Allowing bearer to select a weapon (WHFB)

This is for rules development, house rules and the like

Moderator: Keepers of the Peace

leopard
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

Allowing bearer to select a weapon (WHFB)

Postby leopard » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:03 pm

Wondering on putting back in the ability to always use a hand weapon.

Perhaps alongside the "I'm using this one" rule on magical weapons in that a rule "Ok we'll do this the hard way" allowing using a non magical weapon, bought and paid for, in the second round onwards (but with no ability to swap back until the combat has ended).

Ideally you should be able to have the old system of always being able to just use the hand weapon, but with the HW&S parry save I sort of see why its gone, just wondering on characters the ability to actually notice the magical weapon or other special weapon isn't working and do something about it - at a cost of not being able to do it in the first round as you need to 'see' the shiny toy isn't the right choice?
Janco Toys - Barnsley
Milton Keynes Wargaming Society - Stony Stratford

Quicker by Tube
http://www.aleopardstail.com/

The Nick
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

Re: Allowing bearer to select a weapon (WHFB)

Postby The Nick » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:55 am

I like the intention of the rule - trying to streamline weapon choice so there is always a single weapon that will always be used (this prevents that awkward moment where your unit that has always used its great weapons or halberds is attacked and suffers an unusually high amount of wounds and you state, "Oh, by the way, I forgot to declare I'm using hand weapon and shield this round.")

Unfortunately, it cuts out on some of the tactical choices and it makes some of your units pretty dumb, i.e. "I paid 100 points for a magic weapon that doesn't work against some units, but I'll keep hacking away instead of switching to something that'll work!"

Just dumb.
Sleboda wrote:POOPOOPOOP

Return to “The Workshop”