And They Shall Know Some Fear

This is for rules development, house rules and the like

Moderator: Keepers of the Peace

BigBoss89
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

And They Shall Know Some Fear

Postby BigBoss89 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:24 pm

I've been going through the And They Shall Know No Fear special rule in 40K and have come to the
understanding that it is a bit "op" (not the worst thing in the game by far but hey).

This is how I wish And They Shall Know No Fear would work.

"A unit that contains at least one model with this special rule may re-roll failed Fear, Regroup and Moral checks. Furthermore, a unit that successfully makes its Regroup test does not make a 3" Regroup move, but can instead move, shot (or Run) and declare charges as per normal in that turn".

Here in lies my reasoning(s) for the changes:

1) Auto-passing Fear Test with this special rule have made the Fear special rule obsolete. Almost 45-50% of all 40K armies are a variant of Space Marine with And They Shall Know No Fear and with it Fear has no effect on 45-50% of all match-ups.

2) I want there to be a distinct difference between And They Shall Know No Fear and Fearless special rule. Each has their strong point and each have their weak spot. Fearless auto-pass Moral and Fear (and Pinning) but you cannot Go To Ground volentarily and you cannot declare Our Weapons Are Useless. Where as And They Shall Know No Fear models may still Go To Ground and use Our Weapons Are Useless but must still roll for Fear and Moral (albeit with a re-roll).

3) To continue from point Nr2, And They Shall Know No Fear and Fearless seems (at least to me) be two different sets of ideas in the fluff of the 40K lore. One focuses on upholding a "Doctorine Code" of bravery and stoicism and the other a more "mindless" notion that either bases on nihilistic views that "life is meaningless, so why fear death" or just in general mindless-ness of the idea of life and death at all (more focus on the Tyranids' view on Fearless special rule). One is trained and maintained whilst the other sort of comes naturally though idiology or genetics.

4) Space Marines (of loyalist nature) can now be slain from Sweeping Advances. That's right, you no longer just continue fighting if your opponent catches up with you, you now get swept away much like your non-Fearless Chaos Space Marine counterparts.

5) This adds more depth into taking Veteran Srg and Chaplains in your army. Ld:9 is pretty snuffed at as a boost for Space Marines now (simply because win or lose, you just keep on fighting). But now all boosts you can grant to your units Ld-value is a blessing in themselves. Re-roll Ld8 is not the same as re-roll Ld9. Take -2 Ld penalty and it's re-roll Ld7 instead of Ld6. This truely matters.
And a Chaplain's Zealot will grant so much more then just Hatred attack in CC. You now skip the Ld test all together; but trade into the fact that you cannot Go To Ground or use Our Weapons Are Useless special rules.
To further add to the fluff, Chapter Masters (and their likeness in other S.M based books) will most likely have Stubborn special rule or even that Banners/Standards will grant Stubborn special rule instead of the re-roll; which they now get from And They Shall Know No Fear special rule.

6) Make a note that they re-roll ALL failed Moral checks. Even those that inflict damage from say Psychic test(s). (This aims to show their endurance to stave the touch of the warp). And seeing as Pinning tests count towards Moral Checks you would get to re-roll failed Pinning test(s) as well.
Last edited by BigBoss89 on Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigBoss89
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

Re: And They Shall Know Some Fear

Postby BigBoss89 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:39 pm

So lets summarize the changes:

(+)

You get to re-roll Psychic tests that do damage with Ld-tests (E.I. Psychic Shriek and such).

You get to re-roll failed Pinning tests (which would make you use your BS value more then risk Snap Shots).

Makes you pass Close Combat and "25% Casualties" Moral Check(s) more likely.

Banners/Standards (if changed this way) will have greater impact on the game at large. And will do well in combo with the And They Shall Know No Fear special rule. (Stubborn Ld8-10 with Re-roll).

(-)

No longer "auto-pass" Fear tests.

No longer "auto-pass" Regroup tests.

Your unit(s) can now be slain due to Sweeping Advance (However, fleeing in the first place will be a rarity to see).

So, lend me your views, cuz I'd love to hear them :)

Return to “The Workshop”