---- An Age of Sigmar rules topic

This is for rules development, house rules and the like

Moderator: Keepers of the Peace

The Nick
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

---- An Age of Sigmar rules topic

Postby The Nick » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:11 pm

Primarily for discussion and storage of rules stuff for AoS, with a focus on adding more to it (not 'fixing' or 'changing' or 'complaining about it'). So "here's some rules for buildings?" is ok, "here's a way to do a tournament with rules for what you can bring: X scrolls, Y number of Monsters, Z special things, rules for deployment and scenarios, etc.", but not "Game is broken fix how armies work waa".

Things I'd like to see:

• Terrain rules. Something simple and fast
  • Building rules. Something simple and fast.
  • Scenarios?
  • Variations?
  • Retro-Hammer (playing AoS in a way that is 'as close as possible' to 8th)
Sleboda wrote:POOPOOPOOP

The Nick

Re: ---- An Age of Sigmar rules topic

Postby The Nick » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:12 pm

Reserved #1 for summaries

The Nick

Postby The Nick » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:14 pm

Reserved #2

The Nick

Postby The Nick » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:15 pm

Reserved #3

The Nick

Postby The Nick » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:35 pm

Playing 8th Edition Style Games Out of the box

• Some sort of very simple point system might be needed.

You can probably grab a majority of model costs by...

All things that rank up in 5s? Unit cost for one model.
    All Characters, Monsters, "Weird stuff", etc? Divide by ten.
    Stuff that ranks in 3s? Total cost, divide by ten.

Monstrous Infantry is hard because you might take an individual or very small amount of them OR really go deep and hoard them, depending on your situation.

Either way, it's probably easier to say 'get a good army list that you and your opponent both agree on.'
  • An addendum to the above rule - if a player thinks an army is overpowered, switch sides. That'll conclusively prove who the better player is and prevent stacking the list. This is probably a good rule for AoS if somebody is actually concerned with the game not being balanced.
  • Movement Rules - deploy your troops in blocks. Move as normal, with wheeling. Reform before or after a turn (or both). To determine reforming movement, take the distance from 1) the old formation's point furthest from the center point to 2) the closest model in the new formation.
  • Charging into combat - normal rules.
  • Convert melee inches range to the number of supporting attacks you can make - 1"? One extra rank. 2"? Two extra ranks.
  • Instead of 'piling in', you can you can 'combat reform'. Take models from the back and spread your frontage out to be wider. If your frontage is longer than the enemy's frontage by more than two 'base sizes' of your models, you count as a horde. (For example, if our units are five wide and I reform my unit of to be eight wide, I get an extra rank of attacks).

Monstrous size infantry only need to be more than one 'base size' of models wider.
  • You can just 'simulate' old combat in the rules by always choosing the combat that was just done. I pick my unit here to attack and you pick the recipient to attack.

(As an optional rule, you can rule that all combats happen simultaneously, but that's probably a bad idea.)
  • Characters
    Characters are generally stronger and units seem to be bigger. You probably shouldn't have a "Look Out, Sir!" rule, but if you must...

Characters move independently of units, but you can count being in contact with any units with five or more models of the same 'size' (so no infantry characters near cavalry and monsters) as being commanded by the unit. Any wounds inflicted on the character can be rolled off as d3 mortal wounds on the unit on a 5+ "Look Out Sir".

The best thing about these rules is that (with the exception of the stuff I marked as 'I don't like it'), you literally can do these things straight out of the AoS box with an opponent with a similar mind-set looking for a similar experience. I move all my models around on movement trays and only split them up when I have a specific reason, like blocking a zone. With templates no longer being a thing, you don't have to worry about your formation except during movement and charging, so you can just move as a reaction to issues that pop up when it happens.

And really, if both players are agreeing to just limit themselves to big blocks of troops, you can just stay in your formations.

Return to “The Workshop”