, finding weak spots, etc, hence no need for an additional saving roll. The ebb and flow of the battle lines is mirrored by the 1" pushback after combat.

4. Maneuver and movement are key. Again, characters are not mega cannons to bull rush in and tear faces off. set up flank and rear charges, and think tactically.

5. finally, do not try timed games the first few times around. get used to the basics of movement, fighting, and unit management before you try a timed game. BUT DO TRY THEM! They add an element of pressure to the game and force you to make tactical decisions on the fly.

You can also have a look at the following thread by Lord Marcus which may answer any other questions you have - LINK

Baragash

Re: ++ Getting Started with Kings of War ++

Postby Baragash » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:22 am

I am also around most days if people have questions ;)
Mantic Kings of War & Warpath Rules Committee Member
"The Emperor is obviously not a dictator, he's a couch."
Starbuck: "Why can't we use the starboard launch bays?"
Engineer: "Because it's a gift shop!"

Sir Robert
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Postby Sir Robert » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:01 pm

Many thanks to Gaz and Marcus! =D>
No One Can Escape Destiny: http://www.diredestiny.com
A tale of swords and magic in a land under threat.

Lord Marcus

Postby Lord Marcus » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:37 pm

Gaz could you please link my Ask Me Anything thread into your original post?

Gaz Taylor

Postby Gaz Taylor » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:31 am

Lord Marcus wrote:Gaz could you please link my Ask Me Anything thread into your original post?

done!

If you want me to add any more tips or a FAQ just let me know ;)

Swordmaster
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Postby Swordmaster » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:24 am

Hi Gaz,

I was looking for resources to get to know more about KoW and compiled some of them for my fellow HE players at Ulthuan.net. I think the things I found might be useful for new players like myself so here is the link to the topic I started:

http://45.40.135.47/~ulthuan/forum/view ... 0104e512ff

Feel free to add any of the links I provided to your main post for better reference if you like them!

Cheers!
Blog: Path of an Outcast

Follow me @SwordOfHoeth

Battle Log with shortcuts to Battle Reports: HE MSU
Article on HE MSU: HE MSU - Observations
Rate my Battle Reports at: Sigmar's Fantasy Battles

Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?

Return to “Kings of War”