OpenHammer

This is for rules development, house rules and the like

Moderator: Keepers of the Peace

Guazza
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

OpenHammer

Postby Guazza » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:36 pm

Hi everybody. As already spoilered in the topic for the future of ETC gaming we have already been developing something interesting under the name of:

OpenHammer project

One evening about 1,5 year ago one old friend and long-time player shared with me an idea of a new era for our favorite game, where there would be no GW to write rules to sell the latest miniatures to the biggest market slice but a community of players self-governing itself. We got straight through it and understood that a rulebook would be the necessary base to start with but no more than one milestone in the project.
We made a poll on what the national players community thought that would be the best things to have in a 9th edition, got hundreds of answers back and started working on them with the key experience of a person involved in GW game designer's and testers team. The base has been the 8th edition but we brought in many fixes, improvements and ideas from older editions and other strategic/fantasy games. The first version of OpenHammer rulebook came out close by the end of 2014. Some players started using it, some more did when we completed the Compendium (something like Ravening Hordes for 6th editions, with all armies packed in with the intent of letting everyone play his favorite) in April 2015.

Since then we have been improving it and listening to the players feedback and we are now translating it into English in order to have everyone trying it and producing feedback to improve. We are contacting the Swedish guys with their new idea to team up with them and improve and we'd love to present our whole project to the ETC community in Prague, whose deep involvement would probably be a huge benefit for everyone.

Like you may think about its name, OpenHammer intent is to be a project open to everybody's contribution, not thought to make profits but to make us players take the drive of our favourite hobby and use the miniatures the producers (not only GW) will delight us with in balanced games where luck counts less and strategy is again the key.

If you want to have a glance to our vision please have a look to the following Manifesto, bearing in mind that also this is open to comments and contributions:

http://www.openhammer.org/Openhammer%20 ... 8EN%29.pdf

As promised earlier, there it is a link to the freshly translated version of the Rulebook

http://www.openhammer.org/OPENHAMMER%20 ... lebook.pdf

We'll be working also to translate the already playtested Compendium in time for the ETC, which contains:
- special rules
- weapons, armors and other equipment
- common magic items
- spells
- prayers
... and ...
- 18 armies rulesets including all GW and Mantic models (yes, we're working on the AoS models rules as well)

We also are approaching to launch the project on Kickstarter and would like to stay open as now to suggestions, material proposals (especially the swedish guys from the "ninth" topic) in order to make all this mature and go mainstream. Have a nice reading ;)

MightyM00se

Re: OpenHammer

Postby MightyM00se » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:41 am

I can only see this being shut down as Ip infringement.

Jesterhead

Postby Jesterhead » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:02 am

MightyM00se wrote:I can only see this being shut down as Ip infringement.

why?

everything is under Creative Commons, it is not infringing the Ip at all... or at least not more than KoW is doing, or any other attempt to make a new edition of the game... don't you think?

valourunbound

Postby valourunbound » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:25 am

Is there a forum where I can post feedback on these rules? All I have found is a facebook page...

Jesterhead

Postby Jesterhead » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:06 am

valourunbound wrote:Is there a forum where I can post feedback on these rules? All I have found is a facebook page...

Hi!

yes we are building the website, if you want to send us some comments you can use

1) email addresses: andrea.ninni83@gmail.com, fabio.guasconi@gmail.com

2) post on the FB page or send a PM to me or to the user "Guazza"

Thanks a lot for your attention!

Cheers from Florence!

blackfang

Postby blackfang » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:09 pm

The slideshow was promising, but the rulebook doesn't deliver anything promised. The layout and bad English make it barely legible and it looks like even more of a convoluted mess than WHFB was. It's just another layer of band-aids on a system that is already 90% band-aids on top of a bad RPG game from the 90s that barely even worked then.

crikeymiles

Postby crikeymiles » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:51 pm

blackfang wrote:90% band-aids on top of a bad RPG game from the 90s that barely even worked then.

A thousand times this. =D>

Return to “The Workshop”