This is for rules development, house rules and the like

Moderator: Keepers of the Peace

Pellegrim
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

7 questions on your ideal fantasy game

Postby Pellegrim » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:05 pm

Hello guys,

I'm from Bugmans and we are in the process of orientating ourselfs on what to do next. AoS is what it is, KoW seems a bit flat, and apart from that, there are bunch of initiatives, of which most are not finished yet. So will we play 8th? We do have a chance to look further now.

We are frequently discussion what our ideal next game would look like - and the discussion is very interesting and valuable so far.

That is why we like to ask you all to answer the following 7 questions, about how your ideal war game would be positioned.

Thanks many in advance! I'll update the results of votes often - so you get a feel of the general consensus. I can share some interesting results from Bugman, but I'll hold on to those untill I get some replies :wink: .

1. Warhammer 8th has the right complexity…?
I like way more complexity, think 3rd edition [ 1 . . . (5 = perfect) . . . . 10 ] I like the Age of Sigmar rules

2. To compose an army for a fantasy battle, I would like:
Free choices to combine everything I want [ 1 . . . . . . . . 10 ] to choose from one of the current 8th army books

3. The current combat system is:
A bit too simple, I would like more options in combat [ 1 . . . (5 = perfect) . . . . 10 ] too slow, I would like a more dynamic combat system

4. The general balance of the 8th edition is
Broken as hell [ 1 . . . (5 = perfect) . . . . 10 ] so balanced it is all about skill

5. The rules should be
Simple and without any chance of misinterpretation [ 1 . . . (5 = perfect) . . . . 10 ] just cool and like an actual battle, I’m not concerned with interpretation at all.

6. If I can choose, the ruleset would be
Exactly like GW’s 8th edition [ 1 . . . (5 = a mixture of GW’s rules combined with players rules) . . . . 10 ] completely independent and open source (with committee that produces errata etc.)

7. If I can choose, a battle would have
a standard battle line set-up. Always. [ 1 . . . . . . . 10 ] specific story-driven goals and objectives, that would influence the results

Maetco

Re: 7 questions on your ideal fantasy game

Postby Maetco » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:58 pm

1: 3

I don't mind complexity if that means depth as long as the rules are consistent and it's easy to find what the rules say about a situation.

2: 10

But I really feel that some ABs should be combined. Mainly this means Chaos factions but probably also Undead.

3: 3

A friend of mine constantly compains how WFB has become a game of Tetris. Even though I don't fully concur I still feel engaging and CC should be more "realistic".

4: 4

The problems lie mainly in the fact that certain factions have way too underpowered ABs. Also the fact that certain faction don't play well against each other brings some problems.

5: 4

They should be cool in the sense that this is about simulating ridiculous fantasy massacres between beloved factions but the most important rule for rules is that they exist and the second most important rule for rules is that they are clear. I don't mind complexity I just want the rules to be clear so we can use RAW instead of trying to figure out what RAI we "should" be using.

6: ?

From the editions I have tried (6 - 8) the 8th is my favourite as a whole without a doubt. But it still contains several just blatantly stupid rules (such as disrupting doesn't prevent Steadfast from ranks) and tons of unclear or even totally missing rules. -> I think they should be improved to some degree. How much depends totally on the quality of work.

7: 4

This should be decided case by case. I like playing standard matches as the majority of my battles but objective based matches bring nice variety to the mix.

Pellegrim

Postby Pellegrim » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:35 pm

Thanks Maetco (familiar name - Bugmans?) - as soon I have 5 answers I'll add them to the collection and throw on some stats :)

chocmushroom

Postby chocmushroom » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:40 pm

I think it would be good if you know where people who respond to this come from, so...
I started WHFB in 1988/89 (I started with GW in September 88, not sure when I started WHFB)
I did take many years out of the game, but never did I rage quit I just had other live things to do when I went to uni. I have been back now for four years.
I play in a friendly club and have never had a proper tournament game. This means I don't face games of net-list power, but loads of fun and silly.

So, my response

1. complexity… 4
Not to be more complex, but a few more rules would be good (say if spears had +1Str on charge when mounted, and give ASF on troops 'if they did not more the previous turn' and changing facing and up to one rank does not count as moving)

2. Compose an army.. 8
Allies is OK, but not free range to choose anything, allies scrolls would be great.

3. Current combat system is: 5
I love step-up and fight in ranks, it makes the game a proper battle between troops.

4. Balance : 4
I think some thing are under (Beast of Nurgle) or over-costed (Ushabti), but balance is not to bad (Remember I play friendly games)

5. The rules should be: 4
More precise rules means fewer disagreements.

6. If I can choose, the ruleset would be:5

7. If I can choose, a battle would have: 7
Just played in a mini league, and the way the game/points were done made it fun. We could both see I had won the game by turn 4, but he saw he could gain points by killing my monster, and it was fun for two turns me running away and hiding, with him chasing me and shooting.

Maetco

Postby Maetco » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:59 pm

Pellegrim wrote:Thanks Maetco (familiar name - Bugmans?) - as soon I have 5 answers I'll add them to the collection and throw on some stats :)

Yeah, I'm one of Bugman's beardlings. Sad to see that after two weeks there is only 1 post in addition to mine.

matthcnet

Postby matthcnet » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:44 am

1. Warhammer 8th has the right complexity…?
I like way more complexity, think 3rd edition [ 1 . . . (5 = perfect) . . . . 10 ] I like the Age of Sigmar rules

Right now as a system it's probably okay. But can the system be vastly improved? yes
I'll have to ask for low complexity as a goal. I might be just mincing words but what I want is lots of variety and tactical depth.
But for each tactic, or rule I choose or look at. I want it to be very simple and easy to understand.

2. To compose an army for a fantasy battle, I would like:
Free choices to combine everything I want [ 1 . . . . . . . . 10 ] to choose from one of the current 8th army books

When building a competitive and balanced army, I want every single unit to be a valid choice contributing to winning based on strategy of the army.

3. The current combat system is:
A bit too simple, I would like more options in combat [ 1 . . . (5 = perfect) . . . . 10 ] too slow, I would like a more dynamic combat system

The current system is probably fine the way it is, but needs refining and polishing a bit to balance it out, making it more even and fair.
Dynamics are good, but probably are more relevant to model and unit types and their uses. Less to do with how melee works.

4. The general balance of the 8th edition is
Broken as hell [ 1 . . . (5 = perfect) . . . . 10 ] so balanced it is all about skill

3. Very broken, very easy to get advantage and abuse rules and armies and characters.

5. The rules should be
Simple and without any chance of misinterpretation [ 1 . . . (5 = perfect) . . . . 10 ] just cool and like an actual battle, I’m not concerned with interpretation at all.

Where are they now? About 3 = hard to understand.
Where they should be? around 7-8. There should be enough rules that as a whole it will never be 10.
But each individual rule should be easily understood by a 12 yr old.

6. If I can choose, the ruleset would be
Exactly like GW’s 8th edition [ 1 . . . (5 = a mixture of GW’s rules combined with players rules) . . . . 10 ] completely independent and open source (with committee that produces errata etc.)

I'd pick a middle ground between 6th/7th/8th/WCE/9th age/ Furions 9th ed.
Pick the simplicity and balance of each one, and the tactical depth of each one.
And then add some outside changes that none of them have, like change the magic lores so they appear more like themed and
specific lores that don't copy paste effects from other lores.

7. If I can choose, a battle would have
a standard battle line set-up. Always. [ 1 . . . . . . . 10 ] specific story-driven goals and objectives, that would influence the results

Scenarios and objectives make the game much more interesting, but a simple battle line should always be an option.
Accumulated community suggestions and rules projects in one place.
Typed up WFB magic lores and sorted by spell type for reference.
Add comments like and subscribe! Or just comments and critiques and suggestions.
http://wiki.9th-edition.org/spacedirectory/view.action

zedeyejoe

Postby zedeyejoe » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:47 pm

6th edition WHFB was the one for me. I think I started [bip] about WHFB about the time 7th came in.

jonathanadamskaven

Postby jonathanadamskaven » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:08 pm

I really liked 6th edition (even though high elves were under powered)
with a mix of 8th (Not the Magic)

zedeyejoe wrote:6th edition WHFB was the one for me. I think I started [bip] about WHFB about the time 7th came in.
Hamilton Howlers

Feedback for me

Feedback as of 2016: WingWong, baza, Orky,Barundin Thunderhammer

Return to “The Workshop”