Winds of Magic Idea

This is for rules development, house rules and the like

Moderator: Keepers of the Peace

leopard
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

Winds of Magic Idea

Postby leopard » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:50 pm

Simple idea, point being to avoid either having a lot of points in mages that end up doing little, or rolling high and getting no benefit.

simple suggestion.

Player whos turn in is, may at their option, reroll one of the winds of magic dice. thus a magic heavy army can try to get more PD, at the risk of granting more DD, and a magic light army can if they wish lower the totals (assuming they want to).

Possible Arcane Magic item also to allow a reroll of both dice (suggested as a one shot - but also usable in the opposing players turn to force a reroll - if both players have the item the original roll standing if both are used)
Janco Toys - Barnsley
Milton Keynes Wargaming Society - Stony Stratford

Quicker by Tube
http://www.aleopardstail.com/

Halldorben

Re: Winds of Magic Idea

Postby Halldorben » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:51 am

Why would anyone want to get less power dice?

I can only think of one situation, which never happens. You bring only one lvl 1 wizard to a 2000+ point game and you roll a 1 and a 6 on winds of magic, so you reroll that 6 so that your opponent has possibly fewer dispel dice.
Halfling Hot Pot: the last, best hope for peace.

leopard

Postby leopard » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:40 pm

Halldorben wrote:Why would anyone want to get less power dice?

I can only think of one situation, which never happens. You bring only one lvl 1 wizard to a 2000+ point game and you roll a 1 and a 6 on winds of magic, so you reroll that 6 so that your opponent has possibly fewer dispel dice.

ahem.. yes thats perfectly valid as a way to use it, not overly useful but it is possible.
Janco Toys - Barnsley
Milton Keynes Wargaming Society - Stony Stratford

Quicker by Tube
http://www.aleopardstail.com/

BigBoss89

Postby BigBoss89 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:02 pm

My take on a change for Winds of Magic is to allow one channel per/level Wizard.

Table to explain:

A Lv1 Wizard: Channels 1xD6 at 6+.
A Lv2 Wizard: Channels 2xD6 at 6+.
A Lv3 Wizard: Channels 3xD6 at 6+.
A Lv4 Wizard: Channels 4xD6 at 6+.

So should you have a Lv4 Wizard and a Lv2 Wizard you would roll a total of 6xD6 at 6+ when channeling,
while two Lv3 Wizards and a Lv2 Wizard would roll a total of 8xD6 at 6+ when channeling.

This goes for Power Dice as well as for Dispel Dice.

Steve the Unwashed
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Postby Steve the Unwashed » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:34 pm

It makes more sense to me that the higher the level of wizard, the more dice he can throw at a spell. Say a lvl3/4 can be capped at 6 as now, lvl1/2 capped at 4. Makes it more likely that the smaller level wizards fail to cast the big boosted spells which makes sense fluff wise to me. (also stops small horror blocks and warlock units 6 dicing gateway or doombolt).

Assinath

Postby Assinath » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:33 am

Hi there, I notice the discussion on this key issue ceased some time ago, however it is one of continual interest to those of us who still follow V8, partly because we have such large armies - 6000+ points. One of the issues, is that as armies get larger their nature changes. This doesn't effect Dwarfs because as they get bigger and bigger they just add more and more guns. But for magic-rich armies, such as any of the Elf armies or Vampires, the nature of the army is severely effected by V8 rules - they can still only throw 2D6 for winds of magic. For my Dark Elf army I field 3 lvl 4 Sorceresses. For my greenskins, I field a lvl 4 Orc Shaman and 2 lvl 4 Night Goblin shaman. Their impact on an opposing large army which may have 100 models in a unit, or may consist of three or four or five hordes, can be minimal. To get around this, we have a house rule. Over 6000 points, we roll 3D6 and the opponent gets the total of the top 2 dice for dispel dice. This allows for lots more magic, but the difference between spell and dispel, and the challenges of whether to spell or dispel, remain the same. Just a thought.

Return to “The Workshop”