Designing New Spell Lores (Warhammer Fantasy)

This is for rules development, house rules and the like

Moderator: Keepers of the Peace

Grim Squeaker
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Designing New Spell Lores (Warhammer Fantasy)

Postby Grim Squeaker » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:40 pm

I'm planning on updating (almost done) my Norse book (Norse Tribes) and would really like to include Lore of Ice. I have also updated my Seidar lore where I tried to be a little inventive and innovative. But, I need some feedback on how I can improve the lores, things I missed rules-wise or over/under-powered spell combinations. Don't read too much into the casting values, they are gonna be play tested anyway.

Here is the basic ideas of the lores: (sectioned into three different prioritizes: Focus, main ability, secondary ability).

Lore of the Old Seidar:
Focus: Forecasting and spirit magic - augmented/hex combination where both are based on the stats of the caster.
Main ability: augment and hex
Secondary ability: Damage

Lore Attribute:
Forecasting: The Norse Volva has an innate ability to forecast the future with the use of Seidar Magic. Each time she successfully casts one of her spells, she immediately gets a glimpse of the immediate future and can pass the vision on to her people, as a warning for dangers ahead. After a successful cast, nominate one friendly unit within 12". The affected unit may then re-roll 1’s when rolling armour saves until the start of the next Norse player's turn.

Spirit of the North (8+) (signature spell)
The seer invites the ancient spirits of the north to manifest within her body, empowering her for aslong as she can endure the burden.

Remains in Play. Spirit of the Ancient Widow is an augment spell that is cast on the Wizard. The Wizard gains a D3+1 bonus to her Weapon Skill, Strength and Attacks (roll once). In addition, the wizard is affected by Regeneration (6+) special rule, and if the caster already has Regeneration, this spell will improve his regeneration special rule by one point (to a maximum of Regeneration (3+).

1. Fenrir Nails (5+)
The seer tears off her nails and throws them with murderous intentions.

This spell is a magic missile with the range of 24”. It inflicts D6+4 Strength 2 hits to an enemy unit. The seer may use her own Strength characteristic instead of the normal Strength 2. If she does so, the casting value is raised to 8+.

2. Spirit of the Fallen Warriors (5+)
The seer manifest her spirit of rigor.

This spell can be cast as a Hex or as an Augmented spell with a range of 18” and last until the next friendly magic phase.

Hex. The affected unit will have their Weapon Skill lowered by -1 (minimum of 1). Augmented. The affected unit will have their Weapon Skill increased by +1. The caster may choose to cast a more powerful version of this spell. The affected unit use the caster’s Weapon Skill characteristic instead of their own. If she does so, the casting value goes up to 8+.

3. Spirit of the Weres (8+)
The seer manifests his spirits of vigor.

This spell can be cast as a Hex or as an Augmented spell with a range of 18” and last until the next friendly magic phase.

Hex. The affected unit will have their Attacks lowered by -1 (minimum of 1). Augmented. The affected unit will have their Attacks increased by +1. The caster may choose to cast a more powerful version of this spell. The affected unit use the caster’s Attack characteristic instead of their own. If she does so, the casting value goes up to 11+.

4. Bloodfield (9+)
The seer whispers hush vile words to summon the traditional Norse fighting arena.

Bloodfield is a direct damage spell. Place the small round template within 24” – it then scatters D6”. All models under the template will make a single close combat attack against their own unit – work out hits and wounds as a normal close combat round. The caster may choose to cast a more powerful version of this spell. The affected units use the caster’s Strength characteristic instead of their own. If she does so, the casting value goes up to 12+.

5. Spirit of the Jotuns (9+)
The seer manifest his spirit of might.

Hex. The affected unit will have their Strength lowered by -1 (minimum of 1). Augmented. The affected unit will have their Strength increased by +1. The caster may choose to cast a more powerful version of this spell. The affected unit use the caster’s Strength characteristic instead of their own. If she does so, the casting value goes up to 12+.

6. Invoking the Forefathers (17+)
The sky opens up as the Volva calls for Hel’s aid. A pillar of Raenir spirits charges the Volva's enemy from above and drags them down to the realm of the dead.

This spell is a direct damage spell with the range of 12”. Every model in the unit must pass a Weapon Skill test (as they are trying to fend off the spirits) or be removed as a casualty. The Wizard may choose to extend the range of this spell to 24". If she does so, the casting value is raised to 20+. Due to the strong will of characters, they only suffer a wound if they failed their Weapon Skill test with no save possible.

Lore of Ice:
focus: Frost and weather to control Movement phase and deny successful charges (fits well with army's Counter-attack special rule)
Main ability: modifies movement characteristic and forces opponent to take dangerous terrain tests.
secondary ability: Leadership denial (march blocking, panic tests (again to control movement and table areas)

Lore attribute:
Frostbound:As the ice magic manifest on its victims, it traps and freezes them making it almost impossible to move. Each time a wizard successfully cast one of her spells and it effects or cause an unsaved wound to an enemy unit, each model in that unit must take a dangerous terrain test next time they move.

Frost Spear (9+) (signature spell)
The wizard conjures a lethal icicle of the land and hurls it at his enemies.

This spell is a magic missile spell with a range of 24”. It inflicts a single Strength 5 hit that causes Multiple Wounds (D3) and then penetrates ranks in the same manner as a shot from a bolt thrower. The Wizard can attempt to conjure a larger spear that inflicts a Strength 8 hit, causing Multiple Wounds (D6). If he does so, the casting value is increased with 15+. In addition, whether it was cast with standard or boosted casting value, any unit that suffers one or more unsaved wounds caused by this spell will have their Movement reduced by one point in their next Movement phase.

1. Numbing Cold (6+)
This spell’s unbearable cold freezes the limbs of its victims.

Remians in Play. This spell is a hex spell with a range of 24”. Targeted unit suffers minus D6 to their Movement characteristic to a minimum of 1. The caster may increase the range to 48” but if she does so, the casting value increases to 9+.

2. Frost Blades (7+)
The weapons turn to sparkling blades of Ice.

This spell is an augment spell with a range 12” and lasts until the start of the caster's nect Magic phase. Targeted unit gains Armour Piercing special rule and Initiative 10. The caster may increase the range to 24” but if she does so, the casting value increases to 10+.

3. Walls of Ice (8+)
The wizard summons glacial walls of ice from thin air.

This spell creates D3+1 wall barriers which the caster may place, each individually, anywhere within 18” even in base contact with units. The summoned walls are 6” wide and 1” to 2” tall. At the start of the caster's next Magic phase the Walls of Ice barriers are removed from play.

4. Shrieking Winter's Fury (8+)
The wizard invokes the winter's fury and bellows a freezing wind filled with lost souls, who lost their lives to the frost near the northern nexusus, out towards his enemies.

This spell is a magical vortex which uses the small round template. Once the template is placed, the player then nominates the direction in which the Shrieking Winter's Fury will move. To determine how many inches the template moves, roll an artillery dice and multiply the result by 3. Any enemy unit under the template will suffer a minus 1 to their leadership until the start of the casters next magic phase. In addition, after the leadership modifier has been applied, the affected units must immediately take a panic test. Once the vortex has moved its full distance, it is removed from play.

5. Blizzard (14+)
The wizard summons a powerful snow storm which sweeps over the battlefield.

This spell is a hex that lasts until the caster's next Magic phase. To determine which units are affected by this spell, place a suitable marker anywhere on the table and roll the artillery dice and multiply the result by 2. Measures from the placed marker, every unit within the result in inches are affected. Affected units suffer minus D3 to their Movement characteristic, to a minimum of 1. In addition, affected units can’t benefit from Hold your ground and Inspiring Presence special rules, and will fail dangerous terrain tests on a 1 and 2. If a Misfire is rolled, the wizard loses control over the spell; the spell affects the entire battlefield, both friendly units and enemy units.

6. Glacial Imprisonment (16+)
The caster freezes the air around his target creating a prison of ice; the weakest dies instantly as their blood congeal into blobs.

Remains in Play. This spell is a hex with a range of 36”. An affected unit must immediately, and at the start of each subsequent magic phase, take D6 toughness tests per rank. Models that do not pass their toughness test are removed from play, but due to the strong willpower of character models, they suffer D3 wounds instead with no armour saves. In addition, should the unit move while under the effects of the spell, each model in the unit will immediately suffer a Strength 3 hit with no armour save.

This spell can also be cast on buildings. Affected buildings cannot be entered or assaulted. Models inside the affected building cannot shoot or cast magic out of it, nor can they choose to leave it. In addition, a unit inside must immediately, and at the start of each subsequent Magic phase, take 2d6 toughness tests. Models that do not pass their toughness test are removed from play, but due to the strong willpower of character models, they suffer D3 wounds instead with no armour saves.

There you go... any fresh ideas, feedback, or improvement is very much appreciated - 2 eyes and one brain is often not enough when it comes to stuff like this

Grim Squeaker.

matthcnet
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

Re: Designing New Spell Lores (Warhammer Fantasy)

Postby matthcnet » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:28 am

Hey,
I'll feel bad about reigning in on your parade of creativity, but I feel obliged to point out that if you have no plans to introduce mechanics around ice and elements,
then your spells are just going to overlap and copy paste effects from other lores.

In all honesty though, if your committed to making new spells I'd love help or input.
As I have free time I'm having a go at revamping the lores around specific themes and reducing overlap.
I'm having trouble with chaos lores, and some spells for different lores.

Please refer to signature, I'm finally doing up the lores now I have some motivation.
Accumulated community suggestions and rules projects in one place.
Typed up WFB magic lores and sorted by spell type for reference.
Add comments like and subscribe! Or just comments and critiques and suggestions.
http://wiki.9th-edition.org/spacedirectory/view.action

Return to “The Workshop”